Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Is Invoking the Lord's Blood for Protection Biblical?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Re: On Pleading the Blood - by Hayford Ventureforth
Tom Sterbens wrote:
Pleading The Blood
By Jack Hayford
Text: Exodus 12:5-14

Pleading the blood of Jesus

When we talk about “pleading” the blood of Jesus, we are not talking about “begging.” “Pleading the blood” should not be considered a desperation exercise; God has not called us to come begging before Him.

Many of us were raised in an environment where we heard, “Father God, we come under the blood of Jesus. Lord; we cover this matter with the blood of Jesus.” For us, even before we understood its power, we believed in the power of the blood because we knew that Jesus is the Son of God, and the Cross was the instrument of global redemption and provided the possibility of breaking all of hell’s evil.

Pleading the blood of Jesus is not a superstitious application of a magical formula of words. A spiritual dynamic is being applied. It’s important that we understand the reason for the words that we use so that they do not become formula, otherwise one of two things will happen:
  1. It becomes a superstitious exercise in which people are depending on the words they use rather than the understanding that gives the words their power; or
  2. Some people will not use words related to the blood of Jesus because they don’t understand the spiritual dynamic, but that leaves them without a resource they need.

The power of the blood of Jesus Christ is that power that is greater than both the energy of our own humanity and that of our Adversary. The power that saves is also the power that releases, delivers, and neutralizes the enterprises of hell and the weaknesses of the flesh. The appropriation of the power of the blood of Jesus in tough situations is intended for every believer in Christ to know, to understand, and to employ.

There are four things that took place by reason of the blood being put on the doorpost and the lintels in ancient Israel. Those four things have direct application to us today:

The appropriateness of 'pleading the blood', in large part, is in how one understands it, as Jack Hayford says in his article. This dialogue is good if it helps clarify the concept. Pleading the blood is good if it helps people understand and apply the power we have in Christ and the significance of the blood He shed for us.
Acts-celerater
6/16/13 10:49 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
If you're asking is the actual physical substance somehow physically sprinkled on us to cleanse us, I can't imagine a much sillier question.

We are truly cleansed of our sins before God by the blood of Jesus Christ when we repent and trust in Him for it.

Wyatt, i'm not asking if any actual physical substance is applied. I'm clarifying what other posters believe on that very point.

The blood of Christ is a reference to the sacrificial death of Christ on Calvary. I am sure the Roman soldiers who whipped him and who nailed his hands and feet to the cross got some of His blood on them in the process, but their sins were not somehow magically forgiven simply because of that accidental contact with the blood of the Lamb. The benefits of His blood are applied to us spiritually (not physically) when we confess our sins; that is, say the same thing as God says about our sins.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/16/13 10:57 pm

Post fortheleastofthese
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

I am sure the Roman soldiers who whipped him and who nailed his hands and feet to the cross got some of His blood on them in the process, but their sins were not somehow magically forgiven

Actually, one of them outright repented! Jesus also requested the Father forgive them...Apparently, the blood of Jesus does wash away our sins! According to these scriptures below...I have NO problem with anyone using the phrase "plead the blood." It's not a magical "spell" type of proclamation...To me it is about what Jesus' blood means and how His sacrifice accomplished what seemed impossible!

Ephesians 2:13
But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near by the blood of Christ.

Hebrews 10:19
Therefore, brothers and sisters, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus,

1 Peter 1:2
who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to be obedient to Jesus Christ and sprinkled with his blood: Grace and peace be yours in abundance.

1 John 1:7
But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.

Revelation 1:5
and from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth. To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood,
Acts Enthusiast
6/17/13 8:58 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
For the soldier who repented, yes, the blood was applied and was efficacious for forgiveness of sins--when he repented. My point was they were not somehow magically cleansed just because some of his blood may have gotten spattered on them as they beat him and nailed him to the tree.

Christ's dying prayer for his executioners and mockers, "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do" beautifully demonstrates how willing and ready He is to forgive, certainly. His own words about "repentance for forgiveness of sins" in Luke 24 as well as the apostolic message of "repent and be baptized for the forgiveness of sins" make clear that actual forgiveness is conditioned upon repentance and faith, and is not somehow an automatic unilateral declaration.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/17/13 9:16 am

Post fortheleastofthese
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

Christ's dying prayer for his executioners and mockers, "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do" beautifully demonstrates how willing and ready He is to forgive, certainly. His own words about "repentance for forgiveness of sins" in Luke 24 as well as the apostolic message of "repent and be baptized for the forgiveness of sins" make clear that actual forgiveness is conditioned upon repentance and faith, and is not somehow an automatic unilateral declaration.

So are you saying that if God the Son wants someone's sins to be forgiven, that His hands are tied because of man's ignorance?

Don't get me wrong, I still believe 100% that there are consequences for sin (namely, separation from God!) and that we must all confess that Christ is Lord to be saved. By the same token, I also believe that God has the desire and ability to snatch anyone up at anytime and give them a revelation of Jesus Christ. (Possibly even after they have flat lined!) This is not to say that I believe everyone including the most wicked will have a postmortem revelation of Jesus and be saved, but I do believe it is possible for some according to both scriptural evidence and testimonies from some unbelievers who had near death experiences and are now evangelists.

But I do want to clarify that nobody confuse my belief with universalism...That is, that every single individual gets a free pass and that there is no separation from God as a result of sin.

There is a dichotomy that I've been trying to reconcile for years in my head...

1) Calvinism claims that humans are just pawns on God's chess board. My problem with this is that there can be no such thing as true faith (or true grace for that matter) if each person has already been set aside for salvation. Why do we even need the blood of Jesus?

2) Arminianism claims that the ball is in our court while God sits helplessly on the sidelines hoping we don't screw things up!

I have come to the conclusion that there might be some truth to both of those doctrines, but if they stand alone, they make God out to be a mad scientist! I believe we all have a free will and that we can decide whether or not to accept Jesus Christ, but I don't believe God sits on the sidelines giving us all the power either. I believe He has the ultimate authority and chooses to intervene on behalf of His elect. In other words, when His blood was shed for the remission of many sins, He is going to see to it that those sins are forgiven no matter how much we try to get in the way. If He has determined to not let a sinner go to hell who grew up in the mountains of Afghanistan, who's to say He will not give that person a revelation of Jesus Christ? (Even after death if He chooses?)

Food for thought...I know it might sound confusing and I don't blame anyone who chooses not to go down the rabbit hole with me:)
Acts Enthusiast
6/17/13 10:04 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
I don't believe God's hands are tied, no. I do believe repentance is necessary for forgiveness of sins, since Scripture plainly states that in many places in the Old and New Testaments. Both Calvinists and Arminians believe repentance, faith and perseverance are conditions of salvation, though of course Calvinists say God causes the elect to repent, believe and persevere. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/17/13 10:12 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
I find the New Testament reveals that all who diligently seek Him will find Him, that as Peter says in Acts 10:34, "in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him." I don't believe that any who truly seek Him will fail to find Him in this life. Those who wish not to retain the knowledge of God in their minds are given by God over to a reprobate/depraved mind Even though they know the judgment of God, they willfully persist in their rebellion, and thus are damned, as Romans 1 says. God works in the hearts of all, not wishing that any should perish. His prevenient grace draws all and convicts all, but does not force any to repent and believe.

As the Apostle Paul proclaimed in his sermon on Mars Hill:

And He made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined their appointed times and the boundaries of their habitation, that they would seek God, if perhaps they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us; for in Him we live and move and exist, as even some of your own poets have said, 'For we also are His children.' Being then the children of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and thought of man. Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all people everywhere should repent, because He has fixed a day in which He will judge the world in righteousness through a Man whom He has appointed, having furnished proof to all men by raising Him from the dead." (Acts 17:26-31 NASB)
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/17/13 10:22 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.