Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

COG campgrounds?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post COG campgrounds? Bowtat
Without taking over another thread I was wondering if all states are about to get into the selling of campgrounds? I grew up in a state that had a campground and then sold it. We were promised money to be added to the " youth camp budget" at a tune of 50,000 a year.

That did not happen.

The money was then spent on a new state offices. The only thing that the youth departmentt seemed to get over the whole thing was... nothing.

Now that state has a finical well run youth camp. With the impending tide of youth director change; who knows if that will remain.

SO... WHO CARES ABOUT THE CAMPGROUNDS?
1. we don't use them enough to justify the money
2. we have already stated on this board that we are not a "youth minded" denomination
3. Like everything in this denomination, we are very poor at running the finical side of a campground.

Who knows?
Friendly Face
9/26/11 1:38 pm

Post Travis Johnson
If our Administrative leadership system placed and advanced people based on performance without the political biases problematic in our fellowship, we wouldn't have the same kind of issues with campgrounds.

Occasionally, we get disciplined AND visionary leadership at the state level. But, we generally get what we reward.

Presently, the reward/prize is upward mobility through an administrative leadership farm system as opposed to long-term ministerial development over states and regions.

In that setup, not only do we get short-term decision-making. We also lose out on:

- the knowledge base that builds in a leader over the long haul.
- personal affinity for the people and culture unique to given regions.
- trust and opportunity that ONLY comes from being present....for a long period of time.

Viability of Campgrounds? It's a symptom of a larger organizational problem.
Acts-dicted
9/26/11 1:54 pm

Post It is interesting... Clint Wills
I can't back this up with a bibliography at all, but I've heard it said that it usually takes 3-5 years for a pastor to see real results to his ministry in a church. Isn't it odd, then, that we leave our ABs in one place for 2-4 years in most cases? Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/26/11 3:32 pm

Post diakoneo
Travis Johnson wrote:
If our Administrative leadership system placed and advanced people based on performance without the political biases problematic in our fellowship, we wouldn't have the same kind of issues with campgrounds.

Occasionally, we get disciplined AND visionary leadership at the state level. But, we generally get what we reward.

Presently, the reward/prize is upward mobility through an administrative leadership farm system as opposed to long-term ministerial development over states and regions.

In that setup, not only do we get short-term decision-making. We also lose out on:

- the knowledge base that builds in a leader over the long haul.
- personal affinity for the people and culture unique to given regions.
- trust and opportunity that ONLY comes from being present....for a long period of time.

Viability of Campgrounds? It's a symptom of a larger organizational problem.

ABSOLUTELY!!! Thumb Up Thumb Up
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
9/26/11 4:46 pm

Post Campgrounds COULD be made viable.... FloridaForever
Some of our campgrounds, I imagine, are paid-in-full. They do have upkeep costs, etc., but there's another value they have.

Even if you scoff at sentimentality, there is some value in maintaining a campground for it's heritage value. It is a spiritual landmark to most of us. Who would not be troubled in the least to see a strip mall over the place where the Lord filled you with the Holy Ghost, or renewed your passion, or where you trembled as the preacher spoke of the coming of the Lord?

The Church of God of Prophecy "gets" the importance of landmarks. Yes, some of it is certainly vanity and aggrandizement, but at the same time, isn't it worthwhile to say, "This is where the first General Assembly was held?"

I'm not talking about being a stick in the mud, but rather to keep in touch with our roots.

That being said, I believe Florida could do a better job with its campgrounds. It's a distance further out, but if our State Office were there, we could likely save on the lease of our buildings in a nice business park. Moreover, having it continually occupied would serve to keep at bay that musty smell and the tendency for things to wear away.

Of course, this is a whole lot easier said than done. But with such nice facilities in Wimauma, I don't know why we don't utilize our acreage there to bring economy of scale.
Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
9/26/11 5:50 pm

Post Even though our church is over 50 years old exile824
The number of kids we send to camp is dwindling rapidly. I have long been a proponent of selling our campgrounds.

They are only used a fraction of the time and they are too far out of circulation to be a viable candidate to rent to other entities.
9/27/11 12:33 pm

Post Re: Even though our church is over 50 years old Travis Johnson
exile824 wrote:
The number of kids we send to camp is dwindling rapidly. I have long been a proponent of selling our campgrounds.

They are only used a fraction of the time and they are too far out of circulation to be a viable candidate to rent to other entities.

Camp attendance isn't the problem. Land use and location isn't the problem.
Acts-dicted
9/27/11 12:41 pm

Post Lifer
The worst mistake ever made by the WNC Church of God is when they sold the campground in Charlotte. The money has long been gone and one day when that property sells for 50 million dollars, we will look even more foolish. Friendly Face
9/27/11 12:41 pm

Post Re: Even though our church is over 50 years old exile824
Travis Johnson wrote:
exile824 wrote:

Travis, I was speaking to the dwindling camp attendance. People are way too busy with travel ball and stuff. Going to youth camp is fading away, and Camp Meeting is about the same.
9/27/11 12:57 pm

Post Exile... FloridaForever
Maybe youth camp needs to be "reinvented"? Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
9/27/11 1:02 pm

Post reinvented? exile824
Or done away with?
9/27/11 1:58 pm

Post Re: Even though our church is over 50 years old Travis Johnson
exile824 wrote:
Travis Johnson wrote:
exile824 wrote:

Travis, I was speaking to the dwindling camp attendance. People are way too busy with travel ball and stuff. Going to youth camp is fading away, and Camp Meeting is about the same.

I didn't know youth camp wasn't working well. It seems to me that what isn't working well is us maximizing space, resources, and opportunity with long-term strategies and short-term execution.
Acts-dicted
9/27/11 2:42 pm

Post WE live and travel full time in our motor home Cojak
We were once traveling, in Illinois or Kentucky. In our Trailer life BOOK there was a Campground nearby listed as the ‘Church of God Campground’ $15 a night or $90 a week. We found it and drove in. it was A great facility.

I did find out it was not our COG. But they merged the commercial end with their church functions and it earned money year round. It is run by volunteers in exchange for free camping. So there are two or three sites set aside for them.

I don’t know how much FL makes on the campground, I have stayed there but the sites are too small for the newer campers. But it seemed to me during the winter months it stayed pretty active.I don’t think the Commercial end interferes with the Church activities, I haven’t talked to anyone about it.

Lifer made a point, When ANY STATE sells their camp ground there should be some HARD GUIDELINES on how the money is used and where it is placed.

WNC is not a good example of proper use of funds.

If they still own the Cherokee Camp Ground it could be developed for year round use commercially and finance all the youth Camps and cut the cost per child.

I like to see campgrounds kept where possible.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
9/27/11 4:51 pm

Post Exile... FloridaForever
Do away with it? Sure. Except that this year, three boys in my dorm got the Holy Ghost at a Youth Camp. It was old-fashioned, crying, weeping praying through kind of stuff, too.

If nothing else at all, THAT was worth every dime we went into the red.
Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
9/27/11 5:11 pm

Post Most States Summer Camp payment a myth Bowtat
In the state of Florida does the the youth budget pay for campground usage? In most state they do not, so the youth budget looks better and the campgrounds look... foolish.

My question is... what is that money they pay go to?
Friendly Face
9/30/11 3:01 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Campgrounds became WAY more expensive when we started making them carpeted and air-conditioned.

Not that I wish we could go back to the open tabernacle with ceiling fans kind of set-up, just sayin' it was a lot cheaper to keep up a the old style tabernacles than it is to keep up what is basically a big air-conditioned auditorium that we only use for a small fraction of each year (even if we don't run the heat or AC all the time).

Last edited by Quiet Wyatt on 10/1/11 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/1/11 6:34 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
By the way, anybody here know what ever happened to the old Illinois CoG Campground? I attended youth camp there as a kid back in the 70s. I heard they ended up selling it. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/1/11 6:35 pm

Post Re: WE live and travel full time in our motor home Carolyn Smith
Cojak wrote:
We were once traveling, in Illinois or Kentucky. In our Trailer life BOOK there was a Campground nearby listed as the ‘Church of God Campground’ $15 a night or $90 a week. We found it and drove in. it was A great facility.

I did find out it was not our COG. But they merged the commercial end with their church functions and it earned money year round. It is run by volunteers in exchange for free camping. So there are two or three sites set aside for them.

I don’t know how much FL makes on the campground, I have stayed there but the sites are too small for the newer campers. But it seemed to me during the winter months it stayed pretty active.I don’t think the Commercial end interferes with the Church activities, I haven’t talked to anyone about it.

Lifer made a point, When ANY STATE sells their camp ground there should be some HARD GUIDELINES on how the money is used and where it is placed.

WNC is not a good example of proper use of funds.

If they still own the Cherokee Camp Ground it could be developed for year round use commercially and finance all the youth Camps and cut the cost per child.

I like to see campgrounds kept where possible.

Cojak - do you mean the Pembroke campground or the Whittier campground?

Youth Camp should not be done away with...it sounds to me like it is being kept progressive & most importantly, ministers to our kids and draws them closer to the Lord. Kids come away wondering why they don't have services like that back at home. Perhaps they chould find cheaper ways to do it, but our kids are used to air conditioning and that sorta thing.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/1/11 6:51 pm

Post WNC Properties Allen King
Don't even get me started.

Rolling Eyes
10/1/11 7:43 pm

Post Re: WE live and travel full time in our motor home Cojak
Carolyn Smith wrote:

Cojak - do you mean the Pembroke campground or the Whittier campground?

Youth Camp should not be done away with...it sounds to me like it is being kept progressive & most importantly, ministers to our kids and draws them closer to the Lord. Kids come away wondering why they don't have services like that back at home. Perhaps they chould find cheaper ways to do it, but our kids are used to air conditioning and that sorta thing.

I was referring to the Whittier property, but any destination area will pay off as a camp ground for RV's. More and more Fundamental Christians are RV'ing and I think would use the campgrounds. Just my thinking, it may not work, but little else seems to be.

Bro. King, yeah WNC has had and blew some great property deals. Handled correctly could have made money for the Church. But that is hind sight, I know. What should be done with present properties in WNC allow the pastors to come up with the viable places for State HQ etc.

I looked at the property in Asheville, It was sold at a steal, I wanted to buy that, but I was too old to start any developing and besides, i love the mts. but know little of building there.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/2/11 10:29 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.