Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

This is NOT a Drill!

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post This is NOT a Drill! Cojak
Most everyone here knows I left the ministry and re-enlisted in the Military and retired. With time in the USMC, USAF & USN I heard Ships announcements, "This is a Drill, Fire in the #1 Engine room, All hands man their damage control, stations." etc. as common place. Once in the North Atlantic we were taking on Explosives, including nukes.

The ship heard the announcement, "THIS IS NOT A DRILL, COLLISION, COLLISION Including BROKEN ARROW, PORT SIDE, man your GQ stations." With two ships underway in rough seas one of the skippers had failed to make a correction and we were steel to steel.

Our Carrier's elevators wiped out the bridge of the supply ship. We were dangerously near the nuclear weapons. I saw the huge elevators within 5 feet of the nukes. The ships finally pulled apart, leaving the supply ship to limp into port in England.

WE Christians have heard stories and know of Brothers and sisters who have come close to losing a mate, but all turned out well.

We have had a very sad situation here on Acts lately. Bro. Bob lost his wife. Bob has been thru a lot over the past few years. "many times he thought death would come I am sure, but it was just a DRILL." This last time the Lord said "This is not a Drill I am taking her."

This hurts us all here, we feel for Bro Bob. I told him I could not imagine the pain. Sherry and I have been married over 62 years. We are not ignorant of life. At best we have 10 years, most likely 5 years going by averages. Until we will know, "This is not a drill, one of us will be called home."
At 40, 50 even 70 I never thought of that. BUT now in our 80s we both know one of us will feel the pain of Bro. Bob and many of our friends. Men like Bob have told me, you think you are ready for it, BUT you are not."

Let's hold our brother up in prayer, knowing that one day it will be us! I could never envision enjoying men and women as I do you guys over a 'social media'. We have shared a lot and I have learned so much from you. I cannot imagine this as real, I can remember the only social media being a radio with which you could not interact. Life is good and Life is STRANGE to an old man, it is hard to keep up!
Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
5/11/19 8:49 pm

Post georgiapath
Good post, as always. Acts-dicted
5/22/19 11:25 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Agree Cojak.

Nicely said.
5/22/19 1:28 pm

Post Bro Bob
I have a good friend who is an atheist. He did not attend his wife's funeral. He won't talk about it.

I am less than a month into this, and I saw it coming, was as prepared as I could be. She was ready. The death itself could not have been more peaceful.

But my mind won't stop trying to figure out what more we could have done. Early this morning I dreamed of her, and she was alive again, and here. Someone at UAB had found the problem and she was fine and home again. "But did they exhume your body from its grave?" And with that she did not respond and faded as I awoke.

Cojak, I said all that to say this: As well as He can, He has prepared us all for what is coming to us all. With me, and Gina, He could not have been more graceful and merciful and still take her.

I don't know how a committed atheist can possibly deal with this. I am so blessed by so many old friends who knew her, and can't get me off their mind. It is because they knew I had a jewel. A Proverbs 31 gem. They hurt for me. And they fear finding themselves in this place one day.

All I can say is what my daughter told me yesterday, "Dad, even if you live another 30 years, this is not the end. You will see her again, and hold her so tight."

edit to add: I look around at the people in my life, so many of which have gone through so much worse and I am ashamed that my grief is so deep and seems to be as the 2nd stanza in Tom Sterben's song (Wait on the Lord) says,

What I thought wouldn't last, has become my forever
I see no other chance, I've accepted the never

The Lord has blessed and kept me all my life. My only peace at this time comes from knowing that, and having faith that He always will.
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
5/23/19 8:40 am

Post Cojak
Bro Bob wrote:
I have a good friend who is an atheist. He did not attend his wife's funeral. He won't talk about it.

I am less than a month into this, and I saw it coming, was as prepared as I could be. She was ready. The death itself could not have been more peaceful.

But my mind won't stop trying to figure out what more we could have done. Early this morning I dreamed of her, and she was alive again, and here. Someone at UAB had found the problem and she was fine and home again. "But did they exhume your body from its grave?" And with that she did not respond and faded as I awoke.

Cojak, I said all that to say this: As well as He can, He has prepared us all for what is coming to us all. With me, and Gina, He could not have been more graceful and merciful and still take her.

I don't know how a committed atheist can possibly deal with this. I am so blessed by so many old friends who knew her, and can't get me off their mind. It is because they knew I had a jewel. A Proverbs 31 gem. They hurt for me. And they fear finding themselves in this place one day.

All I can say is what my daughter told me yesterday, "Dad, even if you live another 30 years, this is not the end. You will see her again, and hold her so tight."

edit to add: I look around at the people in my life, so many of which have gone through so much worse and I am ashamed that my grief is so deep and seems to be as the 2nd stanza in Tom Sterben's song (Wait on the Lord) says,

What I thought wouldn't last, has become my forever
I see no other chance, I've accepted the never

The Lord has blessed and kept me all my life. My only peace at this time comes from knowing that, and having faith that He always will.

WOW my brother, what a comment. I love the song quote, but BUT, as I read this I could just hear your daughter tell you: ".... You will see her again, and hold her so tight."

Cool and very sweet!
5/23/19 9:30 am

Post Memories. And memories. And memories. Bro Bob
Facebook reminded me yesterday of something I shared there that Cojak posted here 2 years ago.

It was the initial post by him in this thread.

His memory of an event at sea. What a story. And our mind fools us into thinking we "get what he is saying". But we don't. When he sees this post, once again his mind will go back to that day, and he can tell it again, but only he can relive it.

I was amazed the first time I read "A Grief Observed" by CS Lewis at the things he said that I could have said. At the things he had done that I have done such as revisiting all the places I lived both before meeting Gina and after. And the questions he had asked God only to hear nothing but silence.

Scripture itself says the two shall become one flesh. Lewis takes the next step saying that removing one then is similar to amputation. That you will usually survive it, but even with a prosthetic you will never be a biped again. Gina lost her left leg in her accident and the phantom leg pain was not only real, but her most severe form of pain in her entire life.

But then Lewis makes a similar comparison which is here:

Quote:
One flesh. Or, if you prefer, one ship. The starboard engine has gone. I, the port engine, must chug along somehow till we make harbour. Or rather, till the journey ends. How can I assume a harbour? A lee shore, more likely, a black night, a deafening gale, breakers ahead --- and any lights shown from the land probably being waved by wreckers. Such was H.'s landfall. Such was my mother's. I say their landfalls; not their arrivals.

Parts of that it will take a sailor, such as Cojak and myself to understand without explanation. Parts of it, you will never understand until it is your ship.

BB
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
5/24/21 9:46 am

Post UncleJD
Thanks for sharing BB. We all dread that day, but its a comfort knowing others go through and survive and have wisdom to share with us. I often think about Lewis's reflections on the matter. They captured it well in the movie "Shadowlands" when Anthony Hopkins as Lewis said "Its part of the deal, the joy you had then is part of the pain now" (and vise versa). It wouldn't hurt so much if it wasn't so good. To hurt deeply is to have loved completely.

God bless you
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
5/24/21 2:04 pm

Post Cojak...I was thinking... Aaron Scott
Even if we had drills for such losses, I don't think we would ever be fully ready for when it is not a drill. It's just too big of a loss.

When my Uncle Howard Scott died in 2015, I so hated losing him, but at the same time, he had lived such a rich, loving, joyful, happy, full, and long life that one could hardly be sad, since he was in an even better place.

He loved what he did...and he pretty much did whatever he wanted to do...all while being a great Sunday School teacher. He was a farmer, bus driver, electrician, and educator (taught wiring at Cleveland State) that his life was just filled to the brim.

There is one thing I know: I will NEVER spend enough time with those that I love with all my soul. If I had a thousand years, I'd still want one more day with them.

So when that day comes when it is not a drill, I will have to rely on the Lord to make up for all the brokenness that will come.

Cojak, you remind me much of my uncle. Always in a good mood, been and done pretty much everything you wanted to do, and the such. Love ya, man.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/26/21 2:55 pm

Post Aaron Cojak
I have thought about BB so many times since he lost his wife. This morning after being married now 64+ yrs we had a pillow fight.
You are right, no 'drill' could prepare me for losing her.
BUT if all goes well here, She will drop me off for a ten day separation. I will TRY to put the back pack on and walk 100 miles in the mountains. Crowds are getting to me. even with the Cochlear implants I get confused and 'talk over' people and get embarrassed. I will walk most of the trip in total silence, no implant devices.
If that works, I plan to walk for 6-7 months starting January, 2270 miles, solo. I will be 83.
She agrees and supports me.
God bless you your family and all the Acts family also. Life and GOD is good.
5/27/21 9:07 am

Post The good news about not being able to hear... Aaron Scott
Cojak wrote:
I have thought about BB so many times since he lost his wife. This morning after being married now 64+ yrs we had a pillow fight.
You are right, no 'drill' could prepare me for losing her.
BUT if all goes well here, She will drop me off for a ten day separation. I will TRY to put the back pack on and walk 100 miles in the mountains. Crowds are getting to me. even with the Cochlear implants I get confused and 'talk over' people and get embarrassed. I will walk most of the trip in total silence, no implant devices.
If that works, I plan to walk for 6-7 months starting January, 2270 miles, solo. I will be 83.
She agrees and supports me.
God bless you your family and all the Acts family also. Life and GOD is good.

Fortunately, as you trek the Trail, you will not able to hear the bear that is stealthily stalking you, and will be torn limb from limb suddenly...instead of dreading the inevitable for days. (SMILE)
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/27/21 11:27 am

Post Re: The good news about not being able to hear... Cojak
Aaron Scott wrote:
Cojak wrote:

Fortunately, as you trek the Trail, you will not able to hear the bear that is stealthily stalking you, and will be torn limb from limb suddenly...instead of dreading the inevitable for days. (SMILE)

Too late, I am a fast learner. It took only two days to realize at 82 I cannot carry 41 pounds of pack. Back to the drawing board. How ever I am learning that Crow is not a bad diet. I am eating a lot of it.

That said, I did think of BB when I text's my wife and she came to get me. I am so blessed and fortunate to still have her. As I have said, I cannot imagine BB's thoughts (feelings) at that time in his life.

Love y'all. God is good. I will try the trail when I figure how to only carry 10 pounds.... Smile
6/1/21 10:18 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic