Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Should a Pastor's Salary be Commensurate with His Level of Academic Training?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Should a Pastor's Salary be Commensurate with His Level of Academic Training? Old Time Country Preacher
In some denominations a pastors salary is commensurate with his level of academic training. While other factors are taken into consideration (eg, number of years in ministry, etc.), a feller with a 4 year degree is gonna make more than a feller what quit high school in the 10th grade. If he has a graduate degree, his salary is more. If he has a doctorate (a real one) his salary is even more.

In the COG, if the funds are available in a given local church, a feller with a earned MDiv from PTS and a feller what quit high school in the 10th grade make the same thing. Even though the former spent 4 years in a undergrad program and 3 years earning the MDiv, paid for it hisself, an has disciplined hisself an prepared hisself for effective ministry, that is considered by some as meaningless. As Trump would tweet, SAD!

If funds are available, should a pastor's salary be commensurate with his level of academic training?
Acts-pert Poster
2/23/17 12:18 am

Post Link
No.
2/23/17 3:52 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
No
2/23/17 8:36 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
What about in your secular vocations, Link/NB, are folk compensated per their level of academic training? Or, is a particular job required to have a certain degree level? Acts-pert Poster
2/23/17 9:25 am

Post Cojak
I think we all know the salaries listed in the Book of Minutes is a guideline. Most churches that can afford it pay a pastor as the local board sets. BUGT to answer your question, I have always understood the ministry to be a 'CALLING' Not a chosen profession. However in the past 20-30 years it has taken on the comparison of 'Worldly occupations', such as saying Franklin Graham's salary and perks IS NOT COMMENSURATE WITH A CEO OF AN EQUALLY SIZED CORPORATION.

I personally think that comparison is ludicrous, since most of the folks paying the pastor's salary are GIVING, the pastor is not in the business of
'ensuring a profit'.

I am probably not expressing myself well, but I think a man's ministry 'results' should be considered above his education qualifications..
i.e. If a person with an EARNED degree sinks two pastorates in a row, the next church (should he be re-assigned) should definitely not pay according to his educational level. Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/23/17 9:47 am

Post THEY SHOULD ABSOLUTELY brotherjames
be paid commensurate with their training and education. This is also assumed for those who have been in the ministry x amount of years. A 30 year veteran pastor with a BA or equivalent should be paid more than a newbie out of school even one with a MDiv.

The prior responses from some of the posters on this thread is exactly the attitude that far too many church people have regarding their pastors salaries. THey are offended it seems if the pastor might be paid more than they are, even though it is a professional position requiring the many more skill sets than the average congregant can do. That attitude is EXACTLY why we don't post our specific salaries in our annual financial report. Someone will always complain as to why the pastor is making such and such even though it is actually smaller than it should be considering his experience/education etc.

I guess we don't care about the scripture indicating the elders are worthy of "double honor" do we?

As an aside, a new graduate from a pharmaceutical college makes above $125000 to start. A 30 year veteran pastor of a good sized church with a MDiv is lucky if he makes $90000 total package. Now, we are not in it for the money (obviously) but if the church can afford it they should do as well as possible and the people should be thrilled that they are doing their best for God's man and his family. But often it seems they resent it. We wouldn't want someone to make more than we do, would we?
Acts-celerater
2/23/17 9:57 am

Post Re: Should a Pastor's Salary be Commensurate with His Level of Academic Training? c6thplayer1
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
In some denominations a pastors salary is commensurate with his level of academic training. While other factors are taken into consideration (eg, number of years in ministry, etc.), a feller with a 4 year degree is gonna make more than a feller what quit high school in the 10th grade. If he has a graduate degree, his salary is more. If he has a doctorate (a real one) his salary is even more.

In the COG, if the funds are available in a given local church, a feller with a earned MDiv from PTS and a feller what quit high school in the 10th grade make the same thing. Even though the former spent 4 years in a undergrad program and 3 years earning the MDiv, paid for it hisself, an has disciplined hisself an prepared hisself for effective ministry, that is considered by some as meaningless. As Trump would tweet, SAD!

If funds are available, should a pastor's salary be commensurate with his level of academic training?

Yes. That along with performance , meaning objectives met , experience. Median salary for the position and location should also play into the formula.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/23/17 10:02 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
A guy with an accredited MDiv is probably going to be more likely at least to get a larger more prosperous church. However, if the funds are not there, and he feels he is where God wants him, his degree won't necessarily always translate into a higher salary. That's just how ministry generally is for everyone. That said, I've known MDivs and PhDs who couldn't preach their way out of a wet paper bag, so again, there's really no guarantee that any amount of formal education will necessarily translate into a higher salary in ministry. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/23/17 10:15 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
What about in your secular vocations, Link/NB, are folk compensated per their level of academic training? Or, is a particular job required to have a certain degree level?

A degree or training might be a minimum standard that gets you hired - but after that - it is the ability to do the job. Period.

You pay the going rate to keep the talent you have.
2/23/17 10:24 am

Post Absolutely He Should Earn More FG Minister
If a pastor has taken the time to prepare himself for ministry he should be compensated for it. He may even have loans to repay and will need the extra money. If the church "markets" his doctorate to encourage people to come to their church, then it is a plus to the congregation. I was just told this week by a family that has attended 11 years that the reason they came was my earned doctorate. They stayed because of the ministry being received. In all these 11 years I did not know that.

Tom Rainer (2014) says there are five ways a church determines a pastor's salary:

1. The pastor’s salary at the previous church.

2. Previous pastor's salary.

3. Experience.

4. Education.

5. Demographics of church.
Acts-celerater
2/23/17 10:33 am

Post bonnie knox
Quote:

only if it's from an ACCREDITED INSTITUTION
ROFL
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/23/17 10:50 am

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
I guess we don't care about the scripture indicating the elders are worthy of "double honor" do we?

Apparently you don't if you misrepresent them as cessationists and doubters. Where is the honor in that?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/23/17 11:00 am

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
such as saying Franklin Graham's salary and perks IS NOT COMMENSURATE WITH A CEO OF AN EQUALLY SIZED CORPORATION

I think what people are raising their eyebrows at is that Franklin Graham's salary and perks are high when compared to other NON-PROFIT organizations (not profit making corporations).
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/23/17 11:06 am

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
...I have always understood the ministry to be a 'CALLING' Not a chosen profession.

This is something to really chew on.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/23/17 11:08 am

Post Change Agent
Should be able to be paid for his academic level and training, if he is at a church that can afford to pay it. Acts Enthusiast
2/23/17 11:25 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
bonnie knox wrote:
Quote:

only if it's from an ACCREDITED INSTITUTION
ROFL

Bonnie is rollin in floor laughin, but she is on fleed, spot on, an as we say in Pikeville.............dead right.

If a academic credential aint from a accredited institution, it ain't even real.
Acts-pert Poster
2/23/17 12:07 pm

Post Great idea ... Mat
Great idea, if you want to encourage a move of churches becoming independent. How about this, you pay the guy more if he has more education. If the church does not grow or goes in the opposite direction, he gives back some of the money. He he fails to build in any position of ministry he is in, he burns his degree.

When it comes to money, you can't pay what is not there. Hold it, we could send all our tithes to Cleveland and they could pay based on education. There will work, won't it?

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
2/23/17 12:16 pm

Post Pastor Wright
Jesus seems to indicate that one should be faithful in the little things before being given bigger opportunities. That, however, may be another thread entirely.
2/23/17 12:31 pm

Post Re: Great idea ... Old Time Country Preacher
Mat wrote:
we could send all our tithes to Cleveland and they could pay based on education. There will work, won't it?

It didn't work for AJT, it was at very practice what began the sequence of events what led to the split.
Acts-pert Poster
2/23/17 2:48 pm

Post Da Sheik
OTCP wrote:

I think this is a great topic and worthy of discussion. In my humble opinion, the answer is "yes". The key phrase being, "if funds are available". I do not say this to demean anyone without a formal college education. I readily admit there are many wise men and great pastors who do not hold college degrees. Their dedication and faithfulness should be rewarded as well.

I'm not a young man anymore, but I often wonder what incentive our young pastors have to further their education. The average COG pastor will likely never make an income commensurate with postgraduate education. There are exceptions of course, but comparatively speaking- a COG pastor with an earned doctorate is much less likely to earn a salary commensurate with his/her education than our counterparts with other denominations.
Acts Enthusiast
2/23/17 3:40 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic