Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Dare I say this? I dislike spiritual semaphore.

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Dare I say this? I dislike spiritual semaphore. roughridercog
I'm sorry if this offends, but I really dislike the trend of getting up and waggling flags during service. To me, it seems just like another case of "Look at me, mama. I'm worshipping."
Just felt like saying it. Sorry if it offends.

But it might come in handy signaling the Lord at sea.
9/14/21 7:19 am

Post SCFIRE
I don't know why, but that has never crossed my mind.
9/14/21 8:37 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
I have heard Baptists say that we Pentecostals are just drawing attention to ourselves when we raise our hands in worship as well.

I have always seen flag-waving as just another expression of praise. Sure, some may do it like a child wanting to be seen, but then again some may be worshipping in spirit and in truth when they do it.

May we shout for joy over your victory and lift up our banners in the name of our God. May the LORD grant all your requests. Psalm 20:5 NIV
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/14/21 9:43 am

Post roughridercog
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
I have heard Baptists say that we Pentecostals are just drawing attention to ourselves when we raise our hands in worship as well.

I have always seen flag-waving as just another expression of praise. Sure, some may do it like a child wanting to be seen, but then again some may be worshipping in spirit and in truth when they do it.

May we shout for joy over your victory and lift up our banners in the name of our God. May the LORD grant all your requests. Psalm 20:5 NIV

Tough question. Why do they have to run down front to do it? Just thinking out loud.
9/14/21 10:23 am

Post SCFIRE
I guess David was out of order for dancing like he did while carrying the Ark to Mt Zion. David's wife was told by David that if she thinks this dancing was bad, she was gonna hate what he was going to do. Study the 7 types of praise in the OT and especially Halal, and Tehillah, Shabach etc. All these praises pleased God. In fact He likes to dwell in Tehillah. A minister I know was told by someone that they didn't like the worship they were doing, and he politely told them that he was not worshipping them but worshipping God. I'll let God determine which and what type of Praise gets His attention. Pentecostals have dropped the ball in many churches by dampening any type of non traditional praise. It has also shown up on the salvation reports as well.
9/14/21 10:57 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
roughridercog wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

Tough question. Why do they have to run down front to do it? Just thinking out loud.

Could be wanting attention. Could also be because in most churches, that’s the most open area. Also, they could feel they are being led by the Spirit to lead or inspire others to worship. Why do songleaders and preachers have to be up front? Should we assume they just want attention because they’re up front?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/14/21 2:24 pm

Post Cojak
I have only visited one church that flag waving was very much used. At this particular church it was very distracting as the one flag was huge and the waving was back and forth in front of the platform, even as prayer requests were given.
We did not feel comfortable because of the practiced 'fancy' moves, sorta like our military drill teams used.

No big deal I guess, but not my choice of worship practices. Embarassed
PS: I wasn't a Signalman, so I could not read it. As the saying goes, "It was Greek to me!" Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
9/14/21 9:38 pm

Post UncleJD
hmm, I think the Bible is replete with examples of "fanfare" in worship. Given that those examples are mainly OT (though not always, consider Palm Sunday). I think the rarity of example in the NT was mostly from the repression of the Church in general during that time. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
9/15/21 8:07 am

Post roughridercog
Cojak wrote:
I have only visited one church that flag waving was very much used. At this particular church it was very distracting as the one flag was huge and the waving was back and forth in front of the platform, even as prayer requests were given.
We did not feel comfortable because of the practiced 'fancy' moves, sorta like our military drill teams used.

No big deal I guess, but not my choice of worship practices. Embarassed
PS: I wasn't a Signalman, so I could not read it. As the saying goes, "It was Greek to me!" Smile

Maybe we are just old and not "with it." Ha ha
9/15/21 8:58 am

Post Here's the deal... Aaron Scott
Sometimes, a person's "worship" IS distracting. Have you ever seen young people do a human video with hand movements? I almost always am moved by this. However, I began to notice that some of them would make moves that detracted from the song being played. It became performance instead of worship.

That can happen in virtually all forms of worship (except sincere worship). If someone gets up with flags, I'm good with with that. UNLESS...it become more about "look how awesome we are."

You can't always read that, of course. But when you do, it pops the balloon to some degree.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/15/21 9:39 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic