Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Where does Bible say God changed His mind on tithing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Resident Skeptic
John Stevenson wrote:
The word "all" is not in there. The word "and" is. It's like saying, "I'm going to the store "and" buy a gallon of milk.

Again, Jesus said not one jot or tittle until heaven and earth pass away. I've asked this numerous times, just show mw where heaven and earth passed away? Are you saying that we're in a new heaven and new earth?

Also, Jesus told the Pharisees that they ought to pay tithes. He didn't tell them they didn't have to. If you can show me where it says, "Thou Shall Not Pay Tithes"....end of debate.

And God always blesses when you give with the right attitude no matter the amount, it's called the principle of sowing and reaping. So to say that God won't bless is arrogant because I don't think God told you that and the Bible doesn't say that at all. So yes, God will bless you based on the number 10...and 15, 20, 25...you name it, He'll bless if you give with a cheerful heart.

Yes, the pharisees ought to have paid tithes, like all jews who produced produce or livestock grown in the land of Israel. Hmm. Are you a Jew living in the land of Israel before Calvary? Do you grow crops and livestock there? Then he was not speaking to you. There was no other tithe for Jesus to have been referring to, certainly not the mythical tithing of monetary income that you and others imagine exists. The covenant from which that Jewish tithing system sprang and the priesthood which necessitated it are gone. In the first part of Mathew 23 from which you are quoting, Jesus commanded the lepers he healed to show themselves to the priests. That was part of the LAW. If a leper is healed today should he go show himself to a Levitical priest? It's all about context of history and setting, something that a true scholar would understand.
5/29/14 8:48 pm

Post John Stevenson
So using your reasoning the Ten Commandments were given to the Jews not us, so therefore they don't apply to us? No where in the Bible does it say that the Ten Commandments are for us. In fact, the Sermon on the Mount was to the Jews, so that is not for us either. So what parts of the Bible do apply to us?

And to answer your question, it would depend on where the leper was healed. If he was healed in the local church that I attend, I would expect him to stand and testify.

Also you keep going back to the produce thing. It had value!!!!!! That time & culture many people bartered and traded. If you remember you could sell your offering (for money) if you lived a long ways off and bring that to the temple. So the tithe was not just produce or livestock.

What about someone like Luke who was a doctor? How did he pay his tithe if he didn't raise livestock or grow produce? Do you think everyone in Israel during that time was a farmer?
5/29/14 9:47 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
John Stevenson wrote:
So using your reasoning the Ten Commandments were given to the Jews not us, so therefore they don't apply to us? No where in the Bible does it say that the Ten Commandments are for us. In fact, the Sermon on the Mount was to the Jews, so that is not for us either. So what parts of the Bible do apply to us?

And to answer your question, it would depend on where the leper was healed. If he was healed in the local church that I attend, I would expect him to stand and testify.

Also you keep going back to the produce thing. It had value!!!!!! That time & culture many people bartered and traded. If you remember you could sell your offering (for money) if you lived a long ways off and bring that to the temple. So the tithe was not just produce or livestock.

What about someone like Luke who was a doctor? How did he pay his tithe if he didn't raise livestock or grow produce? Do you think everyone in Israel during that time was a farmer?

You obviously don't know the difference between the moral Law and the ceremonial Law. If you had ever read Paul's epistles then you'd know that one of his chiefest concerns was Gentile Christians being lied to about having to keep the ceremonial Law. Tithing was part of that ceremonial Law that the gentile Chrisitians were not called by God to practice. Please do not tell me you don't know this.

And yes people sold their offering for money , those who lived afar off that is. When they got to Jerusalem they used the money to buy another tithe to offer. It was never about money.
5/29/14 9:53 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.