Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

COG SS then and now

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post COG SS then and now Cojak
I am going from memory here and might miss some points, but in the 1950’s the CoG had SS contests nation wide for 4 weeks. The winning pastors won trips, most of them were to some parts of the mission fields methinks.

Since my dad was a real big SS pusher he got our church very involved. He was a winner in two of those years.

My dad was born a farmer. He had to quit school in the 3rd grade to become a full time farm hand. As long as I can remember back, he has wanted kids to live and enjoy their childhood. As a kid his only candy had been a ‘peppermint stick’ a couple times a year.

He spent many days as a pastor visiting on mill hills to find unchurched children and ask the parents to allow him to pick them up on Sunday morn. Yes he was from the time that pastors spent early Sun Morn picking up people for church. Most pastors that could not afford a bus did that. When I got my driver’s license it became my job, of course I loved that.

Once back when you could drop fliers from the old prop airplanes, he had a thousand fliers printed and dropped them over Burlington. “Bring this leaflet to the Burlington Church of God and get a peppermint stick.” He laughed and laughed as he spent the week giving out the candy because he did not mention bring it to Sunday School. LOL Next time he did it right.

Valdese he rented a Tow truck with a wreck car. He towed it all day on every street in that small town with a sign that read: “IF YOUR LIFE IS A WRECK COME TO VALDESE CURCH OF GOD SUNDAY SCHOOL TO GET IT FIXED!”
In Belmont he gave away a car and a pony. He increased church and SS attendance in every church he pastored.

In his early pastoring he heard a statement attributed to the Catholic Church that said, “GIVE US A CHILD UNTIL HE IS 8 YRS OLD AND HE WILL ALWAYS BE A CATHOLIC.” He realized the truth in that and wanted kids in church. I heard him tell a young preacher starting a church, “As you go ahead, get you up to 20 kids from 8-14 and keep them 10- years and you will have a church.

I have talked to adults that remember dad. Kyle Taylor a very popular singer from our area told me he remembered dad taking him to church in High Shoals.

SS is not the same today as it was. Back then SS was teaching and entertaining to kids. Stories, flannel graphs, puppets etc. Today they have so many outlets it is hard to compete. Even little leagues play games on Sundays.

Sunday School is NOT a priority today. Did you know there are many kids that do not know the standard Bible stories. Last week I mentioned Daniel and reading the writing on the wall and an Adult lady said I never heard that before.

Odd the simple things learned on a flannel graph!
That is my story…. My dad was one of the good guys!

BF Darnell
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/2/23 3:52 pm

Post Re: COG SS then and now Link
Cojak wrote:

In his early pastoring he heard a statement attributed to the Catholic Church that said, “GIVE US A CHILD UNTIL HE IS 8 YRS OLD AND HE WILL ALWAYS BE A CATHOLIC.”

It seems like I read this about Ignatius Loyola and catechism. Catechism earlier in church history would have been lessons for those who were preparing to be baptized to make sure they understood the faith before being baptized. I guess they would baptize their own quickly but wanted to shield the church from quick converts bringing in pagan ideas and spreading them throughout the church.

Then interest in catechism died down, but the Protestants brought it back, teaching specific doctrinal lessons. There are catechisms nowadays based on confessions, like Westminster or those various European confessions. After the Protestants did that, Ignatius Loyola promoted Roman Catholic catechisms as a part of what came to be called the Counter-reformation. He said, “Give me a child until he is 7, and I will give you the man.” So he would focus on detailed instruction in doctrine toward small children.

I do Bible study with my kids just about every night. Occasionally, I let a night slip past maybe once every few months or don't do it if we go to church, and usually then we pray. But I could probably have been more diligent instructing my own children.

Maybe Pentecostals could use some more rigor with the little ones. I don't think we should go for this Hippie Dippie idea of just exposing kids to our faith and then letting them decide as if it doesn't matter. We should deeply engrain it with great diligence and intensity, especially our own children. Then they will decide, of course.

I thumbed through a book at a Christian bookstore 'Rediscovering Catechism' that contained some of the ideas above. It was written by a Reformed type guy. But I thought it had good ideas in it.

And I used to be in A/G Bible Quiz where teens memorized books of the Bible and sat at a table with buzzers had competed to answer questions. The teams I was one were pretty decent. We went to nationals once or twice as I recall. I'd have to look up the years. Competition was intense.

I called the guy who made the study guides as a young adult. I thought about doing Bible Quiz in Indonesia, starting it. When I went there, I tried to make some contacts at Christian schools to try to start something, but I was buried with work. I called Brother George Edgerly.

He was telling me about Junior Bible Quiz, which had simple Bible based doctrinal questions and was for kids up through middle school. That one might have had broader participation. He told of a Romanian missionary doing it, using fly swats instead of buzzers, a brilliant low-tech solution I would probably never have thought of.

He called it a 'scriptural catechism', if I recall correctly. The one exception some users of other denominations did not like was an initial evidence question, where the answer is not from the Bible. If I ever promoted that in Indonesia or elsewhere, I think I'd toss that question and try to make it non-denominational. Denominations could develop their own versions of Bible quiz. That's what happened, since Bible quiz was started as non-denominational, I heard, in the 1950's, and the non-denominational thing died after denominations like the A/G developed their own programs.

I think the COG has their own, but it is smaller than the A/Gs... or was. Broadening participation, maybe making it less competitive, making it less about Bible-studying nerds quoting scripture in super speed, was a topic I heard some Bible Quiz people discussing in the past (without the use of the word 'nerd.'.
Acts-perienced Poster
10/2/23 4:41 pm

Post Re: COG SS then and now georgiapath
Cojak wrote:
I am going from memory here and might miss some points, but in the 1950’s the CoG had SS contests nation wide for 4 weeks. The winning pastors won trips, most of them were to some parts of the mission fields methinks.

Since my dad was a real big SS pusher he got our church very involved. He was a winner in two of those years.

My dad was born a farmer. He had to quit school in the 3rd grade to become a full time farm hand. As long as I can remember back, he has wanted kids to live and enjoy their childhood. As a kid his only candy had been a ‘peppermint stick’ a couple times a year.

He spent many days as a pastor visiting on mill hills to find unchurched children and ask the parents to allow him to pick them up on Sunday morn. Yes he was from the time that pastors spent early Sun Morn picking up people for church. Most pastors that could not afford a bus did that. When I got my driver’s license it became my job, of course I loved that.

Once back when you could drop fliers from the old prop airplanes, he had a thousand fliers printed and dropped them over Burlington. “Bring this leaflet to the Burlington Church of God and get a peppermint stick.” He laughed and laughed as he spent the week giving out the candy because he did not mention bring it to Sunday School. LOL Next time he did it right.

Valdese he rented a Tow truck with a wreck car. He towed it all day on every street in that small town with a sign that read: “IF YOUR LIFE IS A WRECK COME TO VALDESE CURCH OF GOD SUNDAY SCHOOL TO GET IT FIXED!”
In Belmont he gave away a car and a pony. He increased church and SS attendance in every church he pastored.

In his early pastoring he heard a statement attributed to the Catholic Church that said, “GIVE US A CHILD UNTIL HE IS 8 YRS OLD AND HE WILL ALWAYS BE A CATHOLIC.” He realized the truth in that and wanted kids in church. I heard him tell a young preacher starting a church, “As you go ahead, get you up to 20 kids from 8-14 and keep them 10- years and you will have a church.

I have talked to adults that remember dad. Kyle Taylor a very popular singer from our area told me he remembered dad taking him to church in High Shoals.

SS is not the same today as it was. Back then SS was teaching and entertaining to kids. Stories, flannel graphs, puppets etc. Today they have so many outlets it is hard to compete. Even little leagues play games on Sundays.

Sunday School is NOT a priority today. Did you know there are many kids that do not know the standard Bible stories. Last week I mentioned Daniel and reading the writing on the wall and an Adult lady said I never heard that before.

Odd the simple things learned on a flannel graph!
That is my story…. My dad was one of the good guys!

BF Darnell

Good post.
Acts-dicted
10/2/23 6:39 pm

Post skinnybishop
This is a great post that brings up several items for discussion.

I've often heard, "The Church of God hasn't done a good job discipling believers".

My response to that is, "You have to have logs, in order to run a sawmill".
In other words, to have a class, you have to have students.

The best educators, in the best schools, with the best facilities, can't be effective, when students are in class sporadically.

I was recently in a Christian school board meeting, reviewing applicants for a specific position. The applicants were asked, "Do you faithfully attend worship services, at your church".

Of course, everyone answers, "Yes".

The next question is: "How often?"

The applicants answers were "Once a month" and "Twice a month".

Its hard to disciple when "faithful in church" = "once a month"
10/3/23 9:46 am

Post Amen, Cojak! Aaron Scott
Back in the 80s, our church in Tampa won the award for "Fastest Growing Sunday School" and, I believe, "Morning Worship" for our size category.

I was literally writing handwritten letters to those who attended. I did it week after week. Eventually, though, we settled into a new normal.

Then, some time later, a nearby Church of God and us decided to have a contest about Sunday School. I believe we won, but it was a challenge!

Sunday School seems almost "lite" compared to my childhood. It seemed like there was more meat, so to speak.

While no one else may ever live it that way again, praise the Lord that He allowed US to experience such a glorious thing.

And for those in Florida, there was not even a close second when it came to Children's Church with Wilbur and Grace Thrush! INCREDIBLE!
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/3/23 10:47 am

Post Aaron said Cojak
And for those in Florida, there was not even a close second when it came to Children's Church with Wilbur and Grace Thrush! INCREDIBLE!

Yes and Yes, I did not know them, but that became a great ministry AFTER SS sorta fell by the way. BUT finding THAT person (s) who can deliver on the child's level the message of Jesus.

It is sad to say today, More youth than not, know nothing about David, Sampson, Moses, etc than their names. When our SS's were roaring, the kids knew Jesus the disciples, and All the more famous OT stories.

We will probably not see that again but I remember when kids could not wait for Sunday School, the comradery and the 'true stories.'

Our church has good children's church leaders even though they have less than 8 children, THEY TEACH THEM!
10/3/23 7:41 pm

Post skinnybishop
I can't count the number of young couples that are "around our church", but not regularly "in our church". They have kids who love our Children's Church and Wednesday night programs. They have kids who want to be involved and want to come to church regularly.

The problem is their parents bring them "when they can".

Three out of four weekends, they are at travel ball tournament, a dance recital, or on a getaway to the mountains/beach.

There is a young lady in our church, who is about 10 years old. She told my wife (in Children's Church) she wanted to be baptized.

My wife told her to talk to her parents, and have them come talk to pastor.

We haven't seen them in three weeks.

I've got kids who want to sing in the choir, play instruments, etc. Unfortunately, about twice a month, they travel to livestock shows.

If it were simply parents sitting at home, with kids wanting to be here, we could fix that. We could go pick the kids up and bring them to church. Sadly, the parents are choosing to take their kids to other places, out of town, on Sundays.
10/4/23 8:15 am

Post What we found in our area... Aaron Scott
First, one size does not fit all in church outreach, etc. Things that worked well at one church may not even cause a ripple somewhere else.

We found that in our community, so long as WE would come get the kids and bring them home, the parents were quite good with it.

But as soon as those moved a few miles away, those parents wouldn't even bring their own kids to church--even though we would bring them home. (We'd have picked them up too, but it was getting to the place where we'd go to pick them up, but no one was up or ready.

Worse, if the kids were putting on a play or special singing performance, only SOMETIMES did their parents show up to see it.

They used to say that if you could get a kid in church, you could get the whole family. I don't put much stock in that anymore. Nowadays, I figure if you can get the PARENTS in, they can ensure that their kids get there too.

I see everyone of those children as victims of premarital childbirth, drugs, imprisonment, and the such. IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THAT WAY!!!! God help these lacksadasical parents.
10/4/23 11:56 am

Post FLRon
“I see everyone of those children as victims of premarital childbirth, drugs, imprisonment, and the such. IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THAT WAY!!!! God help these lacksadasical parents”.

Indeed. I said this very thing in a sermon recently when I mentioned some of the reasons why society is on the fast track away from God. Our children have grown up in a society where murdering the unborn is normal. They’ve grown up in a society where parents can’t be bothered to get their kids in Sunday school or children’s church, but think nothing of driving 3 hours to a ball tournament or dance recital.

These adults may be good friends with their kids but they are lousy parents!
10/5/23 6:08 am

Post Preacher777
Thanks for all of the enlightening posts in this thread. The local Baptist church in our area has a huge Sunday school attendance while us Spirit filled churches either don't have Sunday school or very few in attendance. I am curious, is this just particular to our area or do the Baptist churches in other areas have a much higher level of participation? Friendly Face
10/7/23 6:25 am

Post Cojak
Preacher777 wrote:
Thanks for all of the enlightening posts in this thread. The local Baptist church in our area has a huge Sunday school attendance while us Spirit filled churches either don't have Sunday school or very few in attendance. I am curious, is this just particular to our area or do the Baptist churches in other areas have a much higher level of participation?

All the comments here are very good and enlightening, Also the point of the many children with one parent.

My granddaughter has her daughters' in church at a local Baptist Church. And YES they are more aggressive in our area of NC than the Pentecostals & others. We are proud of her for getting that great grand in church.
10/7/23 9:48 am

Post My opinion? roughridercog
I honestly think the terms give negative memories in the minds of many people. Words like the following: lessons, school, study, class, teacher. I'm surprised how many of our church people have such a negative and defeated attitude regarding their own intellect because of bad memories they had in school.
Of course, for years "teaching" used to be standing up and re-reading the commentary to the class or reading a verse by verse and asking "What does that mean to you?"
I've always enjoyed "teaching" messages to my church. But all too many times, unless your snotting, snorting, and shouting, people think you're not preaching or not full of the Holy Ghost and anointed.

Plus, take a walk through many of our church buildings. The emphasis is on the sanctuary, the music, fellowship. Then take a look at the classrooms. They are often neglected and unused.
12/8/23 12:33 pm

Post Then and Now 4thgeneration
I grew up in the traditional model of SS preceding the morning service. In fact, we met in the sanctuary, sang a song together, and were dismissed to SS. I remember the attendance pins, worn as badges of honor by those with perfect attendance year after year. We couldn't wear jewelry back in those days, but those pins were an exception to "worldly adornment."

In the church I now pastor we still have traditional SS preceding our morning worship service. We also use other discipleship methods, such as small groups for adults, youth and children, and bible studies for adults. Those happen on Sunday mornings, Sunday evenings, Wednesday evenings, and other times through the week. We decided to expand our discipleship numbers by offering alternative opportunities to those we weren't getting on Sunday morning before service. It has increased the number we have in discipleship exponentially.

It is our Christ given mandate to, "Go... and make disciples..." In these shifting times I feel that we must find ways to more effectively disciple more people who worship with us in the Sunday morning service.

Just my O.
Acts Enthusiast
12/8/23 12:49 pm

Post Sunday School Bummers Aaron Scott
The worst Sunday Schools are those where the teacher just reads the entire lesson to the class.

The best I have been in are the ones where a teacher really studies. I am blessed that our adult SS teacher (and the substitute) are both dedicated to trying to bring something good.

The best I've known was my best friend Mark Akers and my Uncle Howard Scott. They truly dedicated themselves to being ready to teach.
12/12/23 3:08 pm

Post Cojak
These comments are good food. Aaron is absolutely right on real teaching. and 4thgen sounds like a place that invites attendance.

My wife and I DROPPED in on RR once in Western MO, as we traveled across country. We were pleasantly surprised to find a SS with a round table discussion with RR leading and keeping things on track, good leadership. It was a great time and one we will not forget.
12/12/23 8:02 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic