Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Ever been prophesied over? Did it come to pass?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post revuriah
Once, a preacher came through a church we attended up north. He prophesied that I was called to be a street evangelist. Well, I've ministered on the streets, but I can't say that it has come to pass. I barely remember what he said.

After I resigned the church in IL, I went to help out another COG that needed some musical help on bass, and assist the pastor however I could. I was really discouraged, really depressed. I felt like a failure. That pastor began praying for me one Sunday, and prophesied that God was not done with me, that He would walk out of that time of dryness. It began happening, slowly. Still waiting for total fulfillment, but I see that He is bringing me gradually where He wants me.

Revuriah's Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/people/Jeff-Richard/1226257444

Jeffrey David Richard's Myspace Music
www.myspace.com/547856946
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
12/2/16 12:23 pm

Post Ventureforth
diakoneo wrote:
Ventureforth wrote:
I've been prophesied over a few times and I wished I would have recorded them because I only have sketchy remembrances of them. There a few that were short and I remember them quite well.
But much of what I do remember has come true to a degree. I seem to recall some of them being conditional. And perhaps that explains some of the prophesies that don't come to fruition.
Question: Do you think one who prophesies but gets it wrong at least once, can still be a valid prophet?

1Co 14:29  Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge. 

Judge: To compare facts or ideas, and perceive their agreement or disagreement, and thus to distinguish truth from falsehood.

Wonder if perhaps we are misinterpreting things things that the one who holds the office of a prophet is supposed to be doing? Is everything about prediction with these folks? As I recall there was one prediction made (after Christ ascended) by a prophet and that was related to a dearth or coming famine. Having knowledge of this the church moved to prepare.

It seems that we ask a lot for our own pleasure and entertainment from some of these so called prophets. And asking we get exactly what we ask for...

I agree we can and should judge prophecy by scripture and spiritual discernment. But I believe we should take care in doing so. Just because a person is wrong about what he or she prophesied, doesn't mean there was an intent to deceive. And do we not all make mistakes in doing God's work? Sometimes we don't hear God correctly. I was thinking this is true of a prophet as well. But I understand there is great need to be correct. So if I hear a major prophecy about me I probably would seek confirmation, depending on what it is.
But I think the devil tries to put just enough confusion and deception into our lives to drive us to "despising prophesying."
To your other point D, there are words from God that are more in the lines of exhortation or guidance.
All this is in my humble opinion. I'm sure many of you have much more experience with prophecy than I. But discussion is helpful.
Acts-celerater
12/2/16 1:11 pm

Post diakoneo
Ventureforth wrote:
diakoneo wrote:
Ventureforth wrote:
I've been prophesied over a few times and I wished I would have recorded them because I only have sketchy remembrances of them. There a few that were short and I remember them quite well.
But much of what I do remember has come true to a degree. I seem to recall some of them being conditional. And perhaps that explains some of the prophesies that don't come to fruition.
Question: Do you think one who prophesies but gets it wrong at least once, can still be a valid prophet?

Judge: To compare facts or ideas, and perceive their agreement or disagreement, and thus to distinguish truth from falsehood.

Wonder if perhaps we are misinterpreting things things that the one who holds the office of a prophet is supposed to be doing? Is everything about prediction with these folks? As I recall there was one prediction made (after Christ ascended) by a prophet and that was related to a dearth or coming famine. Having knowledge of this the church moved to prepare.

It seems that we ask a lot for our own pleasure and entertainment from some of these so called prophets. And asking we get exactly what we ask for...

I agree we can and should judge prophecy by scripture and spiritual discernment. But I believe we should take care in doing so. Just because a person is wrong about what he or she prophesied, doesn't mean there was an intent to deceive. And do we not all make mistakes in doing God's work? Sometimes we don't hear God correctly. I was thinking this is true of a prophet as well. But I understand there is great need to be correct. So if I hear a major prophecy about me I probably would seek confirmation, depending on what it is.
But I think the devil tries to put just enough confusion and deception into our lives to drive us to "despising prophesying."
To your other point D, there are words from God that are more in the lines of exhortation or guidance.
All this is in my humble opinion. I'm sure many of you have much more experience with prophecy than I. But discussion is helpful.

I think exhortation is good, but I think personal exhortation has gone too far. It is my understanding that the Spiritual gifts are for the entire body and not just individual members. If someone could help me out on that, I would be appreciative.

Some members are exploiting others and are being exploited. I have seen these men do this and the main objective is personal power, fame and money.

Spiritual gifts should be used to exhort the body of Christ. There are times when personal exhortation is necessary, but I think the public arena is not the proper place for much personal exhortation because it has a tendency to exalt the prophet and the one being prophesied over.

Just my opinion and I always enjoy this discussion!
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
12/2/16 6:27 pm

Post Ventureforth
diakoneo wrote:
Ventureforth wrote:
diakoneo wrote:
Ventureforth wrote:

I think exhortation is good, but I think personal exhortation has gone too far. It is my understanding that the Spiritual gifts are for the entire body and not just individual members. If someone could help me out on that, I would be appreciative.

Some members are exploiting others and are being exploited. I have seen these men do this and the main objective is personal power, fame and money.

Spiritual gifts should be used to exhort the body of Christ. There are times when personal exhortation is necessary, but I think the public arena is not the proper place for much personal exhortation because it has a tendency to exalt the prophet and the one being prophesied over.

Just my opinion and I always enjoy this discussion!

My understanding is that prophecy overall is not exclusively for the church as a whole. But I can see there might be problem if one prophesied something person to a particular person who did not necessarily want it disclosed. Then I can foresee other issues. In 1 Corinthians 1:14 Paul does speak about prophecy benefiting the whole church: "but the one who prophesies builds up the church." But to me, it looks like the context is about the church gathering here.
He also says,
Quote:
"But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or outsider enters, he is convicted by all, he is called to account by all, 25 the secrets of his heart are disclosed.

I don't know. That seems like personal prophecy. Maybe not.
And then I seem to recall prophecy is "speaking forth." So I don't see why that couldn't be done to an individual under the right circumstances. Personal prophecy happen several times in the OT. In the NT, how about Acts 5:1-5 and Acts 9:10-17 ?
Anyway, there are wolves in sheep's clothing.
I sometimes wonder if the reason there is not more prophecy and even tongues now days is because of abuse and the resulting skepticism. I think God gives gifts as we can handle them correctly.

That said:
Quote:
Pursue love, and earnestly desire the spiritual gifts, especially that you may prophesy. 1 Corinthians 14:1

More to the OP:
It is good to remember what I believe God has spoken to me personally in the past through the prophetic word. Just wish I could remember it all. Smile Perhaps if and when it is important I would remember them.

Well I've probably gone on too long. But this give me another reason to think about these matters.
Acts-celerater
12/3/16 9:33 pm

Post bradfreeman
Yes and yes.

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
12/15/16 11:16 am

Post Link
revuriah wrote:
Once, a preacher came through a church we attended up north. He prophesied that I was called to be a street evangelist. Well, I've ministered on the streets, but I can't say that it has come to pass. I barely remember what he said.

If you get a prophecy that you are called to be a street evangelist, then you could do it or not do it. If it's a true prophecy, and you don't fulfill your call, then that doesn't make the prophecy false.
12/23/16 10:08 pm

Post Link
As far as personal prophecy goes, there are plenty of Biblical examples of it. By 'personal prophesy', I mean a prophecy directed at an individual. There are many examples of it in the Old Testament, and there is also good evidence for it in the New Testament.

In the Old Testament, there are examples of prophecies given over individuals, often over kings. Samuel prophesied over Saul and anointed David. A prophet prophesied that Jeroboam becoming king. One of the sons of the prophets prophesied that Jehu would be king. There are 'personal prophecies' given while the person was alone and when there were witnesses. The prophecies over kings were not limited to the kings of Israel. Reading through the prophets, there are specific prophecies for Obed-Melech and Baruch, for example.

What about New Testament prophets? Agabus prophesied that Paul would be bound. That is a clear case of 'personal prophecy.' Some brethren warned Paul not to go to Jerusalem, and Paul said that in every city, the Holy Spirit testified of bonds and affliction that awaited him. Those might have come in the form of personal prophecies.

When the prophets and teachers gathered in Antioch, the Spirit spoke to separate Saul and Barnabas to the work to which he had called them. That was a prophecy about two people. It was directed at the saints there, but it had to do with the ministries of two individuals.

Timothy had a gift given to him through prophecy with the laying on of hands of the elders. The gift was imparted by means of someone prophesying it over him, under the moving of the Spirit. After the prophecy was given, he had the gift.

Timothy was to recall prophecies made about him, so that by them, he would fight a good warfare. That sounds like 'personal prophecy' to me.

Personal prophecies can build up a congregation that hears them. It encourages, and people can learn about how God operates in people's lives. We are built up by reading personal prophecies in scripture as well.

In a hypothetical example Paul gives, the secrets of an unbeliever or uninstructed man's heart are made manifest through prophecy, and he falls on his face declaring that God is truly among you.

This is also edifying for believers.

This may not be prophecy per se, maybe more like a word of knowledge, but Peter pointed out Anania's and Saphira's sins, apparently in some kind of public context, without worrying that he was letting everyone know their secrets.
12/23/16 10:55 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.