Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Where does the Bible condemn polygamy?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Where does the Bible condemn polygamy? doyle
I've only got one wife and love her very much. I have no desire whatsoever to have a different one or additional one.

However, I thought maybe viewers might want to discuss polygamy from Scripture. Where in Scripture was polygamy between adults forbidden?

The Bible does say, "For this cause shall a man leave father and mother and cling to his wife and the two shall become one." Does that mean only one? Can he become one with more than one?

Also, the Scripture says those who desire to be a Bishop should be the husband of one wife. Was that requirement given to all other men or just to those desiring the office of Bishop?

I'm not trying to challenge the norm in any way but just thought since one of the major news stories on the air now is about polygamy, it would be good to discuss it from a Scriptural standpoint.

Doyle

Last edited by doyle on 4/17/08 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Acts-celerate Owner
4/17/08 10:34 am

Post curly
Believe it or not, I had a Pastor ask me this at lunch yesterday. Acts Enthusiast
4/17/08 10:44 am

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post Poimen
Doyle,

For starters, taking the passage you have in reference and coupling it with Romans 7:3 Scripture clearly shows that polygamy is counted sinful via the NT.

1st, two become one flesh (Notice not 3, 4 or more become one flesh).

2nd, the man cleaves to His wife (not wives).

3rd, Jesus us reiterating the creative model and divine intention -- one man with one woman for life.

4th per Romans 7:3 to have more than one living spouse at a time is adultery.

Singing: "Let us then be true and faithful -- trusting, serving, everyday. Just one glimpse of Him in glory will the toils of life repay."
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/17/08 10:52 am

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post Poimen, Toby
Romans 7:3 would not apply in a case of polygamy, since it refers to the wife. In polygamy the wife is married to only one man, where that man can be married to more than one woman.

I'm just so proud to be here!
Friendly Face
4/17/08 11:35 am

Post cleave to his wife 4thgeneration
Genesis 2:24 says that a man shall leave his father and mother and cleave to his wife.
The Hebrew is ishshah nashiym translated wife
Genesis 4:19 says that Lamech took two wives
The Hebrew is ishshah nashiym this time translated wives
2 Samuel 5:13 says that David returned from Hebron and took for himself more wives plural
Judges 8:30 says that Gideon had many wives

My point is that it is not conclusive in the OT by using the word wife in Genesis 2 that the intent was singular. The same words were translated as singular (wife) and plural (wives)
Acts Enthusiast
4/17/08 11:40 am

Post Polygamy is all throughout nature BlessedinMsTn
One Buck, many Does

One Lion, many tigers

In scripture it was God himself who sanctioned Polygamy and NEVER refuted it, never rescinded that sanction,, NEVER

Here is GODS REWARD to David

II San 12:8 -And I gave thee thy master's house, and thy master's wives into thy bosom, and gave thee the house of Israel and of Judah; and if [that had been] too little, I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things.

HERE MOSES GIVES INSTRUCTION IN PLURAL MARRIAGE

Duet 21:15 If a man have two wives, one beloved, and another hated, and they have born him children, [both] the beloved and the hated; and [if] the firstborn son be hers that was hated:

there are 32 other scripture references for PLURAL MARRIAGES.. now show me ONE CONDEMING IT
4/17/08 11:40 am

Post 4th generation BlessedinMsTn
I definitly cleave to my wife.... and I can also cleave to my other wife and I can cleave to the other one., and we are both becoming one flesh.... Absolutely
4/17/08 11:41 am

Post Re: Poimen, Poimen
Toby wrote:
Romans 7:3 would not apply in a case of polygamy, since it refers to the wife. In polygamy the wife is married to only one man, where that man can be married to more than one woman.

Perhaps, but taken in context with Jesus words regarding marriage as quoted by Doyle it is clear that the NT holds marriage as a monogamous life-long covenant relationship between one man and one woman.

Furthermore, the sin of Romans 7:3 is adultery. Sin is irrespective of gender. If it is adultery for a woman to be married to more than one man it is likewise adultery for a man to be married to more than one woman.

In fact the gospel of Mark bares this out when it quotes Jesus teaching on adultery and refers to the woman who puts away her husband and marries another. Whereas in the other gospels it only refers to men putting away the wives and marrying again as adultery. That is, the gospels show that adultery can be initiated by either spouse.

Furthermore the howl attitude of Scripture via the NT towards marriage is one of a monogamous life-long relationship for both spouses. Jesus does not assume remarriage could even take place except a divorce from the other spouse had been had. Even then, except possibly in the case of fornication, remarriage constituted adultery. That being the case, it is then obvious that polygamy, not even acknowledging divorce as having any need for remarriage is equally, if not in some way more, adultery

Singing: "Let us then be true and faithful -- trusting, serving, everyday. Just one glimpse of Him in glory will the toils of life repay."
4/17/08 12:08 pm

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post Poimen BlessedinMsTn
If a man putteth away his wife,, according to scripture "he causeth HER to commit adultery"

We are allowed to have only ONE HUSBAND, Jesus Christ

Yet, his ONE BRIDE is made of millions to whom he has married himself and yet those MILLIONS are only allowed HIM AS THEIR HUSBAND

One Buck, many does
4/17/08 12:11 pm

Post Re: Poimen Poimen
BlessedinMsTn wrote:
If a man putteth away his wife,, according to scripture "he causeth HER to commit adultery"

We are allowed to have only ONE HUSBAND, Jesus Christ

Yet, his ONE BRIDE is made of millions to whom he has married himself and yet those MILLIONS are only allowed HIM AS THEIR HUSBAND

One Buck, many does

What a gross mutilation of Scripture and the analogy of the bride of Christ. Notice it is the BRIDE not Brides.

If you want to compare it to animals, God compares His wife to a dove. Dove's normally mate for life. One male dove, one female dove.

Furthermore, that man that causes his wife to commits adultery likewise, if he marries another, commits adultery.

Matthew 19:9
And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

See also

Mark 10:11-12
Luke 16:18

4/17/08 12:18 pm

Post Poimen, you just hit the nail on the head BlessedinMsTn
Polygamist believe that their plural wives makes up their ONE BRIDE

They teach the exact same thing.. that Jesus Bride is MANY MEMBERED and yet just ONE WIFE,, they believe that no matter how many members they are married to just like Christ it is their ONE BRIDE

No, he compares the Holy Spirit to a dove, his Bride to an Eagle...
4/17/08 12:23 pm

Post Re: Poimen, you just hit the nail on the head Poimen
BlessedinMsTn wrote:

They teach the exact same thing.. that Jesus Bride is MANY MEMBERED and yet just ONE WIFE,, they believe that no matter how many members they are married to just like Christ it is their ONE BRIDE

I could care less about their nonsensical, deluded, revisionist definition of the terms one and bride. The terms alone or togther are self evident.

Quote:

Song of Solomon 6:9
My dove, my undefiled is but one;...

4/17/08 12:28 pm

Post Poimen BlessedinMsTn
That was ISrael,, not the Bride
4/17/08 12:31 pm

Post Re: Where does the Bible condemn polygamy? KariJay
doyle wrote:

The Bible does say, "For this cause shall a man leave father and mother and cling to his wife and the two shall become one." Does that mean only one? Can he become one with more than one?

I know I'm not great at math...but the last I checked if two became one...and one of those became one with someone else that would make two.

1 + 1 = 2

Plus...God didn't make 50 Eves for Adam. He made one. And those two became ONE FLESH.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
4/17/08 12:54 pm

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post No, Karijay BlessedinMsTn
If I become one with someone... great

I can also become one with someone else

For instance...... The Father and the Son are 1

but The Father is also 1 with the Holy Spirit

and he is also 1 with us

yet he is ONE with many more than JUST ONE

You can become one with ONE PERSON
and also one with ANOTHER PERSON

These two shall become ONE

and then he can become ONE with another person
4/17/08 1:01 pm

Post Re: Poimen, you just hit the nail on the head Phillip Johnson
BlessedinMsTn wrote:

Blessed, your point is moot. Eagles mate for life.
4/17/08 1:07 pm

Post Phillip Johnson
Using scripture to justify the practice of polygamy and incest is like using scripture to justify slavery. Last I checked, slavery was not condemned in the bible anymore than polygamy. Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
4/17/08 1:09 pm

Post Re: Polygamy is all throughout nature Old Time Country Preacher
BlessedinMsTn wrote:
One Buck, many Does

One Lion, many tigers

My blessed mercy, the truth stretchers is at it agin.

Hey, an ole male hound dog goes round sniffin ever female dog in heat he comes in contact with. Does at mean since it happens in nature then Christian men is to go round sniffin out ever woman he wants fer a wife?
Acts-pert Poster
4/17/08 1:18 pm

Post Re: Polygamy is all throughout nature mytimewillcome
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
BlessedinMsTn wrote:
One Buck, many Does

One Lion, many tigers

My blessed mercy, the truth stretchers is at it agin.

Hey, an ole male hound dog goes round sniffin ever female dog in heat he comes in contact with. Does at mean since it happens in nature then Christian men is to go round sniffin out ever woman he wants fer a wife?

Don't female spiders kill the males after mating? Guess we can throw that in there as being acceptable as well.
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
4/17/08 1:32 pm

Post Re: Phillip Phillip Johnson
BlessedinMsTn wrote:
The point exactly, ,so do polygamist

Bye the way,, the Bible was not written to fit a democratic mindset.... Slavery was sanctioned in Gods Word and still is.......

However, not AMERICAN slavery which was brutal... in Bible days Masters were taught to be kind to their slaves

No different today people who work for Coca Cola are slaves to that company... in return they get enough to provide housing and food and little else.... sounds alot like slavery to me

There is no such thing as self-determination in slavery. If I work for Coca Cola, and Pepsi offers me a better salary, I weigh the options and decide if it is better to stay with Coca Cola or go work for Pepsi.
4/17/08 1:56 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic