Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Pastor Commits Suicide While Congregation Waits for Him to Preach (L)

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Pastor Commits Suicide While Congregation Waits for Him to Preach (L) Dave Dorsey
http://www.churchleaders.com/pastors/pastor-articles/171423-pastor-commits-suicide-while-congregation-waits-for-him-to-preach.html

Quote:
"He needed to take a break from ministry and the way our culture is, the culture forbids that. How much do you share? How much grace do people allow?" he explained.

"It's hard to be honest. It's difficult for some preachers to be honest. Every pastor needs a pastor to kind of lead and guide them. But it's hard for us to really find that relationship because often pastors are trying to compete with or cremate you. And so it's difficult to find camaraderie," Smith added.

Read the whole thing...
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/1/15 11:36 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
I read this a few days ago, Dave. Sad indeed! Acts-pert Poster
12/1/15 11:44 am

Post georgiapath
The pastor of one of the largest churches in this town did that a year ago. His wife said that he had recently gone on medication for depression. It was a shock to many people. Acts-dicted
12/1/15 12:27 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Dave,
How does anyone take a break from working - without going on welfare?
And then applying for a new job.

I would love to take 3 months off from working - but I like to have a home too.

We have to find a way to cope - because the pressures of this life are getting worse - not better - for all of us.

Sad that he was diagnosed already - but could not share it with others - for fear of __________________
12/1/15 4:31 pm

Post Two Links Mark Ledbetter
[url] http://www.expastors.com/why-do-so-many-pastors-leave-the-ministry-the-facts-will-shock-you/[/url]

http://maranathalife.com/lifeline/stats.htm

One estimates pastors leave at a rate of 1700/month, the other 1500/month.
Spirit-Led
(This is how I want to be)
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
12/1/15 5:16 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Dave,

Many pastors do not earn their living from ministry, first of all. Aside from that, if you think the weight of your job or mine is equivalent to the weight of leading a ministry, I believe you are sincerely mistaken.

We need to be promoting a culture that allows and pays for sabbaticals. Taking time away to rest, recover, and be restored by the Lord is the way to cope.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/1/15 5:19 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Dave,

Many pastors do not earn their living from ministry, first of all. Aside from that, if you think the weight of your job or mine is equivalent to the weight of leading a ministry, I believe you are sincerely mistaken.

We need to be promoting a culture that allows and pays for sabbaticals. Taking time away to rest, recover, and be restored by the Lord is the way to cope.

I knew you felt that way. There are numerous jobs a lot more stressful than being a pastor ... and none of them get sabbaticals.

The only sabbaticals around are for jobs that are the least stressful - like college professor - why - because that job doesn't require constant attention.

Seems most of you guys go around telling each other how stressful your job is - and I can agree it is stressful - but when pastors talk about how tough their job is - the congregation chalks it up to another area the pastor is clueless.

Perhaps a little more seeing how tough other lines of work are would help pastors feel a little less stressed.

I hope you agree being a policeman or fireman or military active is more stressful.

But below that - computer personnel responsible to keep the banks up and running each day...on call 24/7... is just another.

Most of our jobs - we can't get up front and try to get folks to feel sorry for us. We got no "congregation" to feel sorry for us.

Buck up pastors. Find some fellow pastor mates to share with to help you cope. No one needs to get isolated. But - quit feeling sorry for yourselves. Twisted Evil
12/1/15 5:56 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
It's is so sad when anyone takes a life. Depression is the devil. If anyone is battling depression, don't be afraid to ask for help. Just do it!! Acts-pert Poster
12/1/15 6:07 pm

Post ....rest assured....he is in the arms of a loving Father caseyleejones
at this time and there is no more pain for him.... Acts-perienced Poster
12/1/15 8:05 pm

Post Cojak

Buck up pastors. Find some fellow pastor mates to share with to help you cope. No one needs to get isolated. But - quit feeling sorry for yourselves. Twisted Evil

There is a lot of truth here with NBF.

As a matter of fact in the OP ministers case it was a mental problem not his pastorate. If he had been a store keeper the same result most likely would have happened. IMO.

I just ran a short search, and I could not find any agreement among the surveys other than the thread among them all about the medical profession:
..... doctors, nurses, and veterinarians had some of the highest suicide rates by occupation in the past 30 years.

It is the mental state of a man/woman that takes their own lives no matter their profession.

BUT I do think the minister who can step away from the ministry for a period, becomes a better minister. For a man without a mental problem taking an extended vacation, solves many a stress problem.

Stress can cause depression, but the manic- guy is not caused by stress.
JMHO
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/2/15 12:48 am

Post Cojak
sorry, I clicked too fast....
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/2/15 12:49 am

Post Well, Tom... Mark Ledbetter
Tom Sterbens wrote:
Mark Ledbetter wrote:
[url] http://www.expastors.com/why-do-so-many-pastors-leave-the-ministry-the-facts-will-shock-you/[/url]

http://maranathalife.com/lifeline/stats.htm

One estimates pastors leave at a rate of 1700/month, the other 1500/month.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/edstetzer/2015/november/despite-wrong-doomsday-stats-pastors-holding-up-just-fine.html

No one knows where the 1500-1700 statistic comes from.

are you suggesting you can't believe everything you read on the internet?
Spirit-Led
(This is how I want to be)
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
12/2/15 10:26 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Cojak wrote:

BUT I do think the minister who can step away from the ministry for a period, becomes a better minister. For a man without a mental problem taking an extended vacation, solves many a stress problem.

Completely agree. This is true for every job that has a lot of mental stress. But not many churches or folks can afford to do so.

So what is the next best thing? Having a pal that understands - to talk it over with! Isolation will kill all of us.
12/2/15 10:40 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic