Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

What are your thoughts on cremation?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Quiet Wyatt
UncleJD wrote:
That's debatable and if it has to be done the same day (as someone said), could add further, undue stress on the hurting family. The point is that there are probably a lot of valid, non-pagan, reasons for doing it. In fact, would not embalming be a "pagan" practice in its Egyptian origins? Yet the early Church wasn't opposed to it obviously. I think Joseph introduced it from Egyptian culture into Jewish culture (though it was not widely practiced I think since it is not mentioned many times)

Okay, I think you and perhaps NBF misunderstood my reference to paganism. I have never said or meant to imply that anyone who requests or performs cremation is pagan. I am simply observing the fact that historically, Christians and Jews have practiced burial out of respect for the body and their belief in the resurrection to come, and that pagan cultures have typically instead practiced cremation especially in light of their lack of respect for the physical body and their lack of belief and disdain for the idea of any sort of resurrection.

Last edited by Quiet Wyatt on 9/1/16 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/1/16 11:43 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
UncleJD wrote:
That's debatable and if it has to be done the same day (as someone said), could add further, undue stress on the hurting family. The point is that there are probably a lot of valid, non-pagan, reasons for doing it. In fact, would not embalming be a "pagan" practice in its Egyptian origins? Yet the early Church wasn't opposed to it obviously. I think Joseph introduced it from Egyptian culture into Jewish culture (though it was not widely practiced I think since it is not mentioned many times)

The early church, so far as I have been able to find in studying this, did not practice embalming, but typically buried dead bodies fairly soon after death.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/1/16 12:10 pm

Post bonnie knox
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
I have real warm and powdery thoughts when I think about cremation. Some folks think they can urn their way into heaven.

Warm ain't the word for it; think of all the degrees you will attain in the process!
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/1/16 12:12 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
I have real warm and powdery thoughts when I think about cremation. Some folks think they can urn their way into heaven.

I'm just worried I may make an ash out of myself
Acts-pert Poster
9/1/16 1:31 pm

Post Clint Wills
Brandon Bohannon wrote:
There's a company in Arizona that will pay for cremation and shipping if you donate your body to science. Three elderly members of the church that I pastor signed up. One of them has already passed and the company made good.

I'm in!!! I just hope that I dies with a smile so when some poor medical student uncovers my face they'll freak out a little

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/1/16 1:47 pm

Post bonnie knox
Clint Wills wrote:
Brandon Bohannon wrote:
There's a company in Arizona that will pay for cremation and shipping if you donate your body to science. Three elderly members of the church that I pastor signed up. One of them has already passed and the company made good.

I'm in!!! I just hope that I dies with a smile so when some poor medical student uncovers my face they'll freak out a little

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

They name their cadavers; they would just call you "Smiley."
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/1/16 2:33 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
bonnie knox wrote:

Warm ain't the word for it; think of all the degrees you will attain in the process!

ONe thing is fer shore, Miss Bonnie, aint a one them degrees gonna be fake. Son, them is the real deal.
Acts-pert Poster
9/1/16 5:45 pm

Post Cojak
JLarry wrote:
I told my wife to cremate me, when I die. It would save a lot of money. She said she could not do that. One of our boys agreed with her.

It does not matter to me what they do. I was only trying to help her save money.

BTW Tommy Powell. I do not plan to burn twice. Smile

My wife had the same reaction my friend. My grand kids plan to make sure "Here Lies Jack In A Box' on the tomb stone so I gotta have one of 'em. But it could be a small box with my ashes in it..

And I like the burn twice retort! ha!

But my feelings on Cremation are it is no problem. Not much difference than years ago when folks were just placed in the ground in a blanket etc. it all would be dust in a couple hundred years, Imma guessing.

I preferred burial at sea but mama nixed that also. Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
9/1/16 7:28 pm

Post Re: What are your thoughts on cremation? Cojak
Eddie Robbins wrote:
What are your personal thoughts concerning a Christian being cremated?

Very good discussion post Eddie. I like this. Some good points made. Cool
9/1/16 7:29 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
My wife and I are considering it. Spread my ashes on the greenway and at Lee University. I am going to convince her to request her's to be spread somewhere in the Caribbean and I'll be forced to go on a cruise.....assuming I out-live her. Acts-pert Poster
9/1/16 8:05 pm

Post Cojak
Eddie Robbins wrote:
My wife and I are considering it. Spread my ashes on the greenway and at Lee University. I am going to convince her to request her's to be spread somewhere in the Caribbean and I'll be forced to go on a cruise.....assuming I out-live her.

Good one! Cool
9/1/16 11:10 pm

Post Going for it R. Keith Whitt
Some see Paul's "though I give my body to be burned" (1 Cor. 13:3) as a reference to cremation. Of the possible interpretations, this is the easiest to accept Smile

Here's my take: Several of the early church leaders were burned at the stake or used as torches. Resurrection power is not dependent upon either my body's location or condition. When I am called forth, I WILL come forth.

Cremation is the option I have chosen to speed up the dust to dust and ashes to ashes process Smile

Keith
9/3/16 6:51 am

Post Re: Going for it Cojak
R. Keith Whitt wrote:
Some see Paul's "though I give my body to be burned" (1 Cor. 13:3) as a reference to cremation. Of the possible interpretations, this is the easiest to accept Smile

Here's my take: Several of the early church leaders were burned at the stake or used as torches. Resurrection power is not dependent upon either my body's location or condition. When I am called forth, I WILL come forth.

Cremation is the option I have chosen to speed up the dust to dust and ashes to ashes process Smile

Keith

Idea Smile Smile Thumb Up
9/3/16 11:14 am

Post bonnie knox
It might be some folks' only chance for a smokin' hot body. Cool [Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/3/16 2:32 pm

Post Cojak
bonnie knox wrote:
It might be some folks' only chance for a smokin' hot body. Cool

Awww Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Shocked
9/3/16 5:45 pm

Post Burial or Cremation 4thgeneration
Here is what Genesis says about our life/body. "In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread Till you return to the ground, For out of it you were taken; For dust you are, And to dust you shall return." Genesis 3:19

We are designed from dust and destined to return to dust. So my thought is this, embalming slows the process and cremation speeds the process. How can one be right and the other wrong?
Acts Enthusiast
9/3/16 7:41 pm

Post Re: Burial or Cremation Cojak
4thgeneration wrote:
Here is what Genesis says about our life/body. "In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread Till you return to the ground, For out of it you were taken; For dust you are, And to dust you shall return." Genesis 3:19

We are designed from dust and destined to return to dust. So my thought is this, embalming slows the process and cremation speeds the process. How can one be right and the other wrong?

Smile Thumb Up
9/3/16 10:33 pm

Post Link
Historically, Jews and Christians (and Muslims, too) have practiced some form of burial. Some of the Jews used sepulcres.

Pagans cremated. Greek pagans, Roman pagans if I recall correctly, Norse pagans, Hindu, and Buddhist pagans created and creamate the dead.

The first group believe in a resurrection of the body. Some pagan groups believe in getting rid of the body.

I believe God can sort out ashes for the martyrs burned at the stake, but I believe in the resurrection of the body.

Jesus' brother's family apparently thought enough of burial to put James' bones in that nice ossuary that was discovered several years ago. Some Palestinian scavenger probably dumped St. James bones out of the box or maybe the Armenian Orthodox church put them somewhere. Joseph didn't want to leave his bones in Egypt. He had them buried in the holy land where the Messiah would return at the resurrection.

I want a proper Christian burial for my body when I die, not a pagan body burning. If they burn me, God can figure that out.

As far as the Bible goes, I can't find anything that says, 'thou shalt not creamate.' But Jesus said, 'let the dead bury their dead.' He didn't say, 'let the dead creamate their dead.
9/4/16 2:27 am

Post Patrick Harris
When Jesus said " let the dead bury the dead " it was not in reference to the proper mode of disposing the body.
It was not actual command to future believers. It was given for a specific time and situation.
In context it was an instruction on discipleship and the cost of following him.

Neither a command to bury or a prohibition of cremation.
Acts Enthusiast
9/4/16 8:19 am

Post Cojak
Patrick Harris wrote:
When Jesus said " let the dead bury the dead " it was not in reference to the proper mode of disposing the body.
It was not actual command to future believers. It was given for a specific time and situation.
In context it was an instruction on discipleship and the cost of following him.

Neither a command to bury or a prohibition of cremation.

Roger that! Thumb Up
9/4/16 1:11 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.