Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

How would you handle this?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post How would you handle this? SCFIRE
How would you all handle this? This is the second time in the last month that we have received a request like this. We did not answer back on the first one and I feel that maybe we are being probed maybe to try and set us up. This is the message we received. We do have those of the alternate lifestyle visit with us periodically and one couple has been coming for the past 2 years and the attendance is sometimes two or three Sundays in a row and then a few months off. They are treated the same as everyone else but have never tried to go any further than attendance.

We are a lesbian couple. We were attending Movement Church in Charlotte. However the drive has become too much. Therefore we were wondering how would your congregation accept us?[/url]
6/11/22 10:05 am

Post FLRon
Hard to tell if there are ulterior motives from this couple or not without having a discussion with them.

I wonder why the gays who have been attending for 2 years haven’t come any further than sporadic attendance? Are you sure they’re being treated like everyone else? If they weren’t gay, would you have already talked to them about their long absences?
Just a thought. I wish you well as you navigate these waters.
6/11/22 6:03 pm

Post Cojak
This is a tough one for sure. WE allow couples not married but living together to attend, but not take ANY leadership or active day to day operations. WE KNOW by our church standards and beliefs that is sin. I know the lesbian idea rubs the wrong way. I sure would not know what i best for the church and most of all for the Kingdom.
Tough one....... After all our church is supposed to reach out to the sinner...... BUT.....
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/11/22 6:57 pm

Post SCFIRE
On the question about conversation with the couple that comes, yes, we do converse with them and there is no situation there. One of them was born and raised Pentecostal and they do worship. They have never exerted themselves concerning their lifestyles and have even been to our extra activities at times. The have been treated like everyone else as well. I don't know why this request hit me wrong, but I intend to go the high road and tell them they are welcome to come and see if our style works for them. Our congregation has had to deal with other couples coming and they have welcomed them and encouraged them to worship and enjoy. We are not a shut door and usually if people come for any length of time they end up making positive decisions. Thanks for all of the comments. I'm gonna do what is right. lol... Just needed the push.
6/11/22 9:54 pm

Post You Must Refer Them to Your Written Policy FG Minister
All churches must have a written policy about same sex issues. Travis Johnson posted one on Acts-celerate a couple of years ago. Have it passed by your elders, then add it to the "teachings" of your congregation. Refer these people to that statement. This is what I have done twice. No more issues. Acts-celerater
6/13/22 8:44 am

Post Carolyn Smith
I'm not a pastor, but here's my opinion, for what it's worth. It sounds like what you are already doing.

The church doors should be open to any soul in need of a Savior. These are the folks we are called to. But I would be honest with them that while we welcome them to worship with us, it would not change who we are and what we believe. They may hear some preaching that doesn't line up with what they believe, and if they can handle that, they are welcome to come. I'd also make it clear that while they are welcome to be a friend of the church, they would not be eligible for any leadership position like the praise team or teaching, etc., or membership.

And while it's true they might be trying to trap you, it's equally possible they have been rejected elsewhere and are just looking for a place that would love them.

The COG has a couple of position papers about same sex marriage, and I think there is a resolution somewhere on the COG page that your church could use as a guideline for an official position (whether you are COG or not.)
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/13/22 7:55 pm

Post sheepdogandy
How about a dose of Holy Ghost conviction.

www.spwc.church
6/15/22 11:20 am

Post My thoughts.... Aaron Scott
Remember the woman who washed Jesus' feet (Mary, Martha's sister)? She washed Jesus' feet WHILE she was a sinner. He did not reject her worship. In fact, He forgave her of her sins!

Someone who is living in sin CANNOT have all that we have. But if they simply want to worship, let them. It's not up to us to accept or reject their worship. Our job is to preach the gospel, not allow sin to have a place in authority, etc.
6/21/22 7:44 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
You be honest with them and tell them that your church teaches that homosexuals aren’t accepted at your church. They don’t need to attend where they aren’t fully accepted as who they are. It will be toxic for them and upsetting for your people. Be honest. Acts-pert Poster
6/22/22 9:30 am

Post LonghornFan
Eddie Robbins wrote:
You be honest with them and tell them that your church teaches that homosexuals aren’t accepted at your church. They don’t need to attend where they aren’t fully accepted as who they are. It will be toxic for them and upsetting for your people. Be honest.

It would be incorrect to tell them that "homosexuals aren't accepted" at my church. Everyone is accepted. We just don't accept homosexuality as a lifestyle and neither does God. By the way, heterosexual adultery, fornication, drunkenness, gossip, slander, and lying are also acceptable, but adulterous, fornicators, gossipers, slanderers, and liars are accepted any time!
Friendly Face
7/1/22 8:42 pm

Post Re: How would you handle this? Link
SCFIRE wrote:
How would you all handle this? This is the second time in the last month that we have received a request like this. We did not answer back on the first one and I feel that maybe we are being probed maybe to try and set us up. This is the message we received. We do have those of the alternate lifestyle visit with us periodically and one couple has been coming for the past 2 years and the attendance is sometimes two or three Sundays in a row and then a few months off. They are treated the same as everyone else but have never tried to go any further than attendance.

We are a lesbian couple. We were attending Movement Church in Charlotte. However the drive has become too much. Therefore we were wondering how would your congregation accept us?[/url]

You could write about salvation first, then talk about discipleship and the expectation that people who join in fellowship, members or not, follow Christ. You could share testimonies of those who have been delivered from sin, with their permission, especially if you have someone in the church who used to live a homosexual lifestyle.

You could quote I Corinthians 5, say that those who live in sexual immorality should not partake of communion and write a long treatise on the problem with a sexually immoral lesbian lifestyle.

Honestly as far as accountability, church discipline, etc. is concerned, most of Pentecostalism and American evangelicalism seems to bear little resemblance to what the Bible teaches on the issue of keeping leaven out of the church.
Acts-perienced Poster
7/5/22 11:19 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic