Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Overeating, Alcohol, & Holiness
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post bonnie knox
Tom Sterbens wrote:
bonnie knox wrote:
Question Question Question Question

Fat is good. Fatness breaks the yoke. The yoke = oppression.

Tom Sterbens wrote:
Travis Johnson wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
While I hear what you're saying, Travis, I really don't think we should be calling things sin that the Bible nowhere says are sin (like being fat or drinking without getting drunk).

I completely agree.

Quite the opposite:
Isaiah 10:27 (NASB95)
"So it will be in that day, that his burden will be removed from your shoulders and his yoke from your neck, and the yoke will be broken because of fatness."

It was a joke...

Well I wasn't sure. The Knox Bible interprets the verse this way:

Isaias 10:27

Knox Bible (KNOX)

27 And with that, thy shoulder will be eased of the burden, the yoke will fall from thy neck, yoke that has gone rotten for want of oil.[a]

Footnotes:a.Isaias 10:27 Literally, ‘from the face of oil’. If the text is sound, it seems necessary to interpret the phrase here as meaning ‘away from’, ‘deprived of’ oil, not in its usual sense, ‘as the result of’.

But as noted in Barnes' commentary, "In the interpretation of these words, expositors have greatly differed," and "Kimchi supposes, that the figure is derived from the effect of oil on wood in destroying its consistency, and loosening its fibres; and that the expression means, that the yoke would be broken or dissolved as if it were penetrated with oil." The commentary concludes, "I confess that none of these explanations seem to me to be satisfactory, and that I do not know what is the meaning of the expression. "
I thought that was a real jewel.

Last edited by bonnie knox on 10/19/12 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/19/12 7:50 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
chainrattler wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Well I am also asking how do we know a person is guilty of gluttony? Just because they're overweight? There are several factors which could contribute to someone being overweight. Also, gluttony in the Roman culture involved gorging oneself until one could not eat another bite, throwing up, and then gorging oneself again and again.

In this country it not just the amount of food that we eat (gluttony is too high an amount of food), it is the type of food that we eat that has a significantly high impact on our weight.

There is a documentary on Netflix call "Forks Over Knives" that gives some startling information about the way our foods are processed and what is made more readily made available at a cheaper price, all for the sake of profit.

The foods that are actually good for us really expensive, relatively speaking, and more so if you have a family with several mouths to feed. We aren't all fat because we eat too much, but because even when we eat less the quality of what we are eating is terribly poor for our overall health.

I agree eating healthy is far more expensive. Through diet and exercise several years ago, I lost 60 pounds and kept it off for over five years. It is just too easy and cheap to eat fattening food in our country. I also do know that individual metabolism plays a significant role. Without meaning to do anything but illustrate the point, in my younger days I fasted so often that it became typical for me to fast three or four days on only water without losing a single pound.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/19/12 8:41 pm

Post bonnie knox
Dry beans & cabbage. Cheap and healthy. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/19/12 9:03 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
I think it's interesting that no one has brought up the fact WHY we eat too much sometimes. I mean, aside from the fact that it tastes good, and we want it. A lot of people (myself included) are stress eaters. When we get under stress, we reach for the chips or cookies or pizza or... Isn't it just as wrong that instead of turning to the Lord in our distress, we pick up a bag of chips to fill an empty place in us? And we've been doing it so long we sometimes don't even consciously realize we're doing it. I traveled with my husband for several years, and I've always joked that during that time, "Food became my friend, and then it became my enemy." (Because I started gaining weight.)

We also tend to eat when we are bored. How dumb is that?

I don't think it's wrong to eat food because we want it and it tastes good (in moderation.) Most of the feasts in the Bible included food as part of the celebration. But we have to learn to eat in moderation. THAT is the hard part! We can abstain from alcohol, but we can't abstain completely from food. We have to eat to live.

I desperately need to lose weight, but I am struggling because my exercise choices are very limited due to arthritis and other physical problems. And my diet choices are also limited because of um...stomach issues. Let's just that a lot of veggies don't get along with my system, even though I really enjoy veggies. I'm not saying I make all the right choices when it comes to food, but it just gets so discouraging.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/20/12 12:18 am

Post Travis Johnson
I ate grilled chicken breast and baked sweet potatoes for about a year because I was allergic to something and my Doctor and I couldn't figure out what it was.

That year was challenging. Eating was a pain. It wasn't fun. It was a chore. You really have to eat a lot of grilled chicken to hit your needed calorie intake...a ton. It was one of the best things that I could've gone through.

I stopped viewing food primarily as a hobby. I started viewing it as a necessary gig. For me, that shift in perspective was really helpful.

Carolyn, you're right about the difference between food and alcohol. You can't abstain from food....makes things a lot more complicated and enticing.
Acts-dicted
10/20/12 12:27 am

Post Eddie Robbins
In my book, I have a chapter called "The Food Culture." It is about these cultures that we are a part of that doesn't encourage healthy eating habits. The church culture has certainly been tough on us. Everything we do for fellowship involves food. I don't have to explain it, you all know it well. That is a culture that needs changing.

As far as physical activity, if you are able, find something that is fun. I like to run. Travis likes to bike. It doesn't matter what you do, but find something fun and DO IT!
Acts-pert Poster
10/20/12 5:33 am

Post Da Sheik
Eddie Robbins wrote:
In my book, I have a chapter called "The Food Culture." It is about these cultures that we are a part of that doesn't encourage healthy eating habits. The church culture has certainly been tough on us. Everything we do for fellowship involves food. I don't have to explain it, you all know it well. That is a culture that needs changing.

I don't dispute what you are saying at all. Let me add something here though. Perhaps our prohibitions against things that scripture doesn't condemn (wine, tobacco, etc.) have led to these excesses in the area of food. Asceticism is just as extreme and unhealthy as gluttony. The Apostles (particularly Paul) had more problems with the "touch not, taste not, handle not" crowd than any other group.

Just "food" for thought.
Acts Enthusiast
10/20/12 8:58 am

Post Carolyn Smith
I do water therapy twice a week, which I really enjoy. But it's an arthritis class and is a very moderate class. But at least I am moving and doing something good for my body. Singing is probably the only vigorous exercise I get! LOL
10/20/12 8:58 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
My Dad used to say that when he was growing up in the A/G during the 1940s, eating was basically the only thing they could do that wasn't a sin. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/20/12 9:02 am

Post Carolyn Smith
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
My Dad used to say that when he was growing up in the A/G during the 1940s, eating was basically the only thing they could do that wasn't a sin.

Really!
10/20/12 10:16 am

Post Eddie Robbins
As this thread is winding down, it is my passion for those I love, you all, will come to understand that full holiness (maybe that's a new term) cannot be reached without taking care of this temple that God has loaned us for such a short time. There is a misconception that I call it sin. It doesn't matter if I do or not. Sin is sin and that is between you and God. So, I am not condemning people for not taking care of their bodies. I didn't for 35 years. But, if our goal is to strive for holiness, we have to take into consideration what we eat and how we treat our bodies. Please, consider this in your life if you haven't already. You can do this. I will help all I can if you will allow me. Blessings to each one of you! Acts-pert Poster
10/24/12 5:45 am

Post JLA777
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Thanks, Travis. I really appreciate that!

Forget all of the "the Bible doesn't say_____."

If God loaned you a house for a while, would you trash the place or take great care of it in honor of Him? Our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit. They are to be treated like it. That is what I had to come to grips with after abusing my body for 35 years. I asked forgiveness and turned my life around. I am so thankful I did. I want YOU to do the same. Not because I think you are sinful but because it is God's best for your life.

Amen Eddie, amen!

And without a doubt, you an inspiration to all of us! Smile

I remember some 15 year ago, I brought a friend of mine to church, an unsaved girl, and a few days later she came over to my house and we were talking about church, and she said "I have a question for you, why are there so many fat people in your church". She was a good woman, good mother, good wife, but unsaved and her question was a sincere one.

Now that is sad!! ~ (Of course, we are all much more health conscious today)

I could easily say, 'that's was just her unsaved way of thinking, but in reality, it shows one aspect of the visible witness we are giving to others. The number of heavy people there had distracted her...

I personally grew up in the karate world so physical activity was always an important part of our lives.

Today, when I go through seasons where I am eating more than I should and carrying extra weight on me, it effects everything about me; It makes me feel sluggish, and I don't think, look or feel my best, at all!

Now I really don't think it's a sin to occasionally overindulge and there are festive times where it almost seems appropriate, like when the extra special Christmas cookies are made, etc..

I'm not quite sure why gluttony is not taken more seriously.

It's not a healthy lifestyle, it effects everybody around us, and is a horrible testimony.

May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen! Philemon 1:25

https://www.facebook.com/joanylouise
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
10/24/12 8:47 am

Post Cojak
Carolyn Smith wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
My Dad used to say that when he was growing up in the A/G during the 1940s, eating was basically the only thing they could do that wasn't a sin.

Really!

It was the same in the COG, we even produced a bunch of it to sell and pay off the church mortgage. Laughing Laughing Laughing
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/24/12 8:30 pm

Post Sinful eating (L) Nature Boy Florida
At least it has truth in advertising....

http://www.simplysinfulcupcakes.net/aboutUs.html
10/27/12 9:29 am

Post Re: Sinful eating (L) bonnie knox
Nature Boy Florida wrote:

It always bugged me for people to call desserts decadent.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/27/12 1:39 pm

Post Re: Sinful eating (L) Cojak
bonnie knox wrote:
Nature Boy Florida wrote:

It always bugged me for people to call desserts decadent.

It didn't bug me until you mentioned it! But now that you mentioned it...... Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/27/12 5:03 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Overeating gets a pass when it comes to full Holiness. Why is that? We see a man smoking a cigar and consider him a sinner. We see Christians at the buffet getting an extra dessert and laugh it off. We have to change this culture. Acts-pert Poster
10/28/12 3:56 pm

Post Change Agent
I lost around 30 pounds and no one said anything about me needing to lose weight. After losing the 30 pounds overweight people that noticed the weight loss would say "you are looking sick", "are you well?". MY BMI after the weight loss was still at the top end of the scale.

Our culture does not want to discourage being overweight but will definitely notice and give discouraging comments when you get on the road to good health.
Acts Enthusiast
10/29/12 10:40 am

Post Eddie Robbins
I was asked many times if I was sick. I always answered..."sick of being unhealthy." Acts-pert Poster
10/29/12 5:12 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.