Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Divorcing a spouse with Alzheimer's is justified
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Link
NatureBoy,
I sent a 'question' in to the 700 Club asking about that. I bet Pat Robertson is getting a lot of questions like that.

I wonder how they'd respond if you turned that last post into a question and sent it in to be read online. You'd probably get a response back, but it probably wouldn't be read on the air.
9/16/11 5:53 pm

Post helping hand
Carolyn Smith wrote:
I heard a story once about a man who went to visit his wife who had Alzheimer's every day, even though she didn't know him anymore. When asked why he took the time to do that, he said, "Because I know who she is."

The context of Pat's saying this (according to media) was if a man was cheating on his wife who had Alzheimers, what should the man be counseled to do? The only reasoning I can think of that he would say this is that at least if he divorced her, he wouldn't be sinning by committing adultery. Not saying he is right by any stretch of the imagination, but it does give a slightly different slant to just out & out saying, "Divorce your wife with Alzheimers."

This has to be one of the goofiest things Pat Roberson has ever said!

BTW, Alheimers is a type of dementia. They told me when my mom was diagnosed with dementia that they can't say for sure it's Alzheimers unless they biopsy the brain after death.

Ya know, sometimes they do have a lucid moment and remember you and many can remember the past, but not the present. Many can have a decent conversation and play cards or enjoy eating a meal with you. Some however are almost like living vegetables. It is truly a horrible way to die.
I took care of an older gentleman for the last 3 years of his life. He was a WWII Vet and he liked to talk about his adventutes during the war. He was a Navigator/pilot. His name was Merlin. He was unaware of his bodily functions and had to be taken care of like an infant but he loved to watch
"Becker" on TV or Scantily clad girls playing volley ball would always capture his attention.
I learned more about the Lord from him than anyone else in my life. He had been a Christian all of his life. He didn't know who I was or where he was or how he would be taken care of but he was at peace. Such a peace as I had never known. He and I got reacquainted everyday when I woke him up to give him a shower and dress him for the day. We talked about the Lord alot.
He told me after he had retired he would go to the jails and witness to the inmates. No church program...he did this on his own. He also went to the local VA Hospitals and Volunteered. We had the same conversations many mornings, sometimes every 5 minutes. Sometimes I called him Mr. Right Now cause he was only in the moment. LOL!
Sometimes when I would dry his feet and put on his socks and shoes I would just "know" it wasn't him it was 'Jesus'. Once I told him I thought God sent me to take care of him, but then I knew God had sent him to me! He looked at me and said very lucidly :"Jim, I've known that for a long time". And then he was gone again. He had remembered my name. That was a miracle!!!
He changed my life and he 'affected' EVERYONE who came into contact with him! There was something about his peaceful way. He TRUSTED God!
My point is...
I learned to loved this old man whom I had never known. I learned to appreciate him right where he was, not where I was. I think I could do at least as much for my spouse of many years. Just washing her and dressing her; getting her breakfast, reading her our morning devotions and praying with her would be some of the most wonderful moments of my life...I know, I did it with an old man I never even knew!!! I did it for my mom too with the help of my sister. Some of the best times I ever had with my mom were the last 6 mo's of her life. Sitting alone with with her, for hours, mostly just being there but fixing her breakfast and lunch and praying with her and reading to her. Maybe we'd watch some of her favorite video's..Love come's Sofetly, the series...Yuck! LOL! Thanks for letting me ramble and vent.
9/23/11 6:45 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.