Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Preaching

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Preaching Cojak
In Church history, when did the practice of very demonstrative speaking start? I am smiling now thinking of a Grandson, our first. Back ground: our son married a woman from Texas who was active duty, USAF in Washington DC.

To me she was always a strange lady, but she was his choice. A year after the birth of our first Grandson, She moved out while son was at work. Taking every thing. we received two letters in the 4 years, one postmarked Florida and one postmarked Ohio. She had sent the letters to friends to forward to us.

We learned she ended up in Utah and it was 3-4 years until we heard from her. She agreed, and we sent plane tickets for the kid to fly out for the Summer.

In our church services the pastor was PREACHING. My grandson shook my sleeve and whispered, "Why is he yelling at us?"

Have you ever pictured our Lord presenting a message as we do today? Do you picture Paul or Peter doing it?

The reason this has come up is We had a visiting preacher at our RV park. He was from Uganda. He spoke precise, I UNDERSTOOD EVERY WORD, and his presentation was a lot like Bro. Charles Conn, we were truly blessed.

It may be because I am old and do not hear fast enough for many COG preachers today.

So I am asking, when did we start PREACHING as most consider our ministry of today? Just askin'. Confused
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/25/22 9:06 pm

Post Cojak
I should have did my research, I forget to search the net. It seems Whitefield in the 1700s was the beginning of demonstrative preaching.
Sorry... Embarassed Embarassed

Quote: As a boy in Gloucester, England, he read plays insatiably and often skipped school to practice for his schoolboy performances. Later in life, he repudiated the theater, but the methods he imbibed as a young man emerged in his preaching.

He put himself through Pembroke College, Oxford, by waiting on the wealthier students. While there, he fell in with a group of pious "methodists"—who called themselves "the Holy Club"—led by the Wesley brothers, John and Charles. Under their influence, he experienced a "new birth" and decided to become a missionary to the new Georgia colony on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean.
1/28/22 4:14 pm

Post Chances are your preaching style... roughridercog
Mirrors the preachers you grew up under and were disciples by.
1/28/22 6:30 pm

Post Re: Chances are your preaching style... Cojak
roughridercog wrote:
Mirrors the preachers you grew up under and were disciples by.

Yes I can understand that, makes sense! Cool
1/28/22 7:30 pm

Post Re: Chances are your preaching style... Cojak
--- sorry bout that double entry... Embarassed Embarassed
1/28/22 7:31 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic