Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate
Browse by what's: hot | new | rising | top of the week

Anyone else have issues with Ted Dekker books?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Nature Boy Florida
UncleJD wrote:
Nature Boy Florida wrote:

Apparently your tastes and the American public at large are quite different.

That's been obvious to me since they elected Obama. Twice.

Here is an anecdote for you that is most likely true: Most of the people with Kinkade art in their home did not vote for Obama.
12/3/15 7:53 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Nick Park wrote:
Nick,

You have made a litmus test for selling materials in a Christian bookstore which I am ok with.

Shouldn't that litmus test apply even more to churches as well?

So should we surmise that you also feel that any COG minister who has been divorced, had an extra marital affair, drank any alcohol or took drugs should be disqualified from ministry in the church?

Or is it bookstores only that you have this high standard for?

Or is it just Kinkade you have singled out - and divorced church of God ministers get a free pass?

Just trying to be clear here.

I certainly think the same litmus test I applied to Kinkade should apply to Church of God ministers. Any Church of God of minister who is convicted of a DWI and has not gone through a restoration program, has an ongoing alcohol and drugs problem, and who is living with a woman other than his wife should not be permitted to preach in, let alone pastor, a church.

If a painter had a divorce, and then went through a lengthy restoration program, then that should be no bar to their paintings being sold in a Christian bookstore.

Just being clear here. Wink

Much of Kinkade's art was done before he spiraled out of control...but that is beside the point.

You still ought to have offer a retraction for slamming the guy.
12/3/15 7:59 am

Post Nick Park

Much of Kinkade's art was done before he spiraled out of control...but that is beside the point.

You still ought to have offer a retraction for slamming the guy.

Fair enough, if the use of the term 'drug addled' has offended anyone then I apologise.

I come from a race of people who joke about everything, more often about ourselves than anything else. Obviously my attempts at one-liner humor in this case touched a raw nerve.

What I was trying to say, in response to Aaron's question about stuff that isn't really Christian getting promoted in Christian bookstores, is that I get frustrated when such stores get cluttered up with paintings that are (in my opinion) of little artistic value, have little or no spiritual content, and are painted by an artist whose life, over a considerable period of time, followed a lifestyle that was far from Christ-honoring. I really don't understand why they are sold in Christian bookstores.

There is so much great Christ art out there, both classic and contemporary, which tackles biblical and spiritual themes in bold and innovative ways. It seems a crying shame to me that it doesn't get more exposure in stores that profess to be Christian.

For what it's worth I feel the same about Amish romance novels that take up shelf space that could be devoted to Christian literature. The same applies to 'self-help' books by celebrity preachers that change spouses more often than I change the oil in my car. Thankfully my writing efforts are only a sideline and not my main occupation. I should think full-time Christian authors must get profoundly depressed when they visit Christian bookstores.

http://eaiseanchai.wordpress.com/
Acts Enthusiast
12/3/15 8:44 am

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
Fair enough, if the use of the term 'drug addled' has offended anyone then I apologise.

I accept your apology.

Sometimes I do feel depressed when I walk into a "Christian bookstore." I see a lot of overpriced merchandise that is sold by tacking Bible verses on it (things like butter mints that are overpriced because the wrappers have scriptures and they are called testa-mints). Notepads, greeting cards, pocket calendars, diaries--all overpriced and "Christian merchandise" because of a verse tacked on.
And then there is the stuff they don't sell (or sell from behind the counter). I shake my head every time I think about all the Lifeway stores (which are almost a monopoly in this area) pulling the issue of the magazine Gospel Today because it had ~GASP~ women ministers on the cover!
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/3/15 9:04 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
I like Kinkade's art.

I have the song Amazing Grace at the entrance to my home - which is beautifully printed on the artwork of Thomas Kinkade.

I believe there was a genius there that apparently is not appreciated by many. The artwork may be simple - but it captures something on canvas that many folks would like... serenity, color, simplicity.

Perhaps my tastes are not refined.

I do draw the line at Velvet Elvis paintings. So far I have not been tempted to purchase any of them.
12/3/15 9:09 am

Post bonnie knox
Personally, I find Kinkade art to be a bit syrupy for my liking. I'm probably getting a little curmudgeonly in my old age, anyway. In my living room, I have two large botanical prints that I bought for $10 at a thrift shop. One is of primroses and the other is of pansies. My husband says the pansies remind him of little possum faces. (He has a good imagination.)

(this is not the print I have, but it gives an idea)

I used to have a large print of Renoir's "Dance at Bougival" hanging in the bedroom because it reminded me of Chief Charging Battery and myself. (I have a good imagination.)

But I do not have any Kinkade art on my walls.
(Or Dekker books on my shelf.)
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/3/15 10:06 am

Post Cojak
I like Kinkade's art.

I have the song Amazing Grace at the entrance to my home - which is beautifully printed on the artwork of Thomas Kinkade.

I believe there was a genius there that apparently is not appreciated by many. The artwork may be simple - but it captures something on canvas that many folks would like... serenity, color, simplicity.

Perhaps my tastes are not refined.
This is probably my problem, but it doesn't bother me. Cool

I do draw the line at Velvet Elvis paintings. So far I have not been tempted to purchase any of them.

I ain't never bought one of 'em Velvet pictures, but before Elvis' time my brother brought a painting on Velvet home from the Philippines to my mama after WWII. As a kid I thought was them most beautiful picture in the world. Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/3/15 11:29 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic