Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

CampMeeting Attendance Decline: Solutions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post SouthGeorgiaBoy
DrDuck wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
In most states where I have lived and have attended campmeetings (5) there seems to be the same problems as far as I have been concerned as a local pastor.

1. The apparent felt need by those in charge of the music to play the latest, greatest hits of contemporary praise and worship, typically as loud as they can. This sort of approach only alienates the majority of pastors and older attenders, in my experience, and is definitely not conducive to worship in spirit and in truth. I have been amazed at how responsive the entire crowd has been when one or two of the old redback songs was done during campmeeting. I'm not saying we should do no new songs at all, but there has to be a balance in this. "Things old and new," as Jesus said the wise scribe of the kingdom would bring out. Campmeeting was GREAT when we all knew most of the songs. Now with all these 7/11 songs that some people feel are more spiritual, most of the crowd at campmeeting just loses interest in the singing altogether, unfortunately.

2. The announcements typically are just way too long. Can't we put most of them in the bulletin, or maybe even in an email?

3. The politicking. Not sure what can be done about it, except to just cut it out. But that would involve a RADICAL paradigm shift in our church culture.

Amen!
I drove 2 hours one way yesterday to attend S. GA Camp Meeting. I have come to the point that I endure the music part while looking forward to the preaching. I sat through (I did not count but wish I had) probably 15 repetitions of a song which I actually like. When the Overseer began to manipulate the crowd and it became apparent the preaching would not occur; I slipped out, loaded up on coffee, and made the 2 hour drive home.

And, yes, there were plenty of empty chairs on what is usually the biggest attendance night of the week.

So you went one night out of four and did not attend any of the morning services and you feel qualified to judge the camp meeting? You judge the overseer as manipulating the crowd when you didn't even stay around for the remaining of the service? You are so concerned about not hearing a message that you missed out on the many who were touched by the power of the Spirit. I surely hope you are not a pastor in the state. If so, I also hope that your members are much more supportive of the local church activities and less judgmental in the way you operate the services where you serve.

There were many pastors who were not there this week. That is really disappointing. When they want a move, they call the overseer. When they have problems in their church, they call the overseer. They want the support of the state but do not want to support the state. Sounds pretty hypocritical to me.

I know of one pastor who was not in attendance that if it were not for the support of the state office he would not have what he does today. Makes me shake my head.
Acts Enthusiast
6/7/14 4:03 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
For what it's worth, though I have had the above-listed issues with campmeeting services in the past, I have always done my best to support campmeeting wherever I have lived. I haven't always been able to attend because I have for the most part been bivocational and just couldn't make it sometimes, but I have done my best to support it as much as I could. The problems I listed above were not meant by me as an excuse to not attend, but were sincerely given in the hope that campmeetings might be improved in these areas. i know I am not the only pastor who has felt this way. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/7/14 4:38 pm

Post Simple c6thplayer1
VOLUME HERE

NOT HERE

Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/8/14 3:38 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.