Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

How many times can a COG Pastor be married and still hold his position?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Re: as of the last general assembly there are no limits Old Time Country Preacher
Robin Williams wrote:
muricewatsonsfriend wrote:
we took the lid off. a man can be married as many times as Solomon, providing he's still the "innocent party."
- Darius

Regarding the item that dealt with divorce and remarriage prior to conversion. That one was interesting.
As the debate moved into the third inning...a rather well known minister came to the mic and asked the following question:

"Mr Moderator, I just have one question: which conversion are we talking about...you know a guy can backslide, then be saved again. So which one are we talking about!"

This is truly a great quandary needing resolve. You know, our Pentecostal Wesleyan-Holiness heritage has amazing up-sides - like choice, free-will and salvation that can be lost easier than a set of car keys. In fact my favorite soteriological worship song is "The Hokey Pokey" you know: (singing)

'You put your right faith in
You put your right faith out
You put right faith in and you shake it all about
You do the Hokey Pokey and turn your faith around
That's what it's all about!'

And so I agree with my brother, we should be extremely cautious when considering those who may exploit our Hokey Pokey as an occasion for hanky panky. However, we must never. . . NEVER I SAY, never surrender our Wesleyan Hokiness Pokiness! After all the only thing more dangerous than the influence of refornication theology is reformation theology! Hold the Wesleyan line I say, hold the line!

Hey, Robin, good to have ya back among the livin. We've missed ya the last few months.

Since this is ya first post an all, an its dealin with the number a spouses a person can have, uhhhh, you aint thinkin bout a new season are ya?
Acts-pert Poster
8/17/15 11:12 pm

Post bonnie knox
Ole Timer, I'm disappointed in ya. Ya had the chance to discuss the theological implications of backslidin an all, an tha only thing you could think of was whuther Robin is thinkin bout another wife.
I think the missus might a addled ya brains a little when she whopped ya upside the head with that cast arn skillet.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/18/15 7:12 am

Post georgiapath
I'm wondering why anyone would want to be married three or four times. I wouldn't want people to think I was so stupid that I couldn't get it right the first time. Laughing Laughing Acts-dicted
8/18/15 12:34 pm

Post Da Sheik
Cojak wrote:
By the way, Yeah, welcome aboard Robin Williams, miracles do happen, I'm a believer.

LOL that's funny Cojak Laughing

The COG seems to have a different set of weights and measures depending on your level of influence and notoriety. I know of many who were denied credentials for things as silly as their spouse having a previous marriage, meanwhile others have married 3 or 4 times and are given chance after chance.

I look at it this way. It's not for me to say how many marriages a pastor can have. Paul's admonition to Timothy was that the overseer should be a "one-woman man" in the Greek (literally faithful to that one woman). After a while there is a law of diminishing returns. If a guy is married five or six times, maybe he is the common denominator and not the "victim".
Acts Enthusiast
8/18/15 3:02 pm

Post Cojak
Da Sheik wrote:

The COG seems to have a different set of weights and measures depending on your level of influence and notoriety. I know of many who were denied credentials for things as silly as their spouse having a previous marriage, meanwhile others have married 3 or 4 times and are given chance after chance.

I look at it this way. It's not for me to say how many marriages a pastor can have. Paul's admonition to Timothy was that the overseer should be a "one-woman man" in the Greek (literally faithful to that one woman). After a while there is a law of diminishing returns. If a guy is married five or six times, maybe he is the common denominator and not the "victim".

It does seem like that on the surface. What it appears to me is, what ever the State overseer says, the generals go along.

I have seen cases where it really did hurt an honest man. But they can't get the all right I guess. I do feel for the guy who has no 'name' or a Rabbi but he is one Good Guy. Confused
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
8/19/15 12:29 am

Post the other fact regarding the pastorate muricewatsonsfriend
is that nowhere in the minutes is it required that a pastor of a COG congregation have credentials at all. i reference the minutes, because the thread is asking a question relative to a COG pastor.

- Darius
Acts-celerater
8/20/15 12:14 pm

Post Link
Da Sheik wrote:
Cojak wrote:
By the way, Yeah, welcome aboard Robin Williams, miracles do happen, I'm a believer.

LOL that's funny Cojak Laughing

Maybe it depends on who is doing the interpreting. Jesus said 'he that marries her that is put away commits adultery.' The person making the decisions may have held to the traditional interpretation. The ones giving out the credentials to the ones who have been married three or four times may have used a more modern hipster approach to the Bible.
8/23/15 10:15 pm

Post bonnie knox
Hipster interpretation? Balderdash. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/23/15 10:24 pm

Post Robin Williams
Cojak wrote:

Why thank you my motorhomey!
Right backatcha - a blessing to my itinerant RV'ing octogenarian:

May your journeys be free from mechanical calamity,
your bowel movements be regular,
and may you stop making morning noises your wife confuses with the coffee maker!

Peace out!
8/24/15 6:50 am

Post bonnie knox
Robin, I'm shaking my head. I have an idea we're in for some fun here on Acts.
However, I must correct you. Our dear friend Cojak is a septuagenarian, not an octogenarian. (Yes, I know, time flies when you're having fun. Or as the frogs say, "Time's fun when you're having flies.")
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/24/15 7:29 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.