Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

DECLINE? PART II: The First COG Man To Warn Us

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post DECLINE? PART II: The First COG Man To Warn Us doyle
COG Face-To-Face With Decline
Continued from Part I

THE FIRST PERSON to sound the alarm that our Church of God “Movement” was rapidly slowing, was a soft-spoken Lee College professor named Winston Elliott. In the 1970's, Professor Elliott had been doing research on the rise and decline of denominations in America and noticed an amazing trend.

When the time came in a church organization that MEMBERSHIP exceeded ATTENDANCE, it meant decline had set in. According to his research, NO ORGANIZATION where membership had exceeded attendance, had ever pulled out of that downward spiral. It had happened to the Presbyterians, Methodists, Episcopalians, Lutherans and almost all of what was known then as “Mainline” Protestant organizations.

Professor Elliot and I had met at Lee College where I was a student and where I also worked in the Lee Public Relations Department writing news articles about the school. Later, after I had been invited to begin writing at COG Headquarters, he and I met one day on the Lee Campus. If I remember correctly it was at the Lee Canteen where I sometimes went for lunch. He began to share what his research had revealed.

“Have you done similar research on the Church of God?” I asked.

A brief flash of sadness came over his face. He hung his head ever so slightly and said quietly, “Doyle, it doesn't look good but we still may have a little time.”

Instinctively, I knew immediately there before me was an incredibly important COG story if it could be published without having my ministry credentials revoked. Surely there would be tremendous pressure not to publish such a story because year-after-year, COG folk were being told the COG was the “Fastest-growing church in America.”

Now listen, almost all of us including our Church officials believed that. Why wouldn't we? Since 1903, the COG had continuously shown increase-after-increase. It wasn't a case of officials trying to mislead our people. Until Professor Elliott's research, neither they nor we were aware that when membership exceeded attendance, it was a massive sign of decline setting in.

Also, in the COG at the time, reported attendance was still more than membership. And there was also the fact that when compared to other denominations then, there were indeed years when the COG was growing faster than others. Another reason our growth was showing so strongly, was because the bottom had dropped out for the other organizations where membership had exceeded attendance.

THE MARGIN

Church of God growth had been GOOD NEWS for at least 70 years but Professor Elliott's research in the mid-1970's was showing that the margin between attendance and membership in the Church of God was rapidly closing too just like groups that were already in decline. Winston Elliott estimated that if the trend continued, the attendance vs membership statistics for the COG would meet and cross in the late 1970's. He wasn't sure of the exact date.

“Have you shared your research with our Church leaders?” I asked.

“I shared it with Brother Hughes,” he said.

“What was his reaction?” I inquired.

“He was shocked by it” the professor said. When I told him, he sat straight up in his chair and exclaimed 'Oh no!' “

A FEW DAYS LATER, I was in my office at COG Headquarters when the phone rang. The message was from Brother Hughes' office on the fourth-floor. He wanted to see me right away. At the time, I was working as “Communications Coordinator” under the guidance of Public Relations Director Lewis Willis. I was also involved in Public Relations work for the COG radio program Forward In Faith and did some special-project writing for the World Missions Department.

Months before, I had pitched Carl Richardson, Director of Forward In Faith, the COG radio ministry, on us combining efforts to publish a newspaper that carried news about the Church of God. Other than the "Evangel," neither of us knew of it being done before. At times, each Headquarters Department sent out small publications which mostly promoted what was going on in that particular Department, but nobody was actively covering denominational news.

Carl and I felt one of the best ways to promote Forward In Faith to Church of God ministers, was to provide them with positive news about the Church and it's people that they didn't get anywhere else. Included among those articles would of course be strategically located news about Forward In Faith.

We'd provide the ministers with news in which they were interested which opened the door to promote news about Forward In Faith. That kind of publication had never been done before in the COG but Carl, with his incredible innovative thinking and courage, after several weeks of consideration and with his influence and funding, we launched “Vision” newspaper.

The "Evangel" was primarily publishing theme articles and doing an excellent job of it. Magazine production at the time was a very complicated, expensive and a molasses-slow process. It still is. As a result, it was taking months for what small news items that did appear in the magazine, to be published and mailed. In the news business, a week is history but two months is an archeological expedition.

WHEN COG MINISTERS around the country received their first copy of “Vision” in the mail, at first glance, some had thought it was a promotion from their local eye doctor Smile. However, they were thrilled instead to see a paper filled to the brim with uplifting photos and news articles about the Church of God. One issue included 271 photos of Church of God activities in the U.S. and around the world.

As far as we knew, up to that time, that was the largest publication and the most photos in a publication ever done in the history of the Church of God. It wasn't a case that we were trying to break a record but there were so many fantastic COG stories to be told, the size of our “Vision” just boomed. Today there are even more great stories of accomplishment to tell which I think would absolutely inspire our people again about our Church.

THEN AND NOW

Before speaking to Carl about us working together to do a newspaper, I had first sought advice from Dr. Ray Hughes. My feeling then as now was, what more important news could any person publish than what God is doing? And my opinion then and now is, what God is doing through Church of God people and the many ministries in which they are involved, is phenomenal.

When I spoke with Dr. Hughes about publishing a newspaper, he had stated, “You can write and publish "about" the Church of God or even write "to" the Church of God but cannot assume to speak "for" the Church since that is reserved for official statements from leadership.”

“Is there anything that would hinder me from publishing a newspaper and still keep my credentials with the Church?” I asked.

To my surprise, he replied, “The 'Assembly Minutes' declare that one of the duties of our ministers is 'To publish' “ he explained. “So yes, it is within your rights as a minister to publish a newspaper containing news about the Church of God.”

Those who knew Brother Hughes will understand why I used the term “He had stated” instead of “He had said.” For the many thousands of us who respected him, when words came out of his mouth, we didn't view it as just him saying something. We viewed it as a statement, a declaration to remember Smile.

Before starting to cover Church of God news, I had also sought the advice of Floyd Timmerman who had been my Georgia State Overseer and someone for whom I had tremendous respect. As previously stated I spoke with Carl Richardson who I feel is one of the most dynamic men I have ever met in my life and also Dr. Charles Conn who in my opinion was the greatest writer in the history of the Church of God.

Even now as I at times read some of Dr. Conn's books, I am in awe at his sentence structure and his incredible ability to bring things to life on paper. When I later learned of some of the difficulties under which he had grown up, it is astounding what that great man accomplished in life.

IT'S REALIZED that because some Church officials, including Dr. Hughes, disagreed with articles I was to write 20 years later when a General Overseer was removed from office, some feel that my publishing of news about the COG was intended to be a rebellious act, the result of a rebellious spirit.

Truth is, as a COG minister and writer, I always attempted to work within our system. I believe in the Biblical admonition “Obey them that have the rule (Or supervision) over you.” I never once attempted to remove myself from supervision.

Never once in 40 years of covering Church of God news, have I ever had an argument with a Church official, not even a raised voice on my part. Never once have I ever spoken in a disrespectful manner to a church official. I have fond memories and deep respect for those who have been in leadership of our Church. I still remember them all with love and respect though that doesn't mean they always agreed with what I've written.

WRITING FOR “THE GENERAL”

When Winston Elliott was doing some of his church growth research, Ray Hughes was then serving as General Overseer. I'm not completely sure but it may have been that when Dr. Hughes became General Overseer, he commissioned Professor Elliott to do the church growth research. Even if that was the case, he was stunned by what the research showed.

When the secretary showed me into the General Overseer's office, Dr. Hughes was leaned far back in his high-backed office chair looking at some letter-sized pages. His legs were crossed and his feet were propped up on his desk. He was sitting in front of a large window which looked out on Keith Street. He was as comfortable sitting there at the very tip-top of one of America's strongest Pentecostal groups, as most of us would be having coffee at our Mom's house.

“Sit down Doyle. I want you to help me with something.”

Sliding his feet off the desk, he sat up in his chair and rolled up close to his desk. He placed the pages he had been looking at on the desk near me and stated, “Winston Elliott over at Lee has been doing some church growth research and we need to take some action on what he's found. I've set aside $100,000 to launch what we will be calling the “Double In A Decade” program.

“WE'VE GOT TO HELP our churches increase attendance” he continued. “I want you to write that and publish it in the newspaper you and Carl are working together on.” He pointed to a copy of “Vision” on his desk.

“This is something we need to get on right away. Here's what I want included in the article. Take some notes.”

When some accuse me of writing out of a spirit of rebellion, they may not have known that not only did I seek the advice of top leaders in the COG at the time, but I received permission from one of the most powerful men in the history of our church; not only permission but a direct command from the General Overseer to publish and include material he furnished.

WITHIN A WEEK, which was light-speed in those days for a Church of God publication, “Vision” was mailed out with the heading that the General Overseer was launching a new program to increase church attendance; Double In A Decade. Though I'm not sure how effective the program turned out to be, in my opinion there was no way it could fail.

Regardless the statistical numbers generated from the effort, the success was that a Church leader had been shown the need, took action on it as quickly as possible, informed the ministers around the nation about the need and got most of the Church involved. Anytime we attempt great things for God, such efforts made with pure motives, is a success.

There may have been some since then, but I'm not aware of any more combined church growth effort than that since then in the Church of God.

Footnote: A few days after that issue of “Vision” had been mailed, I received a phone call from First Assistant General Overseer J. Frank Culpepper who I believe was one of the greatest men who ever served in our Church. Brother Culpepper invited me to breakfast the next morning at the Chalet Restaurant.

At breakfast after warm personal greetings, Brother Culpepper placed a copy of “Vision” on the table. He gently pushed it toward me where it was easy to see the heading about the new and bold “Double In A Decade” effort which was being funded with $100,00, a substantial sum in those days.

“T. L. and I ( T. L. Lowery was also an Assistant General Overseer ) were in Texas,” he began. “We were there handling a church situation and saw your paper on the Pastor's desk. I turned to T. L. and said 'Lookie here T. L. at what the Church of God is doing.' “

According to Brother Culpepper, that was the first time he or Brother Lowery had heard of there being a “Double In A Decade” program or that $100,000 had been set aside to fund it.

“Would you mind telling me where you got the information for this story?” he kindly inquired.

“Brother Hughes called me up to his office, gave me the story and asked that it go in the newspaper right away” I responded.

Brother Culpepper spoke quietly with just a ting of sarcasm and said, “Doyle, the next time the Church of God is doing something great like this, would you please contact T. L. and me so we'll know what's going on too?”

I started to reply but my voice kind of croaked instead of being steady like it normally is. I couldn't fathom that they had not been told of the new endeavor.

“I wasn't aware...” I started to say.”

“I know you weren't” he replied as he gently smiled; a slight glimmer in his eye as he watched me squirm.

“You did a good job on the article” he continued, “But T. L. and I had not been informed about this new church growth program.”

Even so, both he and Brother Lowery backed the program fully and worked tirelessly in doing all possible to help the effort be successful. Neither man allowed their disappointment at being snubbed to keep them from doing all possible to help move the Church forward. I think that showed incredible character. No wonder they had been elected to serve in top positions in our Church.

ONE OF THE very last photos I ever took of J. Frank Culpepper, was at a Church Growth Conference in Arkansas. Behind him stretched a large banner which read “Making Disciples,” which is what his life and ministry was all about. Years later in 1998, when I was brought before a church trial for publishing some articles concerning the removal of the General Overseer at that time; articles with which some who had worked to remove him disagreed, it was an honor to present that photo of Brother J. Frank Culpepper to his son Raymond.

That was 14 years ago and though I haven't spoken to Raymond about it since then, knowing how deeply he loved his dad, I can almost guarantee he still has that photo.

Coming in PART III, Internal documents from Church of God Headquarters tells the story of DECLINE AT THE DOOR.

Last edited by doyle on 7/24/12 10:47 am; edited 4 times in total
Acts-celerate Owner
7/20/12 3:06 am

Post COG Attendence decline and mobile populations Link
I was just thinking of some of the posts on COG decline, and I wonder how much the fact that the population is so mobile now could attribute to it. Nowadays, it is common to move for a better job or various other reasons. If someone goes to a COG in one city, even if there is a COG in another city, will he go there?

Maybe in the old days, there was a reason to switch to another COG. Way back when, COG people thought the COG was the real church of God. I suppose after that changed, doctrinally, the attitude still remained. But now, a few enthusiasts think that way. (You can find enthusiasts like this in other denominations.) But a lot of folks that go to COGs might want to go to any kind of Pentecostal church when they move.

And if a church grows to a certain size, the larger it grows, the less incentive the church has to remain COG. If the church wants to own a building, and pour more and more money into it, does it make sense to do that if your congregation doesn't own the title? It probably won't happen, but what if the denomination wanted to move a pastor out of a church he grew up to be really large somehow, or wanted to make the arrangements for a replacement after he died? Wouldn't he rather have some influence over that? There are incentives not to stay in the COG when a church gets rather large. Of course, there are some big churches, too, so it doesn't drive them all out.

Does success have to be measured in denominational growth. If, hypothetically, a denomination trained church planters and pastors that ministered in other denominations or independent churches, and the kingdom grew, would that be a sign of 'decline' or a lack of success from a kingdom perspective?
7/20/12 5:50 am

Post Cojak
I am enjoying the read, not happy with what is happening all over, but this is good reporting, In my opinion.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
7/20/12 10:38 pm

Post Bro Bob
Perhaps I am misreading between the lines, but I get the impression that Bro Hughes was personally none too happy that you wanted to publish your paper.

IF that is the case, I find it admirable that he would tell you that the MINUTES allowed it, and basically affirm that settled it as far as he was concerned.

The MINUTES, of course, don't cover everything. There sure is a lot of wiggle room. But it would certainly be refreshing if that standard was still common instead of rare in CoG leadership.

I have a question about the statistical thing:

I wonder if we were more honest about our membership number, if the statistical anomaly Bro Elliot found would even exist?

New people start coming. They join the church. They are added to the roll. They disappear.

If we don't get a transfer request, or if we aren't informed of their death, (and sometimes even that won't do it) they stay on the rolls in many many cases. The MINUTES calls it the duty of the clerk/treasurer to keep an accurate record of the names and addresses of every church member. If one moves, they are to send that information in with his monthly report.

Do you reckon there is a church someplace out in the boondocks that does this?

There are pastors reading this right now that have tried to correct their membership lists (which isn't their duty, but the clerk's) only to be instructed to stop it.

This is my question, If we know it is a fake number, does the statistical anomaly go out the window?
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
7/23/12 10:11 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.