Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Why was there mercy for Nineveh but none for Sodom?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Sodom not destroyed for homosexuality Mark Ledbetter
In his scathing condemnation of Jerusalem's "harlotry" (idolatry and associated practices in pursuit of other gods), Ezekiel compared the City with others.

Ezekiel 16:49-50 describes Sodom's guilt:

Quote:
“Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had arrogance, abundant food and careless ease, but she did not help the poor and needy. “Thus they were haughty and committed abominations before Me. Therefore I removed them when I saw it.

Homosexuality most certainly could have been included in Sodom's sins, but it was not the sole reason for God's judgment.

The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia offers this insight:
Quote:
Sodom’s notoriety derives from its wickedness and the attendant destruction that it suffered. Sodom’s sins were manifold. Along with the other cities it displayed arrogant pride and haughtiness, and lived in prosperous luxury while ignoring the poor and needy (Ezk. 16:46–50). The men of Sodom violated the code of hospitality (Gen. 19:1–11), and they did “abominable things” (Ezk. 16:50).

Sodom’s most notorious sin was its engaging in homosexual acts (Gen. 19:5–8). Jude 7 affirms that Sodom “acted immorally and indulged in unnatural lust.” Several passages in Genesis speak of Sodom’s wickedness and unrighteousness in general terms (13:13; 18:20–33), and later Sodom became a point of comparison for wickedness in Israel (Dt. 32:32; Isa. 1:10; 3:9; Jer. 23:14). Rev. 11:8 likewise uses Sodom as an allegorical sign of great evil.

So, the sins of Sodom were atrocious, and as pointed out, the sin of the Assyrians were just as atrocious.

No conclusions, just food for thought.
Spirit-Led
(This is how I want to be)
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
2/28/14 6:09 pm

Post Bro Bob
Informative post Mark. You are a bright guy. Do you have anything to offer in response to my observation that three times in Romans we are told that those who engage in this sin do so as a result of first rejecting God, and that for THAT reason he gave up on them?

I have stated it over and over and no one has picked up the towel. Not once, three times. Not ambiguous, precisely, unequivocally stated. I am still coming up empty on any other condition of man where such a statement is made.
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
3/1/14 12:42 am

Post John Jett
Sodom and Gomorrah had Lot. He was there, he should have been their preacher. It is likely that he was to some extent, but ultimately he failed and just became part of the culture. A sad commentary that is repeated more often than not.

Last edited by John Jett on 3/3/14 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
3/3/14 3:38 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Bro Bob wrote:
Informative post Mark. You are a bright guy. Do you have anything to offer in response to my observation that three times in Romans we are told that those who engage in this sin do so as a result of first rejecting God, and that for THAT reason he gave up on them?

I have stated it over and over and no one has picked up the towel. Not once, three times. Not ambiguous, precisely, unequivocally stated. I am still coming up empty on any other condition of man where such a statement is made.

All the sins Paul lists in Romans 1:18-32 (and quite obviously, all willful sins of any kind in the Bible) are the result of rejecting what one already knows about God.

Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. 20For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: 21Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Rom 1:19-21

Homosexual practice is certainly included in the list of sins in this chapter, and is against nature, so it seems clearly to be an especially egregious sin, but the fact remains that ALL sin is a rejection of the light of God's moral law written on the conscience of all.

And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; 29Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, 30Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: 32Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them. Rom. 1:28-32
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/3/14 3:48 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.