Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Why do people believe Christians act badly at restaurants?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Why do people believe Christians act badly at restaurants? Nature Boy Florida
It seems to be "common knowledge" that Christians are the worst at tipping, rudest, biggest complainers in restaurants.

But is it true?

And how do they know the folks claim to be Christians?

Who says "I am a Christian - and this waitress will get no tip from me!"

Is it only Sunday afternoon that the worst crowds come in?

I just don't understand how this stat is compiled. But I hear it repeated often.
1/2/24 8:30 am

Post Re: Why do people believe Christians act badly at restaurants? Link
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
It seems to be "common knowledge" that Christians are the worst at tipping, rudest, biggest complainers in restaurants.

But is it true?

And how do they know the folks claim to be Christians?

Who says "I am a Christian - and this waitress will get no tip from me!"

Is it only Sunday afternoon that the worst crowds come in?

I just don't understand how this stat is compiled. But I hear it repeated often.

I have heard of some people leaving tracts instead of tips, or maybe it's tracts and really low tips.
Acts-perienced Poster
1/2/24 10:20 am

Post Re: Why do people believe Christians act badly at restaurants? Cojak
Link wrote:
Nature Boy Florida wrote:

But is it true?

I have heard of some people leaving tracts instead of tips, or maybe it's tracts and really low tips.

The tracts I know have happened. Remember the fake $5 bill with the 1/2 showing the $5 the other part being a tract. I KNOW some have left that by itself considering it evangelizing. I have actually left a liberal tip inside that same tract,

when I have eaten out at Camp Meetings and the Assembly I have noticed the folks I am with tip well, maybe not double etc, but they always left a GOOD tip. I believe it is the same old story, one rotten apple seems to spoil the rest.
BUT this is a good subject... Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/2/24 8:01 pm

Post FLRon
Reminds me of the time my wife and I had breakfast with another couple at Bob Evan’s. I told them I’d get the tip, and when I left the cash on the table the other husband picked up some of it because he said it was too much. I was too shocked to say anything, but that was the one and only time I ate with them in a restaurant.

One of my daughters remarked more than once that she hated when the church crowd came in because they were lousy tippers. I personally believe it stems from a sense of elitist entitlement that some professing Christians have. I’m here to be served——-now get to it!
1/4/24 3:21 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
I am only one person, so I can’t make a generalization from this, but from my experience of being a PK and becoming a pastor as an adult for a total of over 50 years being involved in ministry including going out to eat with church folks more times than I can count, my dad, granddad, uncle, cousins (all pastors) as well as working on staff with several pastors, I can say with the Lord as my witness that we have ALWAYS tipped and tipped well. This has been emphasized by all the ministers I have dined with. I have also never seen waitstaff being treated with anything but respect by our party in the countless times I have dined out with fellow Christians. To me, it is a question of honoring the Lord and anyone who serves.

Of course, ‘everybody’ also ‘knows’ that the church is full of hypocrites, so presumption could be a major factor in the assertion that church folks are rude and don’t tip.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/4/24 9:33 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
I am only one person, so I can’t make a generalization from this, but from my experience of being a PK and becoming a pastor as an adult for a total of over 50 years being involved in ministry including going out to eat with church folks more times than I can count, my dad, granddad, uncle, cousins (all pastors) as well as working on staff with several pastors, I can say with the Lord as my witness that we have ALWAYS tipped and tipped well. This has been emphasized by all the ministers I have dined with. I have also never seen waitstaff being treated with anything but respect by our party in the countless times I have dined out with fellow Christians. To me, it is a question of honoring the Lord and anyone who serves.

Of course, ‘everybody’ also ‘knows’ that the church is full of hypocrites, so presumption could be a major factor in the assertion that church folks are rude and don’t tip.

Agreed. I truly don't know where this comes from.
1/4/24 12:55 pm

Post UncleJD
People like to generalize. It makes for good story lines and pushes an agenda. There is no way that Christians are the worst tippers, etc.. In fact, I remember a study not many years ago that found that liberal democrats were the least giving sector in America. That said, it is usually Christians that everyone watches when it comes to things like this. So I don't doubt that some bad apples make us all look bad. I personally try to give to my wait staff as unto the Lord knowing they need it. I try to always be a blessing, and I'm sure most Christians do the same. Again, a few bad apples out there, I know. Some have an attitude like my dad used to, "I only give God 10%, I'm not giving them more than God". I think he actually heard this from another Christian and it somehow made sense to him until I pointed out that he gives God 10% on everything he makes, he's not being asked to tithe to the waiter, then I pointed out that the guy/gal are only getting aroun $2 an hour from their pay, so we have the opportunity to set their salary based on how good they do. I have a minimum tip ammount I give ($5) even when my meal, say breakfast, is only $5 total, I'll give $5 because I don't like the idea of a nice young person working hard for 30 minutes for only $1 (20% of smaller tabs). More to the point we should give because we're blessed just like at church, those people need to feed someone, if its just themselves, I hate the idea that I'm eating like a king and they can't afford beans and cornbread. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
1/4/24 4:18 pm

Post Da Sheik
It's called The Mandela Effect.

I promise it's not only the church folks who behave badly in public.
Acts Enthusiast
1/8/24 10:53 am

Post because they do Rafael D Martinez
My ex wife and I were enjoying a meal at Denny's and trying to be winsome to the waitress who was not a believer and who we were building a relationship with and sharing the Lord with her. This was many moons ago.

Until she came to us one night with a puzzled frown and asked why a table full of Lee students from one of the Social Service Clubs the evening before ordered tons of food and then tried to walk out without paying her. She couldn't understand how "Christian" students could act that way.

She knew I was a COG minister and a former Lee student. She asked a good question. I never did see her again afterwards, sadly.

Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth? Galatians 4:16

These are trying times. Everyone's trying something and getting caught. The Church Lady, 1987
Acts-dicted
1/11/24 6:21 pm

Post Re: because they do Nature Boy Florida
Rafael D Martinez wrote:
My ex wife and I were enjoying a meal at Denny's and trying to be winsome to the waitress who was not a believer and who we were building a relationship with and sharing the Lord with her. This was many moons ago.

Until she came to us one night with a puzzled frown and asked why a table full of Lee students from one of the Social Service Clubs the evening before ordered tons of food and then tried to walk out without paying her. She couldn't understand how "Christian" students could act that way.

She knew I was a COG minister and a former Lee student. She asked a good question. I never did see her again afterwards, sadly.

I'm sure that story is true.

But I suspect the same happens near the University of Alabama.

A bunch of college students - trying to beat the system.

And just because they attend or work at Lee - doesn't make someone a Christian.

My point is - we are told that the "Christians" supposedly are the most likely ones to do this - and I don't think it is true.

I think it is less likely Christians do this - because there are some true believers out here.

And, Raf, since you pointed out a problem with how students behave from Lee - a Tennessee investigative committee is being formed as that is "conduct unbecoming a minister" to point that out.

Twisted Evil
1/12/24 7:11 am

Post A few thoughts Aaron Scott
Some ministers are from a time and place where "a buck or two" was a decent tip...and they simply have not grown with the times. I know that when we go through a drive-thru and the cost is, say, $35, I'm aghast! My mind is still locked into the time when a drive-thru meal was, maybe, a shade over $20. You get the idea.

I do like the Uncle JD's notion of a MINIMUM tip. That's something I'll try to incorporate. I tend to round UP that bill, then give at least 20% (rounding up to an even amount, unless they have one of those boxes things to check).

Some people are just blind to the fact that people work for a living and they are not helping out.

Other folks, I think, may just be living a little closer to the vest and are tighter with their money than others.

I had an uncle who was incredible generous. We were up in Cleveland for the Christmas holidays and he had a job where he had to bust all the old floor in a manufacturing factor so that new concrete could be poured. He had my dad, my brother, my brother-in-law, and my sister (if I recall correctly) work through the night, cutting concrete, busting concrete, etc., and him using his Bobcat to haul it out.

He gave me $500 for a night's work--less than 8 hours, I believe. I had to have made $60 or $70 an hour, I suppose. No wonder he was so beloved--he was just generous.

I take it that when we do unto others as we would have them do unto us...we are sending a signal to heaven that we are trying to walk in obedience. No, we shouldn't be poor stewards of our money, but we should be generous. To my wife's aggravation (she is much more financially minded than I am), about every time I have sold a truck or car--especially if to a minister--I tend to, at the last moment, just spontaneously drop off a couple hundred buck or the such--telling them to fill up with gas.

It's not that I don't need the money (well, I don't, but you get the point); it's that I love being generous. I don't HAVE to be generous--I GET TO BE GENEROUS! What a joy to give to the Lord in tithes and offerings! What a delight to be partnered with God in the greatest endeavor in all of human history: Reaching those on the Dunkirk of Hell.

Further, I love it when people are generous with me or my church (THANK YOU--YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE). What a joy to tell my folks that there are people who have never even been in service with us, but they just love the Lord enough to send us a generous offering. Believe me, it makes an encouraging difference.

Lastly, I try to tip even if the waiter/ress didn't do that great a job. Why? Because as a preacher, I know what it's like to have an off day. Or an off week. Or month. You never know what the previous customers put the waitress through...or what he or she is enduring in life. If someone is outright rude to me--I don't recall this ever happening in particular--I might see things differently, but in the meantime, I'd rather be a Son of Encouragement to folks.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/12/24 3:44 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Hey, the ole timer has been with preachers out eatin an all, an was plumb ashamed at how some of em acted.

Demanded stuff of the waitress
Complainin over ridiculous stuff
Tellin the waitress they was preachers, like they deserved special treatment

An they has been times when the group left, the ole timer lingered behind and apologized to the waitress for their behavior and gave her a larger tip.

Some preachers is shameful.
Acts-pert Poster
1/12/24 11:37 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic