Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Commentary: Kevin Wallace- Who will we be?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post J David Smith
Bro. Woodard,

Thank you! Appreciate and agree with much of what you say. I think we are communicating much of the same things.

Travis,

Thank you for your comments. I think we are also much closer in theory that we realize. I appreciate your patience and facilitation of ecumenical dialogue on issues like this one. It is proof that we can have a healthy discussion among brothers without resorting to divisive tactics.

I am taking the next few days to spend with my family. I have made a commitment to my wife that I will "let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me" over the next few days. Very Happy

I feel like I have already made too many posts on this topic, but I hope that others will continue to be engaged in the discussion. I look forward to hearing the input of others.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Friendly Face
12/21/12 11:40 pm

Post bonnie knox
Quote:
I feel like I have already made too many posts on this topic, but I hope that others will continue to be engaged in the discussion. I look forward to hearing the input of others.

I have enjoyed reading your posts on this topic, and, for what it's worth, I don't think you have made too many.

I hope you have a merry Christmas, too!
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/21/12 11:51 pm

Post Travis Johnson
If we want our people to disengage from our tenants...our core beliefs, make our tenants above discussion. We've done that. If we further circle the wagons or raise the draw bridge and protect our castle, then we'll reap the rewards of that decision.

There's a better path to engagement and ownership.
Acts-dicted
12/22/12 12:57 am

Post KevinWallace
1. I certainly understand the value of clarity and caution when speaking about such sensitive subjects. I'm not certain that I've been on the receiving end of whisper campaigns, but I have received a few jabs and jeers as I have tried to do what God has called me to do. To be sure these moments are no fun for those who receive them. Far be it from me to initiate them. What I have voiced on this board I have voiced cautiously and respectfully in person with those who I disagree. When I was told God should be referred to as a She during my Lee experience I tactfully retorted that I thought that was the most absurd and foolish thing I'd ever heard. It was heated and intense. I was not impressed or enlightened with such preposterous assertions. And the notion that we should create a "challenging" environment for our future leaders/ ministers is an objective opinion. If we mean challenging in the sense of pushing, coaching, mentoring, molding, stretching our thought process and impacting the way we think... Then I think that is most necessary. If we mean challenging in the sense of a self absorbed professor, infatuated with paper and ink hanging on his wall, standing behind a lecturn and confusing, demeaning, and perpetuating a line of thought that isn't conducive or harmonious with the demonination paying his/ her salary, then I will pass on that type of challenging. It is counterintuitive and unhealthy. The greatest season of learning in my life occurred while I was at Lee. Men like Dr. Bruce Tucker, Dr. Ben Perez and especially Dr. Bill Effler, Dr. Fred Garmon, made an indelible imprint on my life for which I will always be grateful. I suppose the Lee experience is contingent upon the professors one would have. I simply hope the quality control process would be efficient and forthright enough to correct the disharmony that might occur when teachers and or professors are singing in a different key. (That is assuming there are or may futuristically be those professors). I maintain the position that Lee University is a second to none, first class, flagship university. But if it is going To be the preparation ground for our future ministers, then we should continually inspect our training processes to be sure that we are Sending out well rounded, educated leaders that are full of fire of God and know how to pray. If that can't be achieved while being a liberal arts university, then I would be the first to say we need a Bible training school.

As far as funding that... You will need to see moody. He has the money.

Furthermore we both agree that the DOF is not inspired. It doesn't have to be inspired to be accurate. It is something that as a body we have agreed to be true and in harmony with scripture. Should we discuss it? Absolutely! Should we challenge it to insure that it harmonizes with Scripture? Absolutely! But after nearly 100 years of existence, and thousands of men who are holier and far wiser than I observing its contents, What meaningful change could I contribute to that document. In my opinion the DOF doesnt need to change because the Document that it sprang from (the Bible) has never changed. I didn't join the COG to fix it. I joined it because it is a movement that resonates with my understanding of scripture and the desire I have to evangelize lost and hurting humanity.

Finally, I couldn't agree more that we need mentors in a real and critical way. I feel misunderstood when I preach that in certain places. We really have a poor concept of legacy. I pray God would help us learn how to pass the baton rather than pass on with it in our hands. Many young men and women are hungry for Mentorship and formation.

Last edited by KevinWallace on 12/22/12 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Friendly Face
12/22/12 12:04 pm

Post R. Keith Whitt
J. David Smith:

Quote:
As one individual pointed out to me in a private conversation, there is not a large pool of Church of God and Pentecostal educators available. That could be our greatest crisis, and a subject for another discussion.

I don't want to sidetrack the discussion, but that is not a completely defensible statement. In the name of diversity, far too many of our COG credentialed, educated, and highly qualified individuals have been denied employment to bring in individuals from outside the denomination. Consequently, they've left the COG and gone to other organizations where they are celebrated and having a tremendous influence (just take a look at the faculty list at Southeastern University).

I know of one individual who interviewed for a position at one of our educational institutions and was passed over. When he asked why, he was callously told they knew he wasn't going anywhere and "will be there when we need you." Further, they thought it was more important to bring in someone from outside the denomination to bring diversity to the faculty. The individual passed over is still credentialed with the COG (I think), but is no longer interested in teaching at one of our institutions.

When we bring in people who are not passionate about who we are, we can't be surprised when the passion is absent.

Just my O,
Keith
12/22/12 4:54 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.