Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Are We Enemies Now?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Are We Enemies Now? Darrell Garrett
I have not posted here much over the last several years and honestly only read occasionally, but a phone call this morning just frustrated me to no end and I needed to vent and honestly would like some feedback. Allow me to bring everyone up to speed. The last time I had really posted on here was 3 years ago when my hand was pretty much forced to leave the COG if I were to do what I knew God was leading me to do in going to work alongside a friend in an independent church he had planted. Not long after planting the church, his wife was diagnosed with terminal cancer and he needed help and honestly was not sure he could continue to pastor. I spoke with my then AB about the possibility of bringing that church into the COG and was told it was something we might pursue. A week later, after I had announced my resignation from the church I had pastored for 15 years, I was given the ultimatum to either NOT go to work with my friend or to turn in my credentials. I turned in my credentials and walked away. I'm not here to rehash that whole thing. I have no regrets. The only reason I bring all that up is because of how it plays into this conversation this morning. Long story short, my friends wife beat the cancer and is doing well, and eventually, it was time for me to leave that church and I turned down several offers to pastor existing churches as I felt the prompting of the Holy Spirit to plant a new work. We began the leg work and started meeting with a handfull of people last summer. As we enter our 10th month it is time for us to take a bold step of faith and move away from meeting once a week in a motel and to rent a place that will be ours enabling a much wider field of ministry. We found a property on the busiest street in Galesburg right in the heart of the business area and we are trying to make this move. It's going to be a financial strain as we must make changes to the building as well as furnish it to make it suitable for worship. With what we have saved, we really need in the neighborhood of $12,000 to make this move and do it the right way. So, I started a Go Fund Me campaign... and this is where the conversation comes in.

One of my friends in the COG who I've known for nearly 30 years called me and told me he wanted to make a donation to help us and pledged another amount each month for the next six months to help us get this off the ground. I cannot express how much I appreciate that. What bothers me is that he felt he had to do it anonymously because he feared retribution from the Church of God if they knew he was helping me. I get it. I know full well how the politics and pressure work. But my goodness... how sad is it that a man must hide the fact that they are sowing seed into what he believes is good ground so that he is not treated harshly? It is pathetic that men and women must operate under the cloak of darkness to further the Kingdom work for fear of retribution from the powers that be! It breaks my heart that this kind of heavyhanded garbage exists within the Body of Christ! This man told me that he found out about my gofundme from another pastor who expressed to him how he'd like to help us but he too felt it would "endanger him" within the COG. How sad. God is not going to bless when that kind of nonsense is going on.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
3/28/22 9:38 am

Post Cojak
It is odd, very odd and little sick. The thing about WHO is the real Body of Christ.
I say that from years of experience of looking from the inside and looking back inside from the outside. Just a Sunday or so ago our pastor was preaching saying we should pray for all churches in our area that they would grow, the Baptist, Methodist, 4SQ, Presbyterian, etc. WE ARE ALL GOD's CHILDREN.

How different from 50-60 years ago when all those 'nominal' churches were going to hell.

I feel for you my brother and understand what you are saying. In my short pastorates I associated and visited the 'independent' and associated Pastors in my area. Just being around them I could tell they were interested in souls, I think that is and should be our goal.

I love the COG but I would be foolish to think in a world of billions that we are THE WAY.
Anyway prayers your direction... Love you bro.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
3/28/22 2:57 pm

Post I'm not shy. I donated to a worthy ministry like yours. roughridercog
It's my business and the Lords.
3/29/22 12:37 pm

Post Re: I'm not shy. I donated to a worthy ministry like yours. Darrell Garrett
roughridercog wrote:
It's my business and the Lords.

Thanks for your donation, my friend!
3/29/22 1:48 pm

Post Darrell Garrett
Cojak wrote:
It is odd, very odd and little sick. The thing about WHO is the real Body of Christ.
I say that from years of experience of looking from the inside and looking back inside from the outside. Just a Sunday or so ago our pastor was preaching saying we should pray for all churches in our area that they would grow, the Baptist, Methodist, 4SQ, Presbyterian, etc. WE ARE ALL GOD's CHILDREN.

How different from 50-60 years ago when all those 'nominal' churches were going to hell.

I feel for you my brother and understand what you are saying. In my short pastorates I associated and visited the 'independent' and associated Pastors in my area. Just being around them I could tell they were interested in souls, I think that is and should be our goal.

I love the COG but I would be foolish to think in a world of billions that we are THE WAY.
Anyway prayers your direction... Love you bro.

Thank you for your donation, my old friend! Blessings to you and yours!
3/29/22 1:49 pm

Post FLRon
38 Now John answered Him, saying, “Teacher, we saw someone who does not follow us casting out demons in Your name, and we forbade him because he does not follow us.”
39 ¶ But Jesus said, “Do not forbid him, for no one who works a miracle in My name can soon afterward speak evil of Me.
40 “For he who is not against us is on our side. Mark 9:38-40

Apparently Jesus didn’t have a problem with someone from another group doing the work of the kingdom. Leaves me to question if the church of God is interested in adding souls to the kingdom if they aren’t coming in under the cog umbrella.
3/30/22 7:43 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Now we know in the past in Darrell's case that some wrongs were done.

But currently, a pastor(s) only suspects that he would receive pushback if he were to openly donate to Darrell's church.

I say that pastor should do it openly. We'll never know unless he does. Hopefully, times have changed.
3/30/22 11:42 am

Post Cojak
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Now we know in the past in Darrell's case that some wrongs were done.

But currently, a pastor(s) only suspects that he would receive pushback if he were to openly donate to Darrell's church.

I say that pastor should do it openly. We'll never know unless he does. Hopefully, times have changed.
Thumb Up Thumb Up Thumb Up
3/30/22 11:53 am

Post Cojak
FLRon wrote:
38 Now John answered Him, saying, “Teacher, we saw someone who does not follow us casting out demons in Your name, and we forbade him because he does not follow us.”
39 ¶ But Jesus said, “Do not forbid him, for no one who works a miracle in My name can soon afterward speak evil of Me.
40 “For he who is not against us is on our side. Mark 9:38-40

Apparently Jesus didn’t have a problem with someone from another group doing the work of the kingdom. Leaves me to question if the church of God is interested in adding souls to the kingdom if they aren’t coming in under the cog umbrella.

I know that negative attitude exists, but I think the # is smaller and smaller every year, thank the Lord. Cool
3/30/22 11:55 am

Post Darrell Garrett
I hope this is ok with them to share here, and if it is not then I will ask their forgiveness, but I felt this needed to be shared. My former AB made a donation to our church today. That touched me deeply! More than the dollar amount, it is the fact in doing so there is a bold statement that has been made, and that is that there is no animosity or bitterness between us, and in making this donation he (whether intentional or not) has signaled that there is no reason for others to have any fear with partnering with us in ministry. I will say it openly to Bishop Whitter, your actions today touched my heart deeply and I thank you. Whether anyone else donates or not, your actions made a very clear statement to the Body of Christ and I cannot begin to express how much I appreciate it. Thank you from the bottom of my heart! Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
3/30/22 12:01 pm

Post FLRon
Darrell Garrett wrote:
I hope this is ok with them to share here, and if it is not then I will ask their forgiveness, but I felt this needed to be shared. My former AB made a donation to our church today. That touched me deeply! More than the dollar amount, it is the fact in doing so there is a bold statement that has been made, and that is that there is no animosity or bitterness between us, and in making this donation he (whether intentional or not) has signaled that there is no reason for others to have any fear with partnering with us in ministry. I will say it openly to Bishop Whitter, your actions today touched my heart deeply and I thank you. Whether anyone else donates or not, your actions made a very clear statement to the Body of Christ and I cannot begin to express how much I appreciate it. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

That is so great! I follow Rick’s blog and he is the real deal. I would love to see the Lord place him in a position where he could have a far greater impact than just Illinois.
3/30/22 1:45 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
That's wonderful to hear, Darrell (about the donation.) It means so much when there have been problems and the Lord makes things right with your brother. I am thrilled to hear that!

Yours was not the only story I heard that went in a similar vein. So sad people lose focus about what it's all about!

I do believe Dr. Hill has a heart for souls, as do many in the COG. Of course, there are always some who have a different agenda, unfortunately.

Praying God continues to open doors for you and provide exactly what's needed!
3/30/22 9:38 pm

Post georgiapath
Give me your adddress and I will send a donation.

Glad to hear the good news, I wish you all the best.
Acts-dicted
4/2/22 8:23 pm

Post roughridercog
georgiapath wrote:

If you are Facebook friends with Darrell, you can see his gofundme link
4/3/22 6:25 am

Post georgiapath
roughridercog wrote:
georgiapath wrote:

If you are Facebook friends with Darrell, you can see his gofundme link

I only mail "old fashion" checks" Laughing I don't do anything pertaining to money on line.
Acts-dicted
4/3/22 6:52 am

Post Darrell Garrett
georgiapath wrote:

That is very kind of you.
Please make a check to The Quest
996 N. Broad Street
Galesburg, IL 61401
4/3/22 8:32 pm

Post georgiapath
Darrell Garrett wrote:
georgiapath wrote:

That is very kind of you.
Please make a check to The Quest
996 N. Broad Street
Galesburg, IL 61401

done
Acts-dicted
4/4/22 11:17 am

Post Darrell.... Aaron Scott
It is just the case that we tend to give most of our attentions to those who are in the Church of God. You may very well deserve FAR BETTER than that...and yet it is still the case.

The same holds for fallen men of God and retired men of God. They are now on the outside looking in.

A man can give a lifetime to the service of COG ministry, but when he retirees, he may be loved and respected, but, yeah, the phone calls go WAY down.

Ideally, the Church of God would put an end to forcing COG ministers to give up their credentials if they remain in good standing. For instance, if I decided to go west, there are so relatively few Churches of God that if I would have to plant a church (something for which I am utterly unqualified) rather than use my ministry in the service of some other church outside the COG--even, apparently, if I would seek to expose them to COG understandings and perhaps bring them into the COG.

It's a bummer. But despite all of that, we do love you.
4/5/22 8:36 pm

Post Darrell Garrett
Aaron, I agree with everything you said here. I agree that most of our attention is within our denomination, and probably rightfully so. But I will say that over my years as a COG pastor I had my share of "unpleasant conversations" because my SO/AB was not happy about our supporting missions projects that were not COG and was told that it would "help me" if those missions dollars were included in my monthly reports as COG missions. I was never trying to be rebellious, but I sowed seed into areas where I felt led. I never cared about awards or political favor. In no way do I mean that as a slam or derogatory toward the COG. And brother, when you spoken about our seniors... you nailed it! They are forgotten! Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/7/22 1:15 pm

Post sheepdogandy
Centralized government! Ya gotta love it! Cool

www.spwc.church
4/14/22 1:09 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic