Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Father, son, Church pastorates

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Father, son, Church pastorates Cojak
Many churches in the USA and abroad pass from Father to son, Some are successful some falter because the Son is not what the Dad was...

That is common in Non-denominations and in denominations. It also happens in the COG. MOST of the time because the men's council agrees with the Senior pastor when he suggests it and the overseer goes along.

A good idea and a bad idea me thinks. I still think a vote should be taken on a Sunday morning and the vote should carry the most weight.

Opinions?
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
11/19/23 2:45 pm

Post sheepdogandy
I know of two Congregations in the A/G where it happened

Both are very successful

In our case the Church Constitution dictates the procedure for Pastoral succession

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
11/20/23 10:00 am

Post caseyleejones
I have seen this local and abroad. Right now Jesus Image Church in Florida has packed out crowds. It was originally Benny Hinns church. Sold to Clint Brown went into bankruptcy. Now his daughter and son in law have taken it over and it is packed with young people. I know that is not what you are addressing but worth a note. Acts-perienced Poster
11/21/23 4:32 pm

Post Cojak
caseyleejones wrote:
I have seen this local and abroad. Right now Jesus Image Church in Florida has packed out crowds. It was originally Benny Hinns church. Sold to Clint Brown went into bankruptcy. Now his daughter and son in law have taken it over and it is packed with young people. I know that is not what you are addressing but worth a note.

To tell the truth I am glad to hear of most any church having crowds attend.
11/21/23 5:37 pm

Post FLRon
I have always been opposed to family succession in the church. I believe it fosters the idea of favoritism and cronyism, both alive and well in the church of God. To me, it’s copying the worldly system of generational success as seen in some companies. I’d much rather sit under a pastor who has earned his stripes instead of having them given to him by daddy.
12/2/23 4:40 pm

Post Link
I see a plurality of elders in one church in scripture. If both a father and son fit the requirements of being elder, that's fine, but if there are other elders, then it looks like a bit less of a case of nepotism.

It's less messy if we aren't talking about a decent full-time income, and just one of them at that, that goes along with a job passed from father to son.

Regarding neopotism. Peter and Andrew, and James and John were sets of brothers. They were paired together. Maybe they went out together, two by two. Mark calls Levi the son of Alphaeus. If Levi is Matthew, then notice this in Matthew 10

"and Matthew the publican; James the son of Alphaeus". Maybe since Matthew/Levi's designation of 'publican' he wasn't also called the son of Alphaeus in the passage.
Acts-perienced Poster
12/5/23 1:46 pm

Post Cojak
FLRon wrote:
I have always been opposed to family succession in the church. I believe it fosters the idea of favoritism and cronyism, both alive and well in the church of God. To me, it’s copying the worldly system of generational success as seen in some companies. I’d much rather sit under a pastor who has earned his stripes instead of having them given to him by daddy.

A lot is said there my friend. It is very hard not to see it that way! Smile Cool
12/6/23 11:20 am

Post The power to appoint pastors is guarded by most AB's roughridercog
It us essentially "the way we've always done it" and a great way to put men into key positions that will support both the AB and the state program.
But larger churches are learning.
If they start a satellite church the local church can put who that want over that.
Now back to the original question.
Why wouldn't you appoint a son to follow a pastor? If it works, great! The ones who will whine the loudest about it will be those who are sore they weren't considered for the church.
There, said it and I'm glad.
12/14/23 1:22 pm

Post The power to appoint pastors is guarded by most AB's roughridercog
It us essentially "the way we've always done it" and a great way to put men into key positions that will support both the AB and the state program.
But larger churches are learning.
If they start a satellite church the local church can put who that want over that.
Now back to the original question.
Why wouldn't you appoint a son to follow a pastor? If it works, great! The ones who will whine the loudest about it will be those who are sore they weren't considered for the church.
There, said it and I'm glad.
12/14/23 1:22 pm

Post Re: The power to appoint pastors is guarded by most AB's Cojak
roughridercog wrote:
Why wouldn't you appoint a son to follow a pastor? If it works, great! ........

I definitely agree, with the line "If it Works".... That is always the proving point. Cool Cool Cool

Love you Bro!
12/19/23 7:49 pm

Post UncleJD
sheepdogandy wrote:
I know of two Congregations in the A/G where it happened

Both are very successful

In our case the Church Constitution dictates the procedure for Pastoral succession

Our AG home church in Red Oak, TX did this, and it went from successful with the foundation laid under the father's pastorate to a near "mega church" under his son's. It has since passed to a non-family member as lead pastor though the previous pastor still retains an honorary position and may indeed have some control, I'm not sure. It is still doing very well. We had a hundred baptisms 2 weeks ago and over 50 gave their lives to Jesus that same day at the close of the service. Over 500 baptisms in 2023. God is good.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
12/22/23 12:08 pm

Post sheepdogandy
Hey, that's great!

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
12/22/23 3:23 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic