Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Watchnight Service?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

New Year's Eve Watchnight Service
My church is having one, but I won't be there.
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
My church is having one and I plan on being there.
23%
 23%  [ 18 ]
My church is not having one, but I wish that it was.
12%
 12%  [ 10 ]
My church is not having one, and I'm glad.
61%
 61%  [ 47 ]
Total Votes : 77

Message Author
Post Re: Pastor Gary,, lets tear out a few mor pages Pastor Gary
Pastor Gary wrote:
BlessedinMsTn wrote:
I'm gonna list an entire cadray of scriptures that YOU can tear out since you accuse me of doing the same over the one scripture youve given out of context.

Too funny! Laughing Laughing Laughing
You dealt with the context of all kinds of scriptures... except you ignored what you, yourself, copied and pasted about the passage in question. I wonder why?
Wink

Romans 14 deals with judging people on NON-ESSENTIALS: "Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters."

You opened this can of Theological worms by suggesting that the REAL Christians would be at a watchnight service, unlike those lesser mortals who chose to do something else... in other words, passing judgment on disputable matters, unless, of course, you can provide us some scripture that commands attendance at a New Years' prayer meeting.

12/31/07 4:18 pm

Post No, but I can provide BlessedinMsTn
a host of scriptures that teach us to love his appearing and that not to forsake our assembling EVEN MORE as we see the day approaching... the entire attitude of finding sometheing better to do than come into his presence for a New Years service, speaks of the spiritual condition of men
12/31/07 4:31 pm

Post Re: No, but I can provide Pastor Gary
BlessedinMsTn wrote:
a host of scriptures that teach us to love his appearing and that not to forsake our assembling EVEN MORE as we see the day approaching... the entire attitude of finding sometheing better to do than come into his presence for a New Years service, speaks of the spiritual condition of men

And your scriptural support for condemning others for "forsaking" something not commanded in scripture?

If I started a 2:00 AM prayer service and implied that you were forsaking the assembling by not doing likewise, would that not be the same as you saying people who don't feel it necessary to attend a cultural, not scriptural, New Years' Eve meeting are in bad spiritual condition?

Poppycock. Balderdash. Spiritually manipulative nonsense.

No sale.
12/31/07 4:45 pm

Post and Pastor BlessedinMsTn
Since you are a Pastor and I was a member of your congregation and you were trying to promote a desire for the things of God and his church and I told you that tonight I was going to attend a concert rather than a prayer service....... and I asked you which should I choose to attend

Your reply to me would be?
12/31/07 5:13 pm

Post Re: and Pastor Pastor Gary
BlessedinMsTn wrote:
Since you are a Pastor and I was a member of your congregation and you were trying to promote a desire for the things of God and his church and I told you that tonight I was going to attend a concert rather than a prayer service....... and I asked you which should I choose to attend

Your reply to me would be?

My reply would be the same as what I always give: I am a pastor, not a dictator. I refuse to coerce, condemn, manipulate, use Christianese guilt-trips, arm-twisting or scripture-twisting to get people to follow my leadership.

Leaders don't have to; they inspire, motivate and model.

Enjoy the concert, party or movie. Jesus won't love you one bit less, and He won't love you one bit more if you attend a watchnight service.
12/31/07 6:08 pm

Post I'm kind of sorry I suggested the thread/poll roughridercog
I didn't want this to turn into a spat back and forth. I was just curious to see what the attitudes were among believers regarding watch night services.
12/31/07 7:23 pm

Post Re: I'm kind of sorry I suggested the thread/poll Pastor Gary
roughridercog wrote:
I didn't want this to turn into a spat back and forth. I was just curious to see what the attitudes were among believers regarding watch night services.

It's not a spat -- it is an essential disagreement in emphasis. Wink

I believe everything we do, including our recreation and "down time" belongs to God, and He is glorified in our everyday, ordinary lives as well as in our corporate assemblies. Others see "normal life" and "church life" as in competition with one another and a litmus test of spirituality.
12/31/07 7:29 pm

Post Psalms
I just came home from my church's watch night service....it was awesome! I was glad that I went just as I usually am.

I did the same thing as a kid but have to admit it wasn't all that wonderful at 10 and 11....especially as my birthday is New Year's Day. I remember sitting all night while the adults were having foot washings and communion while I stared at the clock watching to see how many more minutes till my birthday.... Laughing

But, I didn't encounter any drunks on the way home tonight....probably were some out there but I didn't notice any. Just came home blessed after having a good time in the Lord and being with my church family.
Acts-celerater
1/1/08 1:19 am

Post Watchnight Pastor Gary
Psalms wrote:
I just came home from my church's watch night service....it was awesome! I was glad that I went just as I usually am.

Well. even though I have been gently debating BlessedinMsTn on this topic, I will tell you one of the reasons we stayed in tonight: one of my members lost her husband not long ago. He was a dear friend of mine, and she is hurting horribly from loneliness and loss. We are having her over so she will be with friends and not just cry herself to sleep in a silent house.

Holidays are not happy for everyone.
1/1/08 1:38 am

Post And............ Daniel Rushing
Blessed still hasn't responded to Romans 14. Confused Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
1/1/08 4:34 am

Post Psalms
Pastor Gary, wasn't trying to get into the debate or take sides, just wanted to post that our service was good.

Sounds like you did the right thing. My condolences to you on the loss of your friend. It was a thoughtful thing to be with her through this time of loss.
Acts-celerater
1/1/08 2:58 pm

Post Daniel Rushing BlessedinMsTn
I have responded to Romans.. you failed to notice

This passage is frequently abused by those who have the ecumenical philosophy. It is said that this verse forbids us to expose sin and error and compromise. The verse is also used to support the doctrine that Scripture can be divided into fundamental or essential and non-fundamental or secondary doctrine.

Thus, Romans 14 is discussing how we are to deal with matters NOT CLEARLY TAUGHT IN SCRIPTURE. In matters in which God has not plainly spoken, I am to give liberty.
On the other hand, in matters in which God has plainly spoken, the only liberty is to obey. People use Romans 14:4 to defend many areas of plain disobedience, such as worldly music, long hair on men, immodest dress on women, etc. Since the Bible has spoken plainly about these matters, it is a misuse to apply Romans 14:4.

You are missing the mark by a great distance in your understanding of this passage.
1/1/08 3:26 pm

Post Penni... Yo Dude
I have been to many Watchnight services. I used to really enjoy them. But over time, they have become "busy work"--just something else to do so it looks like church.

Used to, you could get a big crowd to come out. Today, at least in my world, you get a handful.

Further, being old-school, we don't do that "1-hour service" stuff. Nope, it began at, say, 7:30 and it went until after midnight, and then sometimes a breakfast after that.

But over the years--especially with the rise in the awareness of drunk drivers on that night--parents began to be hesitant about going out on that night. AND I DON'T BLAME THEM!

If you had asked me this question 20 years ago, it would have been "We're having it and I'm going." Today, the answer is "We're not having it, and I'm glad."
Acts-dicted
1/1/08 3:29 pm

Post Re: Daniel Rushing Pastor Gary
BlessedinMsTn wrote:
You are missing the mark by a great distance in your understanding of this assage.

Do you mean I should bow to your superior intellect and Biblical education?

According to your post, then, you are alleging that God has commanded attendance at watchnight services (still waiting for chapter and verse), making it something you have a right to judge?

Again, friend, that is so patently ridiculous that it strains credulity, and you dig your hole deeper with each post. Laughing
1/1/08 4:40 pm

Post Re: I'm kind of sorry I suggested the thread/poll Steve LaFever
roughridercog wrote:

I suggest that one have "watchnight" at 12:00 NOON, rather than midnight. In the U.S., at least, it IS midnight at some place in the world at that time. The watchNIGHT could then be done symbolically, rather than actual. It would be much safer at that time, versus midnight. While I agree that people are drunk any day of the year, it is much more prevelant on New Years, thus safety is much more of an issue.

However, I also think it is a good time to spend with family. Perhaps the last Sunday in December could be reserved for prayer for the following year. It would accomplish symbolism of Watchnight and also allow people more time with their families. In today's maddening pace of life, family time is cut short, too often.
1/3/08 10:03 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic