Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Western NC Campmeeting

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Western NC Campmeeting FG Minister
I watched some of the WNC Campmeeting online and when they panned the audience, I was shocked at how few people were there. Does anybody know how the campmeeting was received? Acts-celerater
6/24/22 8:35 am

Post Da Sheik
IMHO, camp meeting has become a pastor’s convention for many years now. The laity of the COG today just don’t feel a deep sense of connection like us older ministers did. Before the advent of social media, we looked forward to seeing our brothers and sisters that we would only see once or twice a year.

Taking into account post-Covid church attendance as a whole, gas prices, and the convenience of live-streaming, we should not be surprised by lower attendance numbers. If I’m being honest, there have been times that I only attended because I had agreed to serve in some capacity.

I do believe that most AB’s have been intentional about making the camp meeting experience a blessing for all who attend. There will always be those that try to grandstand and abuse their time on the platform.
Acts Enthusiast
6/24/22 12:08 pm

Post Re: Western NC Campmeeting FLRon
FG Minister wrote:
I watched some of the WNC Campmeeting online and when they panned the audience, I was shocked at how few people were there. Does anybody know how the campmeeting was received?

Interesting to note that the Florida camp meeting was very well attended all week. I’m sure having the GO preaching and singing one night provides a huge boost in attendance.
6/24/22 3:14 pm

Post Cojak
I think Da Sheik hit it on the head about this time in our lives.

However Florida still has it's Camp Ground, and also the Black Florida COG still has an active Camp ground.

WNC leaders I think, were glad the Air Port bought the Camp Ground. Instead of another camp ground they bought/built some 'beautiful offices' in an exclusive area of Charlotte. Now we are UP TOWN!

Folks I know, preachers and members would have preferred another camp ground that they owned.
JMHO.....

I am the old school, I like CAmp Grounds.....

I have not talked to anyone who attended, but from the looks of the crowds, the Central church itself would have had that many attendees.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/24/22 8:53 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Cojak wrote:

However Florida still has it's Camp Ground, and also the Black Florida COG still has an active Camp ground.

WNC leaders I think, were glad the Air Port bought the Camp Ground. Instead of another camp ground they bought/built some 'beautiful offices' in an exclusive area of Charlotte. Now we are UP TOWN!

Folks I know, preachers and members would have preferred another camp ground that they owned.
JMHO.....

I have not talked to anyone who attended, but from the looks of the crowds, the Central church itself would have had that many attendees.

Everyone in my generation (without exception) grieves the loss of the WNC campground. It was a sacred, holy space dedicated to the Lord and its loss is irreplaceable. Many mourn that their kids and grandkids will never know what a special place it was.

Campmeeting is no longer geared toward the laity, IMHO. ENC Campmeeting starts at 6:30pm. Unless you live where it is, it is not convenient or even possible for many working people to get there. If I'm able to see it, it has to be online.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/25/22 11:16 pm

Post THE LOVE OF GOD
Cojak wrote:

JMHO.....

WE had many good campmeetings at Charlotte but I thought they voted to sell and buy another place for campground. What happened to that money? I haven't seen the new office place, but it couldn't have cost what they got for the Charlotte campground. ACCOUNTABILITY!!!
Friendly Face
6/28/22 6:33 am

Post Carolyn Smith
I don't know what was bought or sold, but WNC wound up at the former Paw Creek COG property for a season. I think the Whittier property was purchased but it's so far from Charlotte, it did not take the place of the state office. The Whittier campmeeting is held there, but I don't think it's the official state campmeeting but probably the only campground they own. I have seen where state meetings have taken place in Lincolnton and now in Charlotte.

The former campgrounds on Wilkinson Blvd are now overgrown and in ruins. It's very sad.

I don't know what happened the $ that was made on the airport deal with the city, but it was a very sad day for WNC.
7/1/22 8:00 pm

Post sheepdogandy
What is the current status of the former Paw Creek property?
Who owns it and what is it being used for?

www.spwc.church
7/4/22 12:08 pm

Post Cojak
The Lee College Bible School extension was at Paw Creek until it closed the doors (i Think). Presently (Or the last I heard) the Renovatus COG was active and doing well there. Renovatus (?) is the church that Jonathan Martin successfully planted in Charlotte.
7/4/22 12:40 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Cojak wrote:
The Lee College Bible School extension was at Paw Creek until it closed the doors (i Think). Presently (Or the last I heard) the Renovatus COG was active and doing well there. Renovatus (?) is the church that Jonathan Martin successfully planted in Charlotte.

It appears Renovatus is no longer associated with the COG.

The property was last sold in 2019 for substantially more than it sold for in 2016.
7/4/22 10:02 pm

Post Cojak
Quote Carolyn: It appears Renovatus is no longer associated with the COG.

That is a sad state of affairs. Paw Creek Leadership decisions when Joe was wanting to take it with him back then were driven by COG strong stand on owning. They were backed heavily by the Catholic and Methodist churches who wanted the COG to stay the course because of their own rules about ownership. At least that is what the 3rd in WNC leadership told me at the time.

He said at the time we should have sold it to Joe for a $1.

That statement seems to have been true. WE (COG) have made some wrong decisions, some honest and some pretty mean.

WAter under the bridge, I hope we have learned something over the years. I have no doubt Overseers are driven by their hearts but still MUST look at finances for decisions also, it sure looks bad at times when past and present contradict...... ;-(

Crying or Very sad
7/6/22 5:51 pm

Post sheepdogandy
What a crying shame!

I hope the bureaucrats in Cleveland are pleased.

After all of the hard work Joe, his family and the Congregation put into that property.

Now Cleveland has sold it.

My guess, for thirty pieces of silver.

www.spwc.church
7/11/22 11:06 am

Post THE LOVE OF GOD
sheepdogandy wrote:
What a crying shame!

I hope the bureaucrats in Cleveland are pleased.

After all of the hard work Joe, his family and the Congregation put into that property.

Now Cleveland has sold it.

My guess, for thirty pieces of silver.

Bro. Chambers knew the rules and the way the property was set up in the COG from the beginning. It was COG property as were most other churches. I personally think he did some wrong things too. If they had sold it to him for a $1, other churches would have pulled out and expected the same thing. I think the Western NC COG was lenient with him. If i remember correctly, they let him live on some property until he was able to relocate. He is a good man but he should have abided by the COG rules. JMO
Friendly Face
7/12/22 12:35 am

Post Carolyn Smith
It appears it is still a COG property but the state doesn't own it.

That was a sad chapter in our history, where nobody wins and everybody loses. It is not the only church it's happened to, and it is always a sad story that leaves a bitter taste in everyone's mouths.

There's a small local church here that the same thing happened to. Pastor went independent and took the church with him, and they lost everything they had poured into it for years. It is never pretty. God eventually led the next pastor to go back under a covering and back into the COG and there was some redemption on both sides, but it was a very painful chapter for everyone.

They tried to do two different things that I know of (perhaps more) with the property. Might have been better if they had washed their hands of it. It's ancient history now. Perhaps we should learn from it and move on.
7/12/22 5:52 am

Post sheepdogandy
Bro Chambers position was simple.

This is not the Church of God I joined years ago.

Many could express a similar sentiment.

Great people.

Bad government.

www.spwc.church
7/12/22 1:40 pm

Post Da Sheik
sheepdogandy wrote:
Bro Chambers position was simple.

This is not the Church of God I joined years ago.

Many could express a similar sentiment.

Great people.

Bad government.

There are always 3 sides to every story my friend.
Acts Enthusiast
7/12/22 10:05 pm

Post sheepdogandy
Well, I was there.

The United Methodist judge made the difference.

www.spwc.church
7/13/22 5:10 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic