Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

No church = No salvation?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post No church = No salvation? FLRon
A COG pastor recently made the following statement in his sermon: “if you don’t go to church, you cannot be a Christian”. He went on to say that “if you aren’t in church, you are not a saved person”.

Personally, I reject those statements as false, misleading, and divisive. We all know Hebrews 10:25 says “not to forsake the assembling of ourselves together”. There is, however, no single command in scripture that states church attendance is necessary for salvation, at least that I have read.

Obviously the positives of church attendance are many and I certainly agree that one should make church attendance a priority. Also, anyone professing Christ as Lord should want to gather with other believers, in my opinion.

Not taking into account the thief on the cross example of someone who was saved and never attended a church service, we read of many imprisoned believers in communist countries where church is never an option. According to the pastor as noted above, they are lost!

Sorry, but that cannot be true.
12/10/23 3:23 pm

Post Cojak
Ambiguous statements are dangerous. Or maybe one should explain a statement.
I do know there have been times I Should NOT have attended. LOL If it was not for my wife, I would worship from home. My hearing causes me to ask her many times ;What did he say?

I hear well when one using more of a teaching voice, I have been blessed so much during those times, Blessed and taught....

'anyway i must agree with your opinions about the subject. There are definitely reasons for attendance..........

Hope you all had a blessed day.... I still did not attend today, still have the cough and runny nose and a little sore throat, so I definitely did not need to sppread things around.... Smile Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/10/23 9:27 pm

Post There are some churches which teach ... Mat
There are some churches which teach that the center of Christian expression is being in Sunday morning services. While that seems more Catholic than Protestation, denominations like the Church of Christ/Christian Church Disciples of Christ, teach you need to be in Sunday service every week to receive communion from a Church of Christ minister, just as you need to be baptized in water by on of their ministers.

Even the Pentecostal Movement in the US has become so dependent on the Sunday Service, the church many local churches would cease functioning if that time slot was not adhered to. Truth is, like the local church I pastor, if it does not get done on a Sunday morning, it may not get done at all.

Its no surprise that any church that is dependent on the Sunday morning time slot would begin making attendance a matter of having a real experience with God.

Mat

Mat [/list]
Acts Enthusiast
12/11/23 7:37 am

Post Re: There are some churches which teach ... FLRon
Mat wrote:
There are some churches which teach that the center of Christian expression is being in Sunday morning services. While that seems more Catholic than Protestation, denominations like the Church of Christ/Christian Church Disciples of Christ, teach you need to be in Sunday service every week to receive communion from a Church of Christ minister, just as you need to be baptized in water by on of their ministers.

Even the Pentecostal Movement in the US has become so dependent on the Sunday Service, the church many local churches would cease functioning if that time slot was not adhered to. Truth is, like the local church I pastor, if it does not get done on a Sunday morning, it may not get done at all.

Its no surprise that any church that is dependent on the Sunday morning time slot would begin making attendance a matter of having a real experience with God.

Mat

Mat [/list]

Would it be fair to say then that we have corrupted what church was meant to be?
12/11/23 6:19 pm

Post Cojak...you have more sense than many pastors (including this one, I imagine) Aaron Scott
You were raised in this way. You know good and well that this guy is off the reservation in this case. I'm sure his intent was to get people in church. You tend to have the most sense on this site--and have ever since you arrived.

Basically, after 2000 years, this would be a doctrine of the church if it were a heaven or hell issue. While, yes, it's important to be in church, some folks cannot attend. Some attend sporadically.

If you NEVER attend church (when you could), while I wouldn't say you're CANNOT be a Christian, I would feel safe in saying that you PROBABLY are not a Christian, since a Christian would want to follow the Word and assemble together, etc. I hope that stands scrutiny; it's just want I believe.

Love ya, Cojak.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
12/12/23 2:16 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic