Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Are they married? What say ye?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Re: Assuming they were biblically eligible ... Link
Truman Smith wrote:
Poimen wrote:
They ARE married. The clerk is misinformed. The certificate of marriage is for legal documenting purposes, and does not itself unite anyone in matrimony. It's paperwork. The covenant is what weds them, not the state, nor the church for that matter.

I really hate to disagree here my friend but your conclusions are way off .They are not married until they obey the laws of the land . Peter tells us ,"to obey every ordiance of man ". Now the Government grants us the right to perform the ceremony . We do not have the right to proclaim them married ever without the authorization of the Government . Poimen I do not remember ever not agreeing with you until now . God Bless . T

Another way to view this is that if people don't get married, are legally required to get a marriage license, but don't, that they are married, but are remiss by not filing the proper paperwork.

I don't care for people saying, "We'll just say a few words to each other and never get a marriage license. Let's keep our marriage a secret." Then the dude skips out when she starts wearing one of those green mud face masks at night.

Let's imagine Ron Paul got elected, and suddenly all the legislatures filled up with extreme libertarians. In some states, they decide the state should have absolutely nothing to do with marriage, so they do away with all marriage law. Wouldn't marriages churches performed still be valid?

Does the Bible give the power to give in marriage to the state? I don't see that. I see fathers having that power in the Old Testament, fathers and potential husbands. I recall reading there was no 'legal marriage' for non-Roman citizens under the Roman empire. If that is the case, perhaps Roman law just didn't deal with it, but the various cultures still had marriage, including Jewish culture.

I don't see where the Bible gives preacher the right to wed people either. There is no example of it in scripture. There is no talk of Levites or kohenim marrying people in the Bible. The elders of the city were involved in Boaz taking Ruth as wife, but apparently only as witnesses, and it doesn't seem that the elders of the city being present was a necessary qualification.

Here is how Boaz got married, perhaps oen of the most detailed accounts of a wedding in the Bible:

Ruth 4
8 So the guardian-redeemer said to Boaz, “Buy it yourself.” And he removed his sandal.

9 Then Boaz announced to the elders and all the people, “Today you are witnesses that I have bought from Naomi all the property of Elimelek, Kilion and Mahlon. 10 I have also acquired Ruth the Moabite, Mahlon’s widow, as my wife, in order to maintain the name of the dead with his property, so that his name will not disappear from among his family or from his hometown. Today you are witnesses!”
(NIV)

I don't think it is good for people to marry without licenses. If a couple went to a justice of the peace and did not go to a preacher, I wouldn't think they are not married. I'd rather see them have witnesses for their marriage, especially the church community if they are married.

In the case of an unmarried woman, I also think it is especially important for the father to give her in marriage. That was certainly an Old Testament concept.
1/20/12 4:37 am

Post Eduardo Nieves
If they were deceptive from the get go, then I question whether they take their vows seriously. I would share my disappointment in how they treated you and tell them that they can have the justice of the peace go through with their vows. However, if you feel they simply made a mistake, then redo the vows with them.
Romanos 8:37
37 Sin embargo, en todo esto somos más que vencedores por medio de aquel que nos amó.

"A Church Without Walls, A Place for All People"
El Nuevo Mana
Eduardo Nieves
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
1/20/12 9:02 am

Post Re: Truman Here sonofasoldier
Truman Smith wrote:
sonofasoldier wrote:
They were married when they slept together.

This statement is as wrong as any statement ever has been . Having sex without the blessings of marriage has never been the requirements of a binding marriage . I JUST DON'T KNOW WHERE OR HOW SOME OF THE STATEMENTS MADE ON THIS BOARD CAN BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY. As a matter of fact it is SIN .God Bless . T

Sex is the blessed consumation of a marriage; not yours or a judges blessing. That's why God forbids sex outside of marriage. Sex binds two beings together inthe most profound way. Why do you think people who have had many sexual partners are a mess? No different than multiple marriages.
Acts-celerater
1/20/12 2:51 pm

Post sonofasoldier
Clint Wills wrote:
sonofasoldier wrote:
They were married when they slept together.

So...anyone that has sex before they are officially married is actually married?? Man, that makes life a TON easier!! I guess we can stop telling our teenagers to not have sex before marriage, because sex IS marriage!! What we should say, then, is only have sex with one person for your entire life. When you start is really up to you.

So sex outside of marriage is ok? What does the bible say consumates a marriage? If it is not the bed then please give me the Scriptural ceremony that binds two people together.

I absolutely tell young people that sex binds you to another person in a very spiritual way because God designed sex for marriage.

Thoughts like yours and others is what makes sex so casually accepted and engaged in.

I bet your state law even says a marriage can be legaly annuled if it has not been consumated.

Sex is the single most godly thing given to a couple.

Think, read and think again.
Acts-celerater
1/20/12 3:03 pm

Post What is most sacred between a couple? sonofasoldier
Do we somehow think because Abraham, David and Solamon abused the sacredness of sex between a man and his wife that it is somehow less than what God intended it to be.

Nothing wrong with eating forbidden fruit outside of God's intentions either, huh. Hath the Lord truly said....?
Acts-celerater
1/20/12 3:08 pm

Post Taken care of usefull
They came over last night around 8:00, after I got home from work. The woman told me the clerk put the wrong date on the license. It should have read 1/7/12 instead of the 1/17/12 date on the license. I told them both that I had spoken to the county clerk and it was no big deal. I did a very short ceremony... I looked at him and said, "You've had her for almost two weeks, do you still want to keep her?" his reply was, "I do" I looked at her and asked her the same question about him,"You've had him for almost two weeks, do you still want to keep him?" her reply was, "I do". So I pronounced them husband and wife for the second time.

Didn't see any reason to ask a lot questions that would have just been me doubting the answers anyway. It was done and over within fifteen minutes.

I ought to write a book about the things I've experienced since I've been in this church.
Friendly Face
1/20/12 3:46 pm

Post Kyle Morrow
I don't think anyone could have handled it better than you did. Your church has a great pastor! Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
1/22/12 10:08 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.