Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Have an opinion on Affiliate Churches?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Re: I think the main issue will be money Jamie Noel
bradfreeman wrote:
Randy Johnson wrote:
Right now, a COG church pays TOT and pastors tithe to their churches, correct?

If we have affiliate churches, will they required to pay TOT to be affiliated with the COG? If so, that might be an issue with churches that are now independent. Would they want to pay TOT simply to affiliated with the COG? Maybe so, maybe not.

A/G sovereign churches are encouraged, but not required, to give to General Headquarters. World Missions is a separate department itself and most missionaries itinerate in several states to raise their own monthly support, plus a fund to launch their missions work.

I don't think current COG churches should be allowed to switch to affiliate status. It would be better to simply change our structure and "get out of the real estate business" as someone aptly put it in another thread.

Finally, the issue that will decide this measure is on the table. TOT! I'm sad to say that cash will drive the fate of this issue from all sides. Independent churches will not want to pay the TOT. If they are willing to pay the TOT, they will likely join the COG outright. Yes, who owns and controls the property is another hurdle.

If the COG creates this hybrid, some (probably many) current churches would likely want to switch to this status if it would lift the burden of the TOT off of them. I can't see the COG creating this option without getting some cash (TOT) for it despite all the good that would come from a closer relationship with other churches. I wish I could.

Affiliation would be a beautiful way to connect the body of Christ. Right now, we place several unbiblical requirements on members and churches. I can't see us not requiring these affiliate churches to swallow ALL of our doctrine (even the non-core elements) especially since many don't even want our preachers speaking at these churches and since our policy is to pull the papers of any preachers who attend or begin to pastor these fellowships. Many in the organization view the COG as "the super church" and feel other doctrinal positions are deficient or inferior. I can't see us "affiliating" with or "accepting" them without total doctrinal agreement.

You hit the nail on the head here! That is the biggest issue for us right now. The only reason being the following. We are already taking a TOT from our finances. This money is split and goes to local outreach/assistance and foreign missions. We support local food banks and the needy. We support a tremendous mission in the Philippines and have just started to support a couple planting house churches in France.

IF we were to join the COG, we could not continue this support. We would have to either stop the support or fire an employee (which we are shorthanded already). So, you are so right that the issue of the TOT will definitely be the deciding factor.
2/16/12 8:53 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.