Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Sin, degrees of sin?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Sin, degrees of sin? Cojak
I will always remember in my childhood ministers especially COG, would say Sanctified Christians did not commit sin. BUT admitted that we Christians did 'make mistakes'. Now I hear openly from the pulpit that we DO SIN and of course must ask forgiveness.
Early on the COG we took the stand if one sinned, they lost it all and must again pray thru to salvation, Sanctification and a refilling of the Holy Ghost.
Do you see 'degrees of sin?' Such as our laws of the land that treat theft much less than murder.
Is SIN simply SIN, I was reading a theory of degrees of punishment in Hell i.e. the atheist will hurt far more than the minor thief.

Sometimes I think some things cannot be known, but here I am asking.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
5/6/22 10:42 am

Post Eddie Robbins
1 Corinthians 6:18 seems to differentiate between sins. I have always thought that sin that harmed others was worse. Acts-pert Poster
5/6/22 2:08 pm

Post Cojak
Eddie Robbins wrote:
1 Corinthians 6:18 seems to differentiate between sins. I have always thought that sin that harmed others was worse.

I definitely agree with that from a human standpoint, that is for sure. Cool
5/6/22 5:37 pm

Post Cojak...some thoughts. Aaron Scott
ANY sin will keep you from being justified before God. (NOTE: As I have indicated elsewhere, I don't believe you are on your way to hell the moment you sin, but believe that God gives you space to repent--as He did "that woman, Jezebel" in Revelation).

So all sins are equal IN THAT WAY (i.e., that they can keep you from being right with God).

HOWEVER, there is absolutely degrees of sinfulness. To me, this is one of the best arguments for Purgatory. A genocidal maniac like Hitler ABSOLUTELY deserves worse that then the 14-year-old kid who stole a candy bar from the store.

EITHER will send you to hell, but God Himself gave different penalties for certain crimes. If you kill someone, the penalty is death. If you kill a cow...it's some form of restitution.

So...in terms of standing before God, all sin corrupts. But there are still degrees of sin. Note the following verse:

Revelation 2:24 But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/17/22 11:49 am

Post Cojak
Up until this year I have thought of God as a good father. One that once he accepted you as a son would never disown you. I have said once my sons were in my family, they would NEVER 'NOT' be part of my family. That thought has been challenged to the depths this year, I cannot believe I am now on that fence..........
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I would appreciate any and all your prayers. Confused
5/17/22 12:25 pm

Post Cojak...consider Aaron Scott
It would take an AWFUL LOT for us to disown a son, saying they were dead to us, etc.

Well, as Jesus pointed out, "If ye, then, being evil...how much more will your Father in heaven...." In other words, it takes a lot to make us consider disowning a son or the such. In fact, I imagine after we cooled down, we'd feel differently.

Now, consider that if WE are that long-suffering and would change our minds, HOW MUCH MORE WILL GOD?

Cojak, you simply CANNOT TRUST GOD to be as judgmental as you want Him to be on folks. He has let me down time after time by, instead of smiting them and the whole nest of vipers, I'll be if He doesn't show them grace and mercy...which sometimes even forces me to forgive them. it's pitiful, I tell you.

You can depend on the devil to ALWAYS come through with with devilish stuff. But not God! Nope. Instead of hurling lightning bolts, he sends gentle rains on their crops, keeps them save.

It's enough to make a person backslide.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/23/22 2:03 pm

Post skinnybishop
Jesus answered, “You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above. Therefore the one who handed me over to you is guilty of a greater sin.”
5/25/22 12:56 pm

Post FLRon
The Bible is clear that there are various degrees of sin. Even common sense tells us that sin such as stealing a candy bar is far less a sin than murdering a fellow human. At the same time, as it concerns both the eternal consequences of sin and eternal salvation of the righteous, all sins are the same.

All sin will lead to eternal condemnation and separation from God, an eternity in Hell. Look at chapter six of Romans, verse 23:

“For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord”.

All sin, no matter how small or insignificant we think it is, is sin against a holy, eternal God. As such, sin is deserving of an eternal penalty.

Now, aren’t y’all thankful for grace?
5/25/22 1:54 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic