Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Breastfeeding in church - yes or No (L)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post JLA777
Paige Hamby wrote:
While we're on the subject, I thought I would check in to report that I nursed in church tonight.

Here's how it went down: took a warmed bottle with us so Grant would fall asleep during service. Surprise, surprise, he wanted nothing to do with it. Started getting fussy when the preaching started and to be honest, I'm tired of having to miss the word every single week because of quickly racing my fussy baby out of the sanctuary.

It's a huge church that is dimly lit, so I took him to the very back where there are chairs lined against the wall without any lights shining on them. I watched at least 5 other moms have to leave with their fussy infant. Troy eventually came back to join me. About that time, a mom who joined me whipped out her nursing shawl to breastfeed and I was like, oh yes, it's on. Covered myself with a blanket, latched Grant on and he was asleep in 2 minutes. Not a single person had any idea 2 of us moms were discreetly sitting in the back feeding our babies. We didn't have to leave the service. We distracted no one. No one saw even a flash of our boobs. But we got the job done - fed our babies, put them to sleep and were still spiritually fed at the same time.

Good for you and the other mom Paige. Smile

I nursed all three of my sons and there were times when I nursed them in church. Like you, I would just go find a quiet seat toward the back. I also nursed them in other public places as well. I was always discreet about it, so no one would have known unless I told them. There is nothing wrong with that at all!!

May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen! Philemon 1:25

https://www.facebook.com/joanylouise
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
2/13/12 5:28 pm

Post Normal, Healthy, God Designed Dan Eason
I think that when we are uncomfortable with breastfeeding, we are the ones with the problem, NOT the mommy who is trying to care for her child in the manner God created for her. If we see sexuality in breastfeeding, we are warped, perverted people.

Yes, the mothers should be modest about it, but the way we see her is in the eye of the beholder.

God forbid we should make young mothers feel self-conscious or awkward about their own bodies and the natural process of feeding their children because we are too perverted to see a nursing mother without thinking sexual thoughts.
Shocked Embarassed Confused
2/13/12 5:41 pm

Post JLA777
Dave Dorsey wrote:
In the nursery or bathroom, yes. Elsewhere, no.

I read yesterday that a bunch of mothers organized a "sit in" at Facebook's offices because Facebook tags their breastfeeding images as obscene (not all, just the images featuring things exposed). This is somehow an incredible violation of everything that is right and decent.

I asked my wife why anyone would want to put a picture of themselves breastfeeding on Facebook, but she didn't know. (Probably because she's sane.)

I do not understand the Mommy Mafia. Take your kid to the nursery or the bathroom.

I agree that nursing mothers should be discreet, but I really don't feel a nursing mother should have to go huddle in a bathroom somewhere to feed her baby, seeing that bathrooms are naturally a very dirty place with lots of pathogens; germs that cause disease.

And Nurseries, seem ideal, but in reality, with all the kids running around, they can be very distracting for a nursing baby.

I've heard some churches have nursing rooms right off the sanctuary where moms can go in and nurse their babies and still see and hear the church service. Smile

May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen! Philemon 1:25

https://www.facebook.com/joanylouise
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
2/13/12 5:46 pm

Post Re: Cover It Link
jedo wrote:
I haven't had the pleasure of learning all the ups and downs of nursing yet, although I am 8 months pregnant and am planning on nursing. I, for one plan on covering it all up. I understand there are going to be inconveniences, like not estimating my time correctly and baby getting hungry while I'm out, or forgetting a bottle, but I plan on avoiding any type of public nursing at all costs (and by public I mean completely covered, myself and baby).

Just a comment here. There is no such thing as 'timing correctly.' Babies want to feed when they want to feed. I suppose some of them may have a pattern, but that changes from time to time, too.

When Mommy gets done feeding the baby, the baby had a dirty diaper. Then, at the same time, needs to be burped. You choose which one to do first. Then the baby wants to eat again.

No matter how early you get everyone up, it is hard to get the baby to church on time. Emergency 'code brown' diapers right when you want to walk out the door can ruin your schedule.
2/14/12 6:14 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.