Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Sad To Report, New Movie About Tammy Faye In Production

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Sad To Report, New Movie About Tammy Faye In Production News & Views
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10022721/Film-examines-life-televangelists-wife-revelled-excess-husband-brought-down.html
9/24/21 5:28 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Just glancing through the article, it states a lot of things as fact that are not. Much of it is hearsay and innuendo. Like saying Jim was a closet bisexual. One of the accusations made against him was that "he gave me a homosexual look." He never faced the allegations made in the AG - was never called into a meeting to my knowledge - and found out these things through the mail.

From what I've heard the new Eyes of Tammy Faye movie is the most authentic thing that's been produced to date. While there was a lot of excess and craziness that happened, a lot of good happened to that the world will never know about.

We were there 4 1/2 years. We look back on them with much fondness and great memories. Of course, we were not in their circle socially, but there were a lot of great people that worked there that loved Jesus and did a lot of good in His name.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/25/21 7:33 pm

Post Cojak
I hate to read this. I worked for PTL for awhile as a sub-contractor. We did things that never made the news of course. One was PTL built and paid for an area at a SC Baptist church, for the needy.
YES, lots of good was done at PTL, too bad the devil was able to give Christianity a black eye in that area.
The potential was immeasurable.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
9/28/21 9:05 am

Post FLRon
I won’t watch the movie but I can help but think it will not be kind to Christians in general. Such is the world we live in.
9/28/21 4:02 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Jim & Tammy's son (now known as Jay Bakker) has a um...different kind of ministry, and I haven't been too impressed with what I've seen till now. He did a couple of interviews and I've read a couple of articles, and from what he's saying, this movie is more down to earth and shows the more human side of his parents. They were mortals with feet of clay like all of us, and they had their share of faults, but I believe they also loved the Lord. Most of us will never know what we would do if we had millions of ministry dollars to spend...or the demonic attacks and the temptations that come with it.

I think they got off track at some point, but Tammy continued to show love to the unlovable long after she left PTL. The way Jim was treated especially during his trial was awful. I think his book "I Was Wrong" should be required reading for all ministers. (And he says repeatedly throughout the book, "I was wrong." You have a lot of time to think in prison.

As Cojak said, so many things happened that the world will never know. We heard a story about something that happened when they were clearing a lot near the property to build something, and they discovered an old shack on it. They were getting ready to raze it when they realized someone was living in it, an elderly couple who didn't have anywhere else to go (and didn't own the house/property.) The ministry bought this couple a mobile home and set it up so they wouldn't be homeless, and it didn't cost them a cent.

Hollywood doesn't treat Christians well, but you have to admit we give them a lot of ammunition. And there are many who think all Christians are scam artists or phonies and can't fathom treating people like real Christians are supposed to.
9/28/21 8:59 pm

Post georgiapath
They just want to make money, doesn"t matter if it"s true or not. Acts-dicted
9/29/21 4:15 am

Post UncleJD
georgiapath wrote:
They just want to make money, doesn"t matter if it"s true or not.

PTL, TBN, Daystar?
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
9/30/21 8:24 am

Post FLRon
The church does for a fact give the secular media plenty to talk/write about.
I was never a fan of PTL, but the fiasco that followed after Jim and Tammy left was almost unbelievable.
9/30/21 7:14 pm

Post About Tammy Faye... Aaron Scott
There was clearly some issues beneath the surface (as witnessed by the massively overdone makeup), but over and over I have heard or witnessed (on TV) her showing great love for others.

Probably better than many people who don't have makeup issues.
9/30/21 7:16 pm

Post Re: About Tammy Faye... Carolyn Smith
Aaron Scott wrote:
There was clearly some issues beneath the surface (as witnessed by the massively overdone makeup), but over and over I have heard or witnessed (on TV) her showing great love for others.

My husband was a security guard at their home back in the day. Probably one of the few who had seen Tammy Faye without her makeup. It's something my hubby & I discussed. We felt like it was a self esteem thing. When she was having a bad day, it seemed the makeup was thicker. When she was having a good day, it was much lighter.
9/30/21 9:49 pm

Post Again, why feed on such garbage? It won't be honest. caseyleejones
Not sure who is putting it together but some things just need to be put to rest in the christian community. Again, she too is in the hands of a loving Father. Acts-perienced Poster
10/2/21 11:20 am

Post Re: About Tammy Faye... skinnybishop
Carolyn Smith wrote:
Aaron Scott wrote:

My husband was a security guard at their home back in the day. Probably one of the few who had seen Tammy Faye without her makeup. It's something my hubby & I discussed. We felt like it was a self esteem thing. When she was having a bad day, it seemed the makeup was thicker. When she was having a good day, it was much lighter.

In the late 70s, my mom was helping out in our church's prison ministry. Tammy Faye came to do a service at a women's facility. According to mom, Tammy Faye could not have been nicer to those ladies. Mom said she stayed after the service, talking with the inmates and offering encouragement to them. She even let them try on some of her jewelry....saying with a smile before she let them, "Now, I'm going to want that back, you know!"

She didn't just swoop in and leave. You have to appreciate and respect the sincerity, of spending time with inmates, at a small town in central Georgia.
10/5/21 1:46 pm

Post Link
I never met Tammy Faye. I saw Jim Bakker at a conference right after he got out of prison, a kind of surprise guest. He said a few words. I don't think he preached, but I don't remember. He might have said enough of a few words that it felt like he was preaching. It was held at what used to be PTL. He was surprised at how kind people were to him. Some people would be angry if they saw him and leave a meeting if he attended.

A went to an A/G that had been founded by Edgar Bethany, Tammy Faye's father. But he had passed before I went there and I never met her. I think some people at the church were either related to her or knew her kin. Someone asked one of them why she wore her hair and makeup like that, and her cousin, or whoever it was said, "I don't know." The church did not have a 'PTL feel' to it and the building did not look like the set of the show.
Acts-perienced Poster
10/6/21 7:00 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Link wrote:
I never met Tammy Faye. I saw Jim Bakker at a conference right after he got out of prison, a kind of surprise guest. He said a few words. I don't think he preached, but I don't remember. He might have said enough of a few words that it felt like he was preaching. It was held at what used to be PTL. He was surprised at how kind people were to him. Some people would be angry if they saw him and leave a meeting if he attended.

A went to an A/G that had been founded by Edgar Bethany, Tammy Faye's father. But he had passed before I went there and I never met her. I think some people at the church were either related to her or knew her kin. Someone asked one of them why she wore her hair and makeup like that, and her cousin, or whoever it was said, "I don't know." The church did not have a 'PTL feel' to it and the building did not look like the set of the show.

I knew Tammy's mom remarried but I'd never heard of Edgar Bethany, so I looked it up. (Wikipedia doesn't list her stepdad, but I believe the last name was Grover.) Turns out Bethany was Jan Crouch's father, not Tammy Faye's.
10/6/21 10:21 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic