Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Do you have Deacons, Elders, or Pastor's Council?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Do you have Deacons, Elders, or Pastor's Council? Da Sheik
Just curious as to what the leadership structure of your church looks like. Do you have elders , deacons , a council , or something else ? And what is the protocol for the selection/election of those offices ? We have elders and there is a leadership program that all must complete before eligibility. I frequently call upon our elders to speak in my absence so they have a great deal of responsibility. Acts Enthusiast
12/1/15 5:47 pm

Post Re: Do you have Deacons, Elders, or Pastor's Council? Old Time Country Preacher
Da Sheik wrote:
I frequently call upon our elders to speak in my absence so they have a great deal of responsibility.

Sheik, when these fellers fill in for ya when ya absent, do they wear one a them red "Da Sheik" hats too? Didn't know if at was part a the preachin protocol.

Ooops, bout forgot, I heard way too many stories from Baptist preachers bout em deacons bein full a the devil, so we chose to not deal with em deacons. An as pastor, I do enough counciling, so we chose to not use any more pastors councilers. We went with elders at the ole timers church.
Acts-pert Poster
12/1/15 11:06 pm

Post c6thplayer1
Our Protocol is , and in this order ;

1. The pastor
2. 3 trustees
3. Finance Officer
4. The Cooks
5. The Congregation
6. Music Minister { Thats me }
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
12/1/15 11:11 pm

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
I frequently call upon our elders to speak in my absence so they have a great deal of responsibility.

That makes me think of the joke Jerry Clower told about the college professor who went around giving the same speech and the chauffeur who had the speech memorized. Cool
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/1/15 11:22 pm

Post Cojak
c6thplayer1 wrote:

1. The pastor
2. 3 trustees
3. Finance Officer
4. The Cooks
5. The Congregation

6th in line, fits the pen name! (smile)
At least you are on the list. Very Happy
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/1/15 11:39 pm

Post Da Sheik
To answer OTCP's concerns.....No Turban Required lol

It seems that we teeter between two extremes; deacons who usurp authority over the pastor or pastors who act as a dictator. It's tough to find balance. Just when I think our church has reached Eutopia I find that either I or the elders have too much power Wink
Acts Enthusiast
12/2/15 6:30 pm

Post Cojak
Da Sheik wrote:
To answer OTCP's concerns.....No Turban Required lol

It seems that we teeter between two extremes; deacons who usurp authority over the pastor or pastors who act as a dictator. It's tough to find balance. Just when I think our church has reached Eutopia I find that either I or the elders have too much power Wink

Methinks you are not alone! Very Happy Very Happy

It is honestly hard to find a real true balance. Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/2/15 6:35 pm

Post Elders and Deacons... spartanfan
The Elders help the pastors pray for, care for and teach the people of the church and they also fulfill the role of the "Church and Pastor's Council" as outlined in the minutes.

The Deacons help the staff by overseeing maintenance of the campuses, doing "smaller jobs" their selves and recommending larger projects that need to be done. They also serve as security, ushers, greeters, etc. and do the things necessary to help the services flow smoothly.

Every church is different and there is no one size fits all when it comes to Elders, Deacons and Church and Pastor's Council. Look at several models and then prayerfully design your own - leaving room for "tweaking" it as you learn what's good about what your doing (or bad) so you can get it as close to right for your people as possible.
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
12/2/15 6:51 pm

Post c6thplayer1
Cojak wrote:
c6thplayer1 wrote:

1. The pastor
2. 3 trustees
3. Finance Officer
4. The Cooks
5. The Congregation

6th in line, fits the pen name! (smile)
At least you are on the list. Very Happy

I didnt think anyone would catch that.. Nice Cojak !
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
12/2/15 7:43 pm

Post 7 Deacons and 2 Trustees currently brotherjames
I have a wonderful board of men (have had a woman as well in the past) and have no problems with them they can't fire me, it takes a majority vote from the official membership.

Constitution
ARTICLE VII. OFFICERS

Section 1.

There shall be a Pastor duly called by the Assembly who is affiliated and in good standing with the General Council of the Assemblies of God.

Section 2.

There shall be a Secretary and a Treasurer for the Assembly.

Section 3.

There shall be a Board of Deacons of uneven number of not less than three nor more than seven members, all sound in the faith and of good report, who shall qualify according to the Scriptural standards (I Tim. 3:8-13) and shall ardently believe in the Baptism of the Holy Ghost or have received this subsequent experience to salvation according to Acts 2:4. Deacons are further qualified by their consistent loyalty to the work and mission of the Assembly in witness and stewardship, which include tithes and offerings as well as tithing their time. They must promote tithing among the membership. They shall, in cooperation with the Pastor, be committed to the spiritual management of the Assembly and, having power as Trustees shall serve in the administrative capacity of caring for the routine business and carrying out the policies established by the congregation.

Section 4.

There shall be a Board of Trustees of even number of not less than two nor more than four members, all sound in the faith and of good report, who, in cooperation with the Pastor and the Board of Deacons, shall maintain real and chattel properties of the Assembly and shall, in response to the will and policies of the Assembly, have the power to purchase or acquire a gift, bequest, or otherwise, to own, hold in trust, sell, borrow, convey, mortgage, invest, lease or otherwise dispose of or develop any real or chattel properties as may be necessary for the furtherance of the purposes of the Assembly. At the discretion of the Assembly - by majority vote, the Board of Deacons may serve also as a Board of Trustees. The Pastor shall serve as Chairman of the Board of Trustees.

Bylaws Section 5.

The Pastor, together with the Board of Deacons and the Board of Trustees, shall constitute the Official Board, which shall meet at the discretion of the Pastor to transact business common to the ministries of both Boards. The Pastor shall serve as Chairman of the Official Board.

Bylaws. ARTICLE II. DUTIES OF OFFICERS

Section 1. Pastor
Since the Scripture designates the Pastor to be the head of the Assembly, under the leadership of the Lord Jesus Christ, and refers to him as "Pastor" (Eph. 4:11), "overseer” (Acts 20:28), and
“shepherd" (I Peter 5:1-3), the Pastor shall be:
(a) The general supervisor of all activities of the Assembly.
(b) An ex-officio member of all departments, boards, and committees.
(c) The Chairman of the Board of Trustees.
(d) Sponsor for all the services of the Assembly and shall arrange for all special meetings, giving due regard to the Assembly.
(e) Chairman of all business meetings of the Assembly.
(f) He shall be Chairman of the Board of Deacons and Official Board.
(g) He shall serve as President of the Corporation.
(h) Responsible to perform all other duties which properly pertain to the pastoral ministry.
No person shall be invited to speak, preach, or participate in a service or meeting without his approval.

Section 2. Other Ministers

The provision of any additions to the pastoral staff such as Associate and Assistant Pastors, Directors of Music, Youth, Visitation, or Education, and all other church employees shall be appointed by the Pastor and be under his supervision only, with the approval of the Board of Deacons, including job descriptions.

Section 3. Secretary

The secretary shall be appointed by the Board of Deacons from it's own membership.

Section 4. Treasurer

The treasurer shall serve as an internal auditor and oversee the depositing and dispersing of funds for the Assembly.

Section 5. Deacons

The Board of Deacons is chosen to serve the Assembly and therefore shall:

(a) Act in an advisory capacity to the Pastor in all matters pertaining to the Assembly in its spiritual life and in the administration of its ordinances.
(b) Act in the examination, at their discretion, of applicants for membership and also in the administration of the discipline of the Assembly.
(c) Have the power of Trustees to administer the property rights of the Assembly and to care for the same.
(d) Provide for a temporary Chairman of the Board in the absence of a Pastor.
A majority present of the Board of Deacons shall constitute a quorum.

Section 6. Trustees

The Board of Trustees is chosen to serve the Assembly and therefore shall:
(a) Serve as custodians of all church property and shall be responsible for the maintenance of the same.
(b) Meet to discharge duties as necessity may demand upon proper notification by the Pastor who shall serve as Chairman.
(c) Serve under the general supervision of the Board of Deacons and shall meet together as the Official Board to transact business pertaining to vital interests of the Assembly concerning property privileges and rights.
A majority present of the Board of Trustees shall constitute a quorum.

ARTICLE III. ELECTIONS AND VACANCIES

Section 1. Pastor

The Pastor shall be voted indefinitely but is expected to maintain a sensitivity to the will of the Assembly and of God and shall for his benefit have a vote of confidence at least every two years at his discretion at a properly called business meeting of the Assembly.
The election of a Pastor shall be at a properly announced business meeting of the Assembly called for that purpose. A two-thirds majority vote of all votes cast shall be required to constitute an election.
In the event that a Pastor has serious charges preferred against him by the Assemblies of God, or he departs from the Tenets of Faith, or his ministry ceases to be effective, power is vested in the Board of Deacons, by requiring a majority vote of the Assembly, to ask for the resignation of the Pastor at any of its regular meetings. In the event such a resignation is refused, the pastorate shall not be considered vacant until the action of the Board of Deacons is confirmed by a majority vote of the Assembly of all votes cast at a properly announced business meeting called for that purpose. Such meeting is to be presided over by a District Official.
When a vacancy in the pastorate shall occur, the Board of Deacons shall arrange a supply until the Assembly shall choose a Pastor. In the event of a Pastor's removal from office the Secretary of the Assembly shall make a report of such action immediately to a District Official.
When a Pastor resigns from office, unless otherwise agreed upon by Pastor and Board, the Pastor shall give not less than thirty days notice. Upon official ceasing of a Pastor's ministry by the Board of Deacons in agreement with the will of the Assembly, the Assembly shall continue to provide regular services and benefits for sixty days for the Pastor although his ministry will have ceased at the point of the final discharge.

Section 2. Secretary

The secretary shall be appointed by the Board of Deacons from it's own membership.

Section 3. Treasurer

The Treasurer shall be elected by a majority vote of the Assembly at an annual business meeting and shall hold office for two years. The Board of Deacons shall fill vacancies until the next regular business meeting at which time the office will be open for election. Appointees to this office to fill a vacancy shall not by virtue of office necessarily be a Deacon.

Section 4. Deacons

The Board of Deacons shall be chosen from the active membership of the Assembly and shall have been a faithful member the last full year preceding nomination (I Tim. 3:10) and shall be expected to complete the three year tenure of office, respecting unforeseen providential changes. Candidates for Deacon shall be nominated by a nominating committee consisting of the Board of Deacons (with the exception of the ones with expired offices), and six active members from the congregation, selected by the Pastor. They shall be elected by a majority vote of the Assembly. When the Board of Deacons consists of seven Deacons, one year two will be elected, the second year two will be elected and the third year three will be elected.
Vacancies shall be filled by a majority vote of the Assembly at any duly called business meeting for that purpose.
Deacons may not serve more than two (2) consequetive three (3) year terms.

Section 5. Trustees

The Board of Trustees shall be chosen from the active membership of the Assembly by a majority vote of all votes cast and shall be expected to complete the six year term of office, respecting unforeseen providential changes. The Board of Deacons shall nominate candidates and the floor of the business meeting of the Assembly shall be open for any further nominations. When the Board of Trustees consists of two Trustees, every three years one shall be elected, and when it consists of four Trustees, every three years two will be elected.
Vacancies shall be filled by a majority vote of the Assembly at any duly called business meeting for that purpose.
Trustees may not serve consequetive terms.

Section 6. Other Officers

The provision of other officers to the pastoral or church staff, and all other church employees shall be made by appointment by the Pastor with the approval of the Board of Deacons and vacancies shall be filled in a corresponding way.
Any office may be declared vacant by an act of a majority vote of the membership of the Board of Deacons at any regular or special business meetings. Grounds for such action shall be:
(a) Unscriptural Conduct.
(b) Doctrinal departure from the Tenets of Faith.
(c) Incompetence in office.
Any incumbent under charges shall have opportunity for a fair and impartial hearing of his case before the Board of Deacons and, if he thinks necessary, before the Assembly.
Acts-celerater
12/3/15 1:41 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic