Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Special Memories of Doyle

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Special Memories of Doyle Carolyn Smith
I was just thinking about a way to honor Doyle on the board tomorrow as he is laid to rest. I've been a part of the board for probably 10-15 years but have not been here since the beginning. I know there was a different board that preceded this one (the E-Z board?)

What are your fond memories of Doyle and the board? Are there any infamous pranks that were pulled? (I know there are some with another discussion board I was a part of.) Any conversations/arguments/discussions that were memorable? What's the thing you appreciated most about Doyle? Did his interactions with you make a memorable impression on you?

Maybe some of our folks that don't post here anymore could pop in and share some memories. Some of you lurkers come out of the woodwork!

What are your favorite memories of Doyle?
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/2/22 9:55 am

Post Cojak
Great idea, I hope it works, would be great. I have an idea there are MANY out there.... Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
4/2/22 12:30 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Well, it's been a busy day here on my end. I've checked the site a couple of times but haven't taken the time yet to post till now.

When I joined the ACTs board, it was a lot busier. It was before Facebook and the other social media sites had become popular for adults, so there was a lot of discussion here. Sometimes I was outraged by certain posts. I was astonished at first that there were so many COG ministers who didn't believe in the teachings I'd embraced all my life. At first I got really upset but I learned through the years that drama happens on discussion boards, and I had to learn not to allow myself to get caught up in it. Of course, there were some posters who just liked to stir the pot, and having most people post under pen names did not help that! I remember in one discussion, someone confessed to having more than one pen name on the board and sometimes he would even argue with one of his other pen names to stir things up! LOL

I think we still have a lot of lurkers but not as many posters, which is sad in a way. But I guess everything has its time and purpose.

Doyle was one of the constants. Though he was busy for the Lord elsewhere, he had a passion for other ministers and helping and encouraging ministers/others. He kept things on an even keel. He bent over backwards to keep the peace and often gave 2nd and 3rd chances to some who didn't feel they deserved it. Most of the time when I e-mailed Doyle, it was because of something happening that I felt he was unaware of and asked him to check out or intervene. And most of the time he did. He ALWAYS told me how much he valued my opinion and input on the board, and as one of the few non-clergy people here, that meant a lot to me.

What a wonderful assortment of brothers and sisters we have had here and we've had the privilege to meet via the internet, people we would have never known any other way.

Memory was one of the frequent posters here when I came, and he has since gone to be with the Lord. I've thought of others who have come and gone...some never to be heard of again. I always wondered who Lord Chancellor was. He gave very witty and thoughtful posts (and sometimes aggravated me) but I was sad that he left. I always hated when someone left and we lost that voice. (Well, most of them...some I was not so sad to see leave...) Smile

I was thinking about different people the other day who have come & gone, and I couldn't remember one guy's name, just that his thing was "More cowbell!" (That was Brad.) I think he was eventually banned after posting a lot of uh..strange things...

I've told y'all about my life and you've helped pray me through some things. Still praying through some of them. That's one of the things I love about a discussion board...it's not just about a particular thing we have a passion for, but it becomes about getting to know each other with only a keyboard to share that. Doyle made this space for all of us to share, and for that I will be forever grateful to him. He was a man who was dedicated to God and His people and he particularly loved ministers and had a heart to help them, draw them together, and he made a safe place for them to share their hearts when they were confused or hurting.

Blessings on Doyle and his family today as they move forward and begin the process of working through losing such a fine man of God. Please continue to keep them in your thoughts and prayers...

Maybe some more of you have things you'd like to share about Doyle and the board...
4/3/22 6:03 pm

Post Cojak
Ahhh Carolyn. You voiced many of my very thoughts. Even a couple commenters I truly miss. I do like to think of Doyle and how he held up under the situations that some try to say from saint to sinner. He was insightful to start ACTS. I was late coming in but like you learned a lot.

I truly appreciate men like 'Da Sheik whose posts and comments were always logical and expressed the soul of a Christian.
Doyle picked some good guys as moderators and even some of the banning's I did not like, I never thought they were mean.

YES I will miss Doyle and what he started here. I do really like to hear stories from those who were close to him. I do hope more enter here. Embarassed Doyle was definitely unique.... Cool Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
4/3/22 7:47 pm

Post To Honor Miss Carolyns Request Old Time Country Preacher
I never met Doyle personally, but me an him had us some good correspondin at times. He once posted that OTCP was one a the most prolific posters on Acts, which made me know Doyle was a real smart feller, an made OTCP real humble like an all.

An thanks to Doyle providin Actscelerate for us fellers, I come across a lotta wonderful folk, an also some wackos too. Heres a few what comes to mind.

1. The Rev Dr Shane--Born in MS/TN--Vaughn. Son, at boy was so full a serpent seed it was not funny. He evened threatened OTCP one time in a PM cause the ole timer ask him about usin at 2-year-olds SS# for insurance purposes.

2. Brad the Mad Calvinist Lad. At feller was more Calvinistic than Calvin.

3. Mem3, RR, OTCP. Soooonnnnnnnnnnnn, at was one more trio right there when they got goin an all.

4. DHDRabbi. I still remember ole Eddie havin baptisms in his swimmin pool.

5. Penney4yathoughts. The gal added a bunch to the conversation.

6. Checkered Past was show nuff checkered.

7. All the woffies what was always tryin to promote word a faith error.

8. BoundforBeaulah was always so courteous an friendly an all.

9. Sister Maybelle Jones from the early days of Acts.

10. And, who could fergit all the executive council what posted here under pen names, hey, them boys loved this place too.

Now, all them what ever posted here, hey, we all thank Doyle fer Actscelerate. RIP dear brother.
Acts-pert Poster
4/3/22 9:18 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Thanks, OTCP & Cojak.

Shane has been rebirthed on Youtube and Facebook. He doesn't visit us anymore. Bless his heart.

It's about time for another visit from Beaulah.

We didn't mention Bonnie. That gal could hold her own in a conversation. Miss her since she has gone to meet Jesus, too.

Eddie stopped in for a few threads. He has put up his DHD credentials, but we still love him.

Thanks for the memories, Doyle, and everyone...
4/3/22 10:55 pm

Post Since Doyle had some COGOP history ... Mat
Since Doyle had some COGOP history, I thought I would post something about his passing on a Facebook page called "Fond Memories of the COGOP." Of interest to those readers would be (if I remember right) when Doyle named A. J. Tomlinson "Church of God Man of the Century" or something like that.

I think it was published through his online newsletter/service, but I can't seem to find a link to the newsletter or the article. Does anyone have a link for either the article or the newsletter?

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
4/4/22 7:36 am

Post Eddie Robbins
I think what put Doyle on the national map was his writings about Robert White. It seems like the COG had a newsletter called “The Vision” and so did Doyle. Headquarters told him that he couldn’t call his “The Vision” so he changed it to “The New Vision.” Smile Acts-pert Poster
4/4/22 2:27 pm

Post Eddie, that was the first paper I remember getting from Doyle... Aaron Scott
It was during that timeframe.

I recall he got into headquarters by saying something like "I'm here to measure some carpet." And he apparently measured the distance between Bro. White's and Bro. Hughes' offices, indicating that this should be talked out between them.

Bro. White actually was coming through an area I used to live in, and was good enough to have lunch with me. That has been the only actual conversation I've had with a (former) GO.

Of course, I got to speak with Bro. Hughes also, but not at such length. He remains my favorite preacher.

I love both of these men, and I just hate that it all went down the way it did.

But, yeah, when Doyle printed those matters outside of the pre-approved lines of communication, I think it began to help ensure better results.
4/5/22 8:31 pm

Post sheepdogandy
I met Bro Doyle during the White inquisition.
He preached here at SPWC.
He invited me to post on Acts-Celerate.

As sincere a Christian as I have ever met.

www.spwc.church
4/15/22 2:23 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic