Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Gwen Shamblin dead. Plane wreck. (L)

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Gwen Shamblin dead. Plane wreck. (L) caseyleejones
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/15111323/gwen-shamblin-lara-plane-crash-7-presumed-dead/ Acts-perienced Poster
5/30/21 1:19 am

Post Is this ... Mat
Is this the group that was considered a cult? I thought our poster from Chicago (who's screen name escapes me right now) did a great deal of writing about this church/leader.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
6/1/21 7:42 am

Post Re: Is this ... Carolyn Smith
Mat wrote:
Is this the group that was considered a cult? I thought our poster from Chicago (who's screen name escapes me right now) did a great deal of writing about this church/leader.

Mat

Yes, Rafael did a lot of work helping people who had been a part of this cult and even testified in court, trying to help families that had been hurt and separated due to being involved with them. He posted that one family is back home with their family since all this happened. The cult was very controlling.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/1/21 6:02 pm

Post Cults - food control and freaky hair ... Mat
Just reading about this cult, and trying remember what Rafael posted in the past, some things stand out. First, food deprivation is a standard of mind control, re-education and cults, as is projecting body particular body image as "more spiritual" is used by many, even some Pentecostals.

Looking at the pictures of the woman who lead it, there's something about freaky hair on cult leaders that in a normal setting would be considered just dumb, but for some reason it is accepted by the devotees. You can say much about preachers and their hair, but even some bad toupee wearing preachers have been had large following.

Then there's lifestyle and hubris, as in my people want me to live in a mansion, have a private jet and vacation in Palm Beach. Oh, by they the pilots are not licensed for jets, but "we can fly anyway."

Than there's their marriage and sex life, but we best not be judgment of "God's anointed" lest we be excommunicated.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
6/2/21 8:10 am

Post caseyleejones
Cult is an interesting and relative term used as much as heresy. As far as a cult, not sure about that. I hear all the time pentecostals are cults and in fact, some consider our church a cult. They did have some odd teachings.

They remind me along the lines of catholics. I know some good practicing born again catholics. It seems they(the remnant group) do believe in the message of salvation. I do believe they are in the hands of a loving Father.
Acts-perienced Poster
6/2/21 8:47 am

Post Cojak
Never tried to learn much about the group because they did not affect my area that I knew of. I admired Rafael and his zeal.

As to Cults, as a Preacher's kid in the 40-50 era, I remember the COG and COGOP being called Cults. I think at the time any one who shouted and spoke in 'tongues' (Holy /Rollers) were a CULT.

We have made many changes, SOME for the better. Embarassed I think! Smile

Last edited by Cojak on 6/2/21 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/2/21 11:08 am

Post Perhaps "Cult of Personality" ... Mat
Perhaps "Cult of Personality" would be a better term, but them I know folks who seem to "worship at the feet" of a particular preacher, or follow Southern Gospel as if it were the only music which is God inspirited.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
6/2/21 1:14 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Shamblin’s cult denies the deity of Christ. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/2/21 1:30 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Shamblin’s cult denies the deity of Christ.

From what I understand they are very controlling about people's personal lives...who they can be with, what couples can do in marriage, whether you should be married to your spouse, physical abuse...the list goes on...

This is a link to Raf's info on them...

https://www.spiritwatch.org/gwencult.htm
6/2/21 5:55 pm

Post The TV preacher with the toupee ... Mat
Carolyn Smith wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

From what I understand they are very controlling about people's personal lives...who they can be with, what couples can do in marriage, whether you should be married to your spouse, physical abuse...the list goes on...

The TV preacher with the toupee who recently died "slid" into such practices over the years, according to some articles I read. Some of the behavior reported was disturbing.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
6/3/21 7:15 am

Post Re: The TV preacher with the toupee ... Cojak
Mat wrote:

The TV preacher with the toupee who recently died "slid" into such practices over the years, according to some articles I read. Some of the behavior reported was disturbing.

Mat

I am sure you are talking about Ernest Angely. Watch it dude, he was a family friend for years. LOL My dad organized the South Gastonia Church of God in the early 1930s. Ernest was a part of that. Not sure if he was converted there but was a young minister then. I am not sure if he was ever credentialed in the COG.
But yes Ernest did go off on the deep end for many years.
I never met him but did get to know his brother when he came to visit my mom in her waning years. He was a solid Christian.
Mama watched Ernest on TV until she died, always talking about how nice a man he was in his youth.
Yeah I know, off subject, but it is amazing how some can fall for cultish acts and cults by just NOT PAYING ATTENTION to the WORD,
Love ya Mat. Smile
6/3/21 10:21 am

Post Re: The TV preacher with the toupee ... Mat
Cojak wrote:
Mat wrote:

Mat

I am sure you are talking about Ernest Angely. Watch it dude, he was a family friend for years. LOL My dad organized the South Gastonia Church of God in the early 1930s. Ernest was a part of that. Not sure if he was converted there but was a young minister then. I am not sure if he was ever credentialed in the COG.
I never met him but did get to know his brother when he came to visit my mom in her waning years. He was a solid Christian.
Mama watched Ernest on TV until she died, always talking about how nice a man he was in his youth.
Yeah I know, off subject, but it is amazing how some can fall for cultish acts and cults by just NOT PAYING ATTENTION to the WORD,
Love ya Mat. Smile

At least one of the articles noted that he never was the same after his wife's death. We know a God fearing wife can keep the fear of God in a husband.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
6/3/21 10:38 am

Post Re: The TV preacher with the toupee ... Carolyn Smith
Mat wrote:
Cojak wrote:
Mat wrote:

Mat

Love ya Mat. Smile

At least one of the articles noted that he never was the same after his wife's death. We know a God fearing wife can keep the fear of God in a husband.

Mat

Interesting. My dad did not give his heart to the Lord until his latter years. He was a smoker and didn't feel like he could serve the Lord until he stopped smoking. But Daddy was a very discerning man and could tell you if someone was for real. Oddly enough, he enjoyed Ernest Angley's preaching...said he just preached Jesus. I never watched him much, but he did write an awesome novel simply titled, "Rapture." It will make you feel like He's coming tonight!

I've never heard anything cultish about his ministry but I haven't thought of him or heard of him in years.
6/3/21 4:35 pm

Post Cojak
Any church or Personality who demands complete control of lives and families, is or seems to become a cult. There is a human failure in some that their life seems to NEED to be controlled, 'tis a shame. Crying or Very sad
6/3/21 7:03 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Carolyn Smith wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

Yes, Shamblin also was heavily cult-like in how she sought to manipulate and control the lives of her followers. Truly sad and tragic. Then again I don’t suppose I’ll ever understand how adults allow themselves to be abused. Kids often can’t prevent it from happening, but adults allowing someone to abuse them has never made a bit of sense to me. I guess I’m just naturally repulsed by manipulative control freaks.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/4/21 1:03 am

Post Those unwilling to accept .... Mat
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Carolyn Smith wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

Yes, Shamblin also was heavily cult-like in how she sought to manipulate and control the lives of her followers. Truly sad and tragic. Then again I don’t suppose I’ll ever understand how adults allow themselves to be abused. Kids often can’t prevent it from happening, but adults allowing someone to abuse them has never made a bit of sense to me. I guess I’m just naturally repulsed by manipulative control freaks.

Often those unwilling to accept other authority over them willing surrender all their freewill to a controlling personality. Add in the power of "body-image" and "religion" and you have a dangerous brew.

I will say, even amongst us Pentecostal types fat shaming is acceptable, and thinness/appearance is equated with being "more spiritual" and is often a subconscious reaction. Sometimes I want to brake in half those skinny effeminate preachers who feel free to poke my stomach and say you put on some weight (he touched me first after all). Shocked Laughing Very Happy

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
6/4/21 7:56 am

Post Re: Those unwilling to accept .... Cojak
Mat wrote:

Sometimes I want to brake in half those skinny effeminate preachers who feel free to poke my stomach and say you put on some weight (he touched me first after all). Shocked Laughing Very Happy

Mat

NASTY!!!! Wink
LOVE YA BRO~!
6/4/21 9:14 am

Post Quiet Wyatt... Aaron Scott
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

Can you explain? While I knew very little of them, I could not find anything at all that would cause me to think their doctrine denied the deity of Christ.
6/4/21 10:16 am

Post Re: Quiet Wyatt... caseyleejones
Aaron Scott wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

Can you explain? While I knew very little of them, I could not find anything at all that would cause me to think their doctrine denied the deity of Christ.

Yeah, same here. I looked and could not find any.
Acts-perienced Poster
6/4/21 9:02 pm

Post FLRon
Back around 1990 or so the Northern Ohio COG had meetings at Earnest Angley's church. I remember one in particular where lunch was served by the ladies of their church, and it creeped me out that they wouldn't speak. I thought then that it all seemed a bit "cultish".
6/5/21 3:27 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic