Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Trailer for HBO Max documentary on the Gwen cult V
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Trailer for HBO Max documentary on the Gwen cult V Rafael D Martinez
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkrB6xoc-3s

Thank you, Westmore Church of God for believing in our ministry and enabling us to get equipped to help so many people.

Thank you South Cleveland Church of God for standing with us as the war got savage.

And thank you Crossroads and the Central Churches of God in Sauk Village IL and Portage IN for covering us as well as the saints did in TN.

Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth? Galatians 4:16

These are trying times. Everyone's trying something and getting caught. The Church Lady, 1987
Acts-dicted
9/29/21 10:19 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Raf, You were definitely at the forefront of calling these guys out a lot of years ago.

I even had the Weigh-Down diet book in my house until you enlightened me.

Too bad she died before facing the music.
9/29/21 1:26 pm

Post Rafael D Martinez
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Raf, You were definitely at the forefront of calling these guys out a lot of years ago.

I even had the Weigh-Down diet book in my house until you enlightened me.

Too bad she died before facing the music.

And who knows, NBF, I might be right about a lot of other questionable movements out there that I used to post about here, but then what do I know?

She moved from becoming fish food in the muddy shoals of a murky Tennessee lake in an instant to a far hotter and eternal one. She's indeed facing her chosen music right now and she's bowing her knee crying out that Jesus is indeed LORD.

And I prayed for her every day of my life that she would repent. She proudly refused correction and got worse. The cup of judgment overflowed.

It's a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Thanks for your vote of confidence bro.

These are trying times. Everyone's trying something and getting caught. The Church Lady, 1987
Acts-dicted
9/29/21 1:43 pm

Post Wait...she went to hell? Aaron Scott
I had not heard this anywhere but here.

I had heard she had died. I hadn't heard she went to hell.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/30/21 10:35 am

Post UncleJD
we watched it last night. Fascinating. We had never heard much about her at all until the plane crash and a thread here on Acts. Many of her teachings sound very familiar and are fairly common on their own in the charismatic circles today I think, but hers just go a little too far. This should be a warning to all of us to not let the "ideas" become the thing, even if they are great ideas to begin with. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
10/2/21 9:14 am

Post Re: Wait...she went to hell? caseyleejones
Aaron Scott wrote:
I had not heard this anywhere but here.

I had heard she had died. I hadn't heard she went to hell.

Yes, she was tragically killed in a plane accident. Documentaries, especially those created by adult channels that promote ungodliness tend to over sensationalize and skew the truth. I choose not to feed on it and I don't do adult channels. While there was some error in there, at least now she is in the hands of a loving Father.
Acts-perienced Poster
10/2/21 10:36 am

Post caseyleejones... Aaron Scott
When I read of how she headed a cult, I wanted to search it out. But so help me, as best I could tell, they believed that only Jesus saved, etc.

Maybe I'm missing something, but if one must have no error in their doctrine to make it in, then only Church of God folks are going to heaven (well, only MY kind of Church of God folks).

SMILE
10/3/21 5:25 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
From what little I know and from what Raf has shared, the people in this cult are very controlling - like about who you can marry and who you can't be married to. They have split up families and destroyed lives. Raf has helped people escape from their control and get their lives back. I think it is a little deeper than Jesus only.
10/3/21 7:41 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Yes unfortunately, this is a Premium channel - and I don't subscribe to that type.

But, I was able to get a temporary pass - and watch all 3 current episodes - there are scheduled to be 2 more next year.

Raf comes across as a scholar and reasonable person in this documentary. Everyone on Acts should be proud to know him.

This program was made BEFORE the death of Gwen Chamblin - and the 2 episodes next year will deal with the aftermath.

Raf was joined by others that concurred with his assessment that it was much more than a Jesus only church. This program chronicles just a few of the lives (and families) destroyed by this church. It was terrible. And the standard TV preacher excesses were easy to see as well - but we've given our TV preacher celebs a pass on that for so long - that it hardly moves the meter - even though it should be horrifying for anyone that names the name of Christ.

Rafael should be commended for his work dealing with folks escaping their stranglehold on families at that church.

I binged all three at once.
10/4/21 6:42 am

Post Re: caseyleejones... Nature Boy Florida
Aaron Scott wrote:
When I read of how she headed a cult, I wanted to search it out. But so help me, as best I could tell, they believed that only Jesus saved, etc.

Maybe I'm missing something, but if one must have no error in their doctrine to make it in, then only Church of God folks are going to heaven (well, only MY kind of Church of God folks).

SMILE

Aaron you are so far off the mark here - and I would scold you - but this is customary for you, right? Give Raf a break - just this once.
10/4/21 6:43 am

Post UncleJD
There was a point made that she denied that Christ is equal with the Father. That is step one of a cult. Step two is placing the authority given to the family unit in accordance to their understanding of scripture, into the hands of the "leader", that is where they really go off the rails into the realm of a cult. Its not that their specific teachings are so problematic, its that they are carried to an extreme. Now, with that in mind, did they go so far as to go to Hell for their sins, I'm not so sure they really understood what they were actually doing, I think there would have come a point where they crossed the line in their own consciousness like Jim Jones did, but I'm not sure they had reached that yet. Maybe God, in His mercy, allowed them to die before they got there. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
10/4/21 11:20 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
JD - she had also reached the point of "God" wanting her to enter a new season - out with the old husband (an actual ordained minister) - in with the new (a TV show Tarzan that wanted a country music career)
10/4/21 12:27 pm

Post UncleJD
JD - she had also reached the point of "God" wanting her to enter a new season - out with the old husband (an actual ordained minister) - in with the new (a TV show Tarzan that wanted a country music career)

Yeah, I caught that, its disgusting, maybe, though, just maybe, there were other reasons. I don't know. I'm just saying there's "hope" that she didn't go to Hell. I always hope that. Maybe she hadn't gone too far down the Jonestown path yet, though she was clearly on it.

Anyways, I look forward to the follow-up episodes. I'm curious how things are now. Are the children following the same path or not.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
10/4/21 2:36 pm

Post caseyleejones

We have individuals who are divorced and remarried here. Is this a disqualifying issue?
Acts-perienced Poster
10/6/21 8:39 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
caseyleejones wrote:

We have individuals who are divorced and remarried here. Is this a disqualifying issue?

It's usually considered heresy when a minister teaches others you can divorce for pretty much any reason and remarry. At least it was when Paula White did...

Divorce is not the unpardonable sin, but neither should it be entered into lightly.
10/6/21 10:26 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
caseyleejones wrote:

No, it's not disqualifying.

If you are the leader: Hypocritically telling others not to divorce - even if they have biblical cause - but then divorcing your own husband without biblical cause ---- that is disqualifying. (It's all in the program - you should watch it)
10/7/21 7:19 am

Post Carolyn Smith
Good to see you posting, NBF!
10/7/21 9:21 am

Post Admittedly, I watched the trailer to this... caseyleejones
I noticed that Raphael has a very pleasant speaking voice and it does not line up with his picture here. Acts-perienced Poster
10/30/21 11:53 am

Post Link
For those of us who do not have HBO Max, this is a video on it. That's Rafael, isn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDXr9iAeX5s
Acts-perienced Poster
10/31/21 2:33 pm

Post . Rafael D Martinez

Last edited by Rafael D Martinez on 11/17/21 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acts-dicted
11/17/21 1:16 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic