Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

A Big Ole Time "THANK YOU" to Doyle for Actscelerate

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post A Big Ole Time "THANK YOU" to Doyle for Actscelerate Old Time Country Preacher
Yep, one of the fellers asked "What has happened to Actscelerate?"

They ain't but one true blue reason fer it all, hey, the ole timer left, Memory3 went up, Roughrider went right, an Actscelerate went down. You fellers remember them days when after Sunday night church we'd all login to Acts an have us a hootin an hollerin time. I mean ever body from Beaulah to Mem3 to Penney4 to Casey to COGBishop to Rough to at ole Serpent Seed feller to the Rabbi to the PH Bullet to KariJay to Sheepdog to Yo Dude to NBF an a heap a others lit this place up like a big ole bonfar. It was a heap a fun fellers. They wuz times the ole timer laughed till he cried. Well, I guess em days has done come an gone, an bout all a feller can do is reminisce bout the good ole days.

But we all oughtta thank Doyle fer this here forum, cause we woulda missed all at fun if they had been no Actscelerate
Acts-pert Poster
7/7/21 1:40 pm

Post Preacher777
Doyle, this message board has helped me and others gain insights on different subjects. Thanks for the time you put into it. Friendly Face
7/7/21 9:58 pm

Post Actscelerate was the "grindstone" ... Mat
Actscelerate was the "grindstone" where I sharpened my online teeth. This is where I transformed from sometimes getting upset by what others wrote to learning how to respond in kind.

This forum has never been a place for the faint-hearted, but it's been good medicine for having a heart ready for the give-and-take of ideas and opinions.

Sometimes, I must admit, like many others on the forum I would take a position just to inflame an issue or poster. However, it was great to know that no one's view, including mine, was beyond challenge.

Thanks Doyle for the school of Actscelerate!

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
7/8/21 7:50 am

Post Doyle was the catalyst that opened up the Church of God.... Aaron Scott
Yes, you could always talk to a friend or two about whatever you wanted to. But there was no large, widely-read platform...until this one. It allowed people (typically behind pen names) to boldly discuss whatever they wanted to discuss--doctrine, leadership, particular churches, politics, etc.

I have compared Actscelerate to Camp Meeting, for it has had inspirational content, doctrinal discussions, prayer requests, funny stories, requests for wisdom and insight, and, frankly, church gossip. You know, just like what most of us would experience at Camp Meeting--in the altars, after-service fellowship, over dinner, in the pulpit, etc.

Except Doyle brought this "camp meeting" to EVERYONE who wanted to read it. Not just to the folks around the table or the such.

It got the attention from top leadership to just plain ol' folks. We would bang around doctrinal issues such that, even if it didn't change our minds, it likely gave us some degree of appreciation for how others saw the matter...or even caused us to slightly modify our own take.

I believe that it eventually gave greater boldness to other ministers to speak their minds on sites that later came available (e.g., FB). No, perhaps they don't speak as freely as they would under a pen name, but it's FAR MORE than they used to say! At one time, whether warranted or not, it was believed that speaking our too boldly could get you in trouble with the brass...could take away advancement opportunities...could get you called into the office, so to speak...or even perhaps put out of your church. Again, I don't know that that happened to anyone, but it was BELIEVED by many.

Doyle's efforts started a change, I believe. The COG seems to have made some adjustments (perhaps taking the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" approach), and people became bolder about speaking their minds.

When FB--the premier social media site--became ascendant, it eventually drew a lot of Actscelerate's traffic there--at least it seems so, since many of the ones who were regulars here have become regulars there, but seldom show up here.

BUT THERE STILL NEEDS TO BE A PLACE WHERE YOU CAN FULLY SPEAK YOUR MIND WITHOUT FEARING EMBARRASSMENT OR RETALIATION.

Consider if there were a minister who wanted advice about his/her marriage. Currently, FB would make it clear just who you were, perhaps bringing embarrassment. Further, the FB page serves only COG ministers, for the most part. So someone in laity is out of luck.

I'm sure there are plenty of other types of inquiries that need anonymity (e.g., problem church members--if you give your name, someone may be able to know who you are talking about, etc.).

In any case, I am PROUD to have been a part of the Actscelerate family. It brought about significant change, I believe--if nothing else, it gave us a place to speak our minds.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
7/8/21 12:12 pm

Post Cojak
I was so ignorant when I joined ACTS I thought you were required to have a pen name, so I did.
I have a background in the earliest computers as a repairman and programmer, but Must admit todays electronics has had me buffaloed. I do appreciate the opportunity to comment and read the input here and had a chance to learn a lot. I even learned once how to post pictures but forgot that, but at my age 'tis good to know your own name.
I do appreciate Doyle and all he has done here.... Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
7/9/21 5:29 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic