Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Require all churches to have "Church of God" title
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Re: Church of God name.. Link
2ndgeneration wrote:
kingdomkid wrote:
The EMBLEM SAYS WE ARE CHURCH OF GOD. You let any other church that is not our denomination display "our" emblem, and I'd say there would be a lawsuit! Besides, there are other "Church of God" denominations. They just have a different emblem. Our "cross and flame" says CHURCH OF GOD!

Actually there is a Congregational Holiness Church in Jefferson, Ga that has the Church of God emblem on their sign. I thought that was interesting. It is a church of about 250.

I used to live in Jefferson and visited a CH church there once. That was in the 1990s. Do you know why they have a COG emblem?
4/25/11 4:13 am

Post Phillip Johnson
MARK317 wrote:
Travis Johnson wrote:
The strict Constructionis wrote:
Amen!! The preaching of the cross is foolishness to them who are perishing. Christ is MEANT to be a stone of stumbling and a rock of offense. It seems we are hindering him from fulfilling that role by trying to be "relatable".

Let Jesus be the stumbling block. He doesn't need our help creating more barriers to keep the riff raff out.

It seems there is an implication that if we have "Church of God" in our name that we are wanting to keep the "rift raft" out. That is not true. If you have to give your Church a name that blots out our name for the sake that it might turn some off and others on, I feel that is for the wrong reason.
Be relevant, do the things to attract the lost, but for goodness sake why do we have to abandon the good and best parts of our heritage just so we'll relate?

I can't speak for Travis, but here is what I took from his response. It seems that many people use the scripture that Jesus is a stumbling block to justify their man made rules and made up sins. It's used as an excuse to be harsh and judgmental as well. The point seems to be that if Jesus is to be the stumbling block, we don't need to create barriers. A COG emblem, the COG name in your sign, pews, suits and ties, and so many other things can be barriers if we make that a focus. Why do we have to add to the Bible? Our rules are so much easier to keep up than actually doing what Jesus said: Love God and love man.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
4/25/11 8:26 am

Post MARK317
Phillip Johnson wrote:
MARK317 wrote:
Travis Johnson wrote:
Amen!! The preaching of the cross is foolishness to them who are perishing. Christ is MEANT to be a stone of stumbling and a rock of offense. It seems we are hindering him from fulfilling that role by trying to be "relatable".

Let Jesus be the stumbling block. He doesn't need our help creating more barriers to keep the riff raff out.

It seems there is an implication that if we have "Church of God" in our name that we are wanting to keep the "rift raft" out. That is not true. If you have to give your Church a name that blots out our name for the sake that it might turn some off and others on, I feel that is for the wrong reason.
Be relevant, do the things to attract the lost, but for goodness sake why do we have to abandon the good and best parts of our heritage just so we'll relate?

I can't speak for Travis, but here is what I took from his response. It seems that many people use the scripture that Jesus is a stumbling block to justify their man made rules and made up sins. It's used as an excuse to be harsh and judgmental as well. The point seems to be that if Jesus is to be the stumbling block, we don't need to create barriers. A COG emblem, the COG name in your sign, pews, suits and ties, and so many other things can be barriers if we make that a focus. Why do we have to add to the Bible? Our rules are so much easier to keep up than actually doing what Jesus said: Love God and love man.

I appreciate your imput, but I couldn't disagree with you more. A Church emblem or name of the COG is not wrong. It is not a barrier to tell who you are. I see it as being ashamed of our denomination. It's all perspective and I feel some's perspective is emmbarrased by our name and our heritage.
What I don't understand is why line yourself up with an organization that you ( not necessarily you) disagree with. From our DOF to our name on a sign.It would be so refreshing to hear from you and a few others about your pride of the COG.
Acts-celerater
4/25/11 9:37 am

Post disagree Tracy S Hamilton
MARK317 wrote:
Phillip Johnson wrote:
MARK317 wrote:
Travis Johnson wrote:

I appreciate your imput, but I couldn't disagree with you more. A Church emblem or name of the COG is not wrong. It is not a barrier to tell who you are. I see it as being ashamed of our denomination. It's all perspective and I feel some's perspective is emmbarrased by our name and our heritage.
What I don't understand is why line yourself up with an organization that you ( not necessarily you) disagree with. From our DOF to our name on a sign.It would be so refreshing to hear from you and a few others about your pride of the COG.

MARK317,

Maybe it depends on where you live. But I couldn't disagree with you more. I hope that telling someone you are COG is not who you are. You were bought with a price, and that was and is the blood of Jesus, not the blood of the COG.

There have been a lot of things go on in certain areas where the COG has not had that great a reputation along with other denominations. Denominational signs and names can be a stumbling block for some people.

In fact, we had people who came to our church in the beginning and were here for about 6 or 7 months when they came to me and ask me if we were affiliated with the COG. I told them yes. Their next response to me was this: "had we known that before we came, we would have never walked through the doors." I asked them why? They told me that when they first got saved that someone had invited them to a revival at a COG. This guys wife has always had short hair.... really short hair. The preacher made a statement about women having short hair and that it was sin.

Since that time they have never been back to a COG and said that they never would again. Whether we like it or not, that left an impression upon them that the COG was a certain type of church.

They love our church and are leaders in our church to this day. That was over 10 years ago when they told me that. They are still here. What an amazing couple and family we would have lost and never even met had we had the name on the sign.

Over 95% of our church has no COG background and for that matter they have no pentecostal background.

When people ask me what kind of church we are..... I ask them.... What kind of church do you need? It usually gets a laugh.

I agree with Phillip, it is about Loving God, and Loving People.

Tracy
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
4/25/11 11:52 am

Post mytimewillcome
Phillip Johnson wrote:
A COG emblem, the COG name in your sign, pews, suits and ties, and so many other things can be barriers if we make that a focus. Why do we have to add to the Bible? Our rules are so much easier to keep up than actually doing what Jesus said: Love God and love man.

So, loving God and loving man is all that qualifies us to be a Christian?
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
4/25/11 12:07 pm

Post Travis Johnson
MARK317 wrote:
It would be so refreshing to hear from you and a few others about your pride of the COG.

I am proud to be a part of the COG. I love the COG. It has shaped me. I have some amazing friendships here. I have a personal investment here.

But, I don't lead with that in my community. My community doesn't care. It is rarely a plus. It is often a minus. It would likely be the same if I was Vineyard, Calvary Chapel, SBC, or AG. I'm constantly getting pushed up on by people who have a beef with any semblance of organized religion. It's a part of the cultural DNA here and elsewhere.

Where do I talk about our affiliation?

-Membership
-Discussions about World Missions.
-With other pastors outside of the COG.

I don't hide it. I'm not ashamed of it. If I wanted to be somewhere else, I could be. So could a lot of other people.

What do I lead with in my community?

-Jesus
-Service
-Controversy
-Baptisms
-Feeding the Hungry (withreach)
-Fun

People resonate with different things. Hardly anyone resonates with a denominational brand. Why fight that. Roll with it. Advance the Gospel. There's enough fight to be had there than expending energy tying yourself to the credibility of a denominational mechanism.

The greater value of the COG is belonging to the tribe, doctrine, missions, accountability. Let it work for you...not unnecessarily against you.
Acts-dicted
4/25/11 1:13 pm

Post Re: disagree MARK317
Tracy S Hamilton wrote:
MARK317 wrote:
Phillip Johnson wrote:
MARK317 wrote:
Travis Johnson wrote:

MARK317,

Maybe it depends on where you live. But I couldn't disagree with you more. I hope that telling someone you are COG is not who you are. You were bought with a price, and that was and is the blood of Jesus, not the blood of the COG.

There have been a lot of things go on in certain areas where the COG has not had that great a reputation along with other denominations. Denominational signs and names can be a stumbling block for some people.

In fact, we had people who came to our church in the beginning and were here for about 6 or 7 months when they came to me and ask me if we were affiliated with the COG. I told them yes. Their next response to me was this: "had we known that before we came, we would have never walked through the doors." I asked them why? They told me that when they first got saved that someone had invited them to a revival at a COG. This guys wife has always had short hair.... really short hair. The preacher made a statement about women having short hair and that it was sin.

Since that time they have never been back to a COG and said that they never would again. Whether we like it or not, that left an impression upon them that the COG was a certain type of church.

They love our church and are leaders in our church to this day. That was over 10 years ago when they told me that. They are still here. What an amazing couple and family we would have lost and never even met had we had the name on the sign.

Over 95% of our church has no COG background and for that matter they have no pentecostal background.

When people ask me what kind of church we are..... I ask them.... What kind of church do you need? It usually gets a laugh.

Tracy

Tracy, please don't preach to me. And I make no claims that I am COG first. I am affiliated by virture of being one of it's Pastors. It's just tireing wearisome the ones on he who try to discredit our Church.

Those people you mentioned that never came back because they felt slighted by the COG. I bet they go back to Walmart and you know not everything always goes right at Walmart. People have bad experiences all the times and sometimes it's not a COG. As a a matter of fact I have people who attend our COG because they felt wronged by another denomination. So it's all reletive to each individual case. And most of the times it's only an excuse .
Acts-celerater
4/25/11 1:38 pm

Post Re: disagree Phillip Johnson
MARK317 wrote:

Tracy, please don't preach to me. And I make no claims that I am COG first. I am affiliated by virture of being one of it's Pastors. It's just tireing wearisome the ones on he who try to discredit our Church.

Those people you mentioned that never came back because they felt slighted by the COG. I bet they go back to Walmart and you know not everything always goes right at Walmart. People have bad experiences all the times and sometimes it's not a COG. As a a matter of fact I have people who attend our COG because they felt wronged by another denomination. So it's all reletive to each individual case. And most of the times it's only an excuse .

I would love to hear about all the sinners who came to a relationship with Christ because of a name on a sign or an emblem. If your goal is to consolidate all of the churchy people and people who love the denomination under one roof then I guess "Church of God" in your name or the COG emblem on the sign would be a great idea. But if you are trying to reach the lost and hurting, I don't see how it is so important.
4/25/11 2:12 pm

Post Phillip Johnson
MARK317 wrote:

That's a mighty good straw man that you set up and knocked down. I never said that an emblem or name was wrong. I said it could be a barrier if that is the focus. Requiring such a thing does seem to make it a focus. Denominational branding and franchising probably isn't going to work everywhere. What is our purpose? Is it to promote the Gospel, help the hurting, impact the community for Christ, and ultimately lead others to a relationship with Jesus? Or is it to promote a denomination so that other people who love the COG will attend?
4/25/11 2:17 pm

Post Re: disagree Tracy S Hamilton
MARK317 wrote:
Tracy S Hamilton wrote:
MARK317 wrote:
Phillip Johnson wrote:
MARK317 wrote:
Travis Johnson wrote:

MARK317,

Tracy

MARK317

Not preaching to you, and if you thought that then I apologize..... somehow I thought this was a discussion board, my bad. I agree, that I am a Pastor and a part of the COG, but that is not first and foremost on my mind when reaching the lost.

When you talk about people not going back to Wal-mart, you are GREATLY comparing apples to oranges. Not sure that I would compare something that could be an eternal decision with Wal-Mart. Trust me, if you knew these people you would understand that in no way would it be an excuse for them. They are the kind of people who see the good in everything and everybody, and at times to a fault, in my opinion. But seeing the goodness in everyone sure helps me stay focused from time to time.

These people didn't make a decision based on feeling slighted, but based on some preachers stupidity, which in turn, made the COG look bad. It doesn't matter how you see it, it is how they saw it.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
4/25/11 3:56 pm

Post MARK317
Phillip Johnson wrote:
MARK317 wrote:

That's a mighty good straw man that you set up and knocked down. I never said that an emblem or name was wrong. I said it could be a barrier if that is the focus. Requiring such a thing does seem to make it a focus. Denominational branding and franchising probably isn't going to work everywhere. What is our purpose? Is it to promote the Gospel, help the hurting, impact the community for Christ, and ultimately lead others to a relationship with Jesus? Or is it to promote a denomination so that other people who love the COG will attend?

Some people actually love the COG and would like to know if they are looking that it is a COG. Just as it could be a barrier, it can be a way someone chooses their Church.
I get the sence of a pompous attitude of "Well........we are only considered about souls and all you guys care about is denomination'. That is simply not true. You are not the only ones who care about people.
It's a pompous attitude you have that is just as bad as any person interested only in his Denomination. It's self-rightous on your part to assume you are the only one that cares about people just because COG is not on your sign. There's this crazy attitude around here that you don't love people if you love and promote you are COG. It's an un-spoken assumption that you can't do both, and that is not true.
I am going to say it one time. I am not COG first. I am someone that loves people. I could be doing something else in my life, but I am devoted to loving people just as you are and I have COG in our name.
NO! Cog in a name is not a guarentee you are a great Church. It just identifies who you are. And if you leave out COG, because it's just not relevant enought to draw the numbers is just as bad as being a company man.
Acts-celerater
4/25/11 5:32 pm

Post Travis Johnson
It isn't an either/or. It depends on what is best depending on environment. If the denominational affiliation helps, leverage it. If it hurts, drop it...don't fight against the movement of that environment for that issue.

People used to choose churches based on denominational affiliation. They largely don't anymore. So, it ought not be a denominational pride issue or an issue of being embarrassed of a denomination. It's a matter of what best advances the Gospel in our particular churches.

I was on staff at North Cleveland COG. I wouldn't change that name. It's a big benefit. But, it's a non-issue here. So, our name describes more of a community/vision posture instead of a geographical/denominational posture.

It's no more sinister than that. As I'd imagine you're no more loyal to the COG based on your use of the COG moniker on your sign than I am without one.
Acts-dicted
4/25/11 5:50 pm

Post MARK317
Travis Johnson wrote:
It isn't an either/or. It depends on what is best depending on environment. If the denominational affiliation helps, leverage it. If it hurts, drop it...don't fight against the movement of that environment for that issue.

People used to choose churches based on denominational affiliation. They largely don't anymore. So, it ought not be a denominational pride issue or an issue of being embarrassed of a denomination. It's a matter of what best advances the Gospel in our particular churches.

I was on staff at North Cleveland COG. I wouldn't change that name. It's a big benefit. But, it's a non-issue here. So, our name describes more of a community/vision posture instead of a geographical/denominational posture.

It's no more sinister than that. As I'd imagine you're no more loyal to the COG based on your use of the COG moniker on your sign than I am without one.

You said it well. You also are no more loyal to loving people and their needs than the Church with COG in their name. You not having the "Moniker" makes you no more relevant or of importance than the Church that does. Let's drop it. Laughing
Acts-celerater
4/25/11 6:17 pm

Post Re: disagree MARK317
Tracy S Hamilton wrote:
MARK317 wrote:
Tracy S Hamilton wrote:
MARK317 wrote:
Phillip Johnson wrote:
MARK317 wrote:
Travis Johnson wrote:

MARK317,

Tracy

MARK317

Not preaching to you, and if you thought that then I apologize..... somehow I thought this was a discussion board, my bad. I agree, that I am a Pastor and a part of the COG, but that is not first and foremost on my mind when reaching the lost.

When you talk about people not going back to Wal-mart, you are GREATLY comparing apples to oranges. Not sure that I would compare something that could be an eternal decision with Wal-Mart. Trust me, if you knew these people you would understand that in no way would it be an excuse for them. They are the kind of people who see the good in everything and everybody, and at times to a fault, in my opinion. But seeing the goodness in everyone sure helps me stay focused from time to time.

These people didn't make a decision based on feeling slighted, but based on some preachers stupidity, which in turn, made the COG look bad. It doesn't matter how you see it, it is how they saw it.

I was trying to prove a point . I know going to Walmart is not like going to Church. But it's wierd. People are so quick to quit a Church because of offense. We are all offended everyday. Just because one COG did them wrong, does not mean they all will. It is a silly mindset we as people have. Peace.....out!
Acts-celerater
4/25/11 6:21 pm

Post Mark317 Tracy S Hamilton
MARK317

Travis said it best...... if it works for you then use it on everything you do. If not, then don't use it.

When we did our church plant in our area, people asked us if we were a part of a denomination.... I would say yes, the COG.... next question was ... which church did you split from? Maybe that might say something to us.

Letting people get to know who we really are without the affiliation might be a better approach under those circumstances.

I've never been ashamed to be COG but I have been ashamed of some of the things that have happened in the COG in our communities. But it is the same with Baptist, Methodist or any other denomination that have experienced negatives.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
4/25/11 8:48 pm

Post Travis Johnson
MARK317 wrote:
You said it well. You also are no more loyal to loving people and their needs than the Church with COG in their name. You not having the "Moniker" makes you no more relevant or of importance than the Church that does. Let's drop it. Laughing

Right you are. I make no claim to that.
Acts-dicted
4/25/11 10:10 pm

Post COG PastorPaul2
Nice way of saying that titles should not mean anything Travis. Our mission as the church should be to see the lost won and it should not matter what name is on the door as long as Christ Crucified is being preached and the lost are being won and you are seeing your city impacted by the fruits of the church and ministry that you have been called to love and serve.
8/15/13 8:48 am

Post charlesu
I for one have been in many states as pastor and I was always remember loving to see the Church of God Logo,and for those who think is not fitting nor revelant, the sign stands for the Cross and the Holy Spirit and I can never be ashamed of that . If a Church has earned a bad name so be it but let's not forget who has fought the hardest for our church.charlesu Newbie
6/27/16 4:42 pm

Post Re: COG charlesu
PastorPaul2 wrote:
Nice way of saying that titles should not mean anything Travis. Our mission as the church should be to see the lost won and it should not matter what name is on the door as long as Christ Crucified is being preached and the lost are being won and you are seeing your city impacted by the fruits of the church and ministry that you have been called to love and serve.

I have read some of the comments concerning the church emblem on our churches.
I think we are missing the point.
We are members of the church of God and our minutes states that we should display the emblem on our signs .Why do we join something we are ashamed of.Could it be you are are ashamed of the cross?
If we cannot agree with what we belong to why not abandon it.
I also believe that many of our modern pastors are self concerned and are out to make a name more than preach the gospel.
As stated before the emblem shows the cross and the Baptism of the Holy Ghost.
7/11/16 6:29 pm

Post Re: Require all churches to have "Church of God" t autumn trees twice dead
sheepdogandy wrote:
Quote:
Simple, they don't want people to know that's what it is. They think more people will come if they don't know that. It's all about the money and the crowd.

bingo Cool

agreed
4/1/20 1:01 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic