Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Update on dedicating an unwed mothers' baby...Comments?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post throughtheflood
OK, I agree that dedication does not assure that the baby will grow up to be an anointed vessel for the Lord. However I do not see how bringing the child before the church for prayer is wrong. Is the real fear that by doing this it will appear that you are condoning the mother's life choice? Isn't an admonition always made to the parent/parents presenting the child? Isn't the responsibility of keeping promises made at the dedication falling back on the parent? Perhaps the sight of the child will be so imprinted on believers hearts until they will pick up the slack by nurturing this baby and keeping it in their daily prayers. I'm glad I don't have to meet a certain criteria to be prayed for by others. Man, I'd never be good enough! Just my thoughts. Acts-celerater
3/27/06 6:09 pm

Post Re: But aren't child dedications really parental dedications singer4him
Pastor Gary wrote:
In your tradition, in the culture and place you live all Baby Dedications are basically ceremonies in which the PARENT'S are charged with good parenting.

In respect to my Blackberry and Treo friends, I'll make this brief. Smile I see what you're saying but I would have to say that it is more than charging them with good parenting. I know many "good parents" who are not Godly parents. They are good mothers and fathers who care very much for their children but they are not believers. I would say that in our culture it is more charging them to bring their children up in a Godly home and to instill Godly values within the child. This would include ensuring that they are in a Bible believing church. I hope that this clears up any misunderstanding. Sunshine
Acts-celerater
3/27/06 6:25 pm

Post I just did a Baby Blessing for two unwed parents. ALA
I told them I was glad to do it for them.

I used the time to talk to the parents about their need to obey God and have a relationship with Him. I told the dad that he needed to be a providing father by getting a job and serving the Lord. I told them that for the child to have continued blessing on her that they both need to serve the Lord.

I then prayed a beautiful pray of blessing on the baby.

My sermon that morning was "You must be born again."

This is the second time I have done a baby dedication for unwed parents. I will continue to do them, but
I will always speak the truth with boldness. They are bringing their child to God..... What is God telling them? He is telling them the truth. He loves them and in Him they will have a blessed life and a blessed child.
3/28/06 12:46 pm

Post I'm a Flip Flopper Brenda
And NO.. I am not related to Kerry or Bush.

I'm for the babies dedication even if the mother had this child out of wed lock and is still not married.
(This child can't help how he/she came into the world.)
Any amount of prayer for this child I'm sure will be and is needed as with any child.

But, I think a lot of young mothers believe that a child should get the blessings of God on it. If not through baptizing then the dedication which to them is the next best thing.
I've seen TOO many mothers who bring their child to church to be dedicated and hardly ever come to church after that. The minister feels compelled to go with the wishes of the mother because for (one) she ask him to and (two) she was either raised in that church or her parents go there.

I think when they are wanting their child to be dedicated they need to know what God is requiring from them.
And the greatest of that requirement is to "raise them up in the fear and admonishing of the Lord." To be an example to them.

To many of them if they haven't gave their heart 100% to the Lord get the child dedicated and go on about their sinful life structure.

They need to realize that they made an oath an agreement before God to take this child to church and teach and train it in the ways of God.
But like I said, too many of them or selfish and want what they want.. not giving heed to what is being put into this child's mind. A child's mind is like a sponge and its up to the parents what that mind soaks up.

Training still starts at home.
Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
3/28/06 1:55 pm

Post Re: Update on dedicating an unwed mothers' baby...Comments? BamaKid
I believe that you were totally in line with what Jesus would do. How many times did Christ forgive and cleanse someone and then tell them to go and sin no more. I believe that any pastor with any sense of compassion would have done the same thing. Very Happy
Circuit Riding Preacher wrote:
I posted a question about would any of you and how would you go about dedicating a child born to an unwed mother. Most of you just took issue with the fact that I used the legal term illegitimate.

This is what I decided to do. I sat down with the young lady and told her that I would gladly dedicate her newborn baby once we settled 2 issues.

Issue #1 - I needed to know that she had experienced a time of repentance with God as to how the baby was conceived. I know that men and women decide when they will be intimate but God decided when to create life. However, I cannot gloss over the fact that her child is a result of a sinful act, premarital sex. And I think that before she stands before the church and before God and vows to raise her daughter right that she needs to settle her sin with God.

Issue #2 - She needed to promise me that she would not be sexually active until she gets married. Again, it doesn't mean anything for her to dedicate her baby if she is not willing to be an example.

She is going to think about what I said and let me know if anything changes.

Do any of you agree with the way I handled this?
11/27/06 11:46 pm

Post Re: Whos' being blessed Holzman
kyeagle wrote:
Who is being dedicated or blessed. The mother or the baby?

By refusing the baby this blessing, it's like throwing the baby out with the bath water.

I've seen whole families come to God through Baby Dedications. What if the pastor refused to dedicate the baby based on the mother's past discretions?

no worries, the baby wouldnt be refused a blessing because some preacher man decides its not right to do it. and she nor the baby need a preacher to bless them in order for them to be blessed. Paul says "we have been blessed (past tense, already has happened) with all spiritual blessings.
2/18/07 9:36 pm

Post onetruegod
Jesus did heal and then told them to go and sin no more. Not the other way around. He didn't put conditions on the blessing. He didn't say get yourself straight, then I'll bless you. Yes, the baby dedication is charging not only the parents, but the congregation, to uphold this child in prayer and raise this child right. But it is also a time of blessing the child. All through the bible we read the power of blessing that the father places on a child. But no worries to this young mother, whether or not a "man of god" decides to dedicate her baby or not - This mother by herself can dedicate her child to God. I wouldn't want to stand before God one day and be held accountable for such a selfish act as not dedicating a baby. It sounds to be like the focus is more on what the pastor believes people will think of him if he does this. Not dedicating her baby, or putting too many conditions on this may indeed push her further away from the church, and that is the last thing we should want. Way too much I have seen the church hold peoples past sins against them, instead of simply loving them and allowing God to do the work. We should take every opportunity to plant seeds of love and kindness, seeds of blessings in peoples lives. What harm will it do to dedicate this child? That is the question that I am posing. Friendly Face
7/29/07 1:45 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic