Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Those Rascally Nephilim
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Those Rascally Nephilim FG Minister
Who are they? Where'd they come from? How'd they get here? Can angelic beings procreate with humans? Just want to hear some of the arguments. My associate pastor and I have two different views. Looking for others. Acts-celerater
5/9/23 2:36 pm

Post Re: Those Rascally Nephilim UncleJD
FG Minister wrote:
Who are they? Where'd they come from? How'd they get here? Can angelic beings procreate with humans? Just want to hear some of the arguments. My associate pastor and I have two different views. Looking for others.

fun topic. I don't have time right now to put together all my scriptural basis (though I have before), but suffice it to say, even if they weren't part of Jewish Mysticism and really were the "giants" of Genesis, then they wouldn't have survived the flood and became the Goliath's of the world. the "sons of God" rather than angels, are the line of Seth, the 'daughters of men', are the decendents of Cain. Angels can't procreate (at least there's no scriptural basis for it), and "giants" is interpreted literally in the same sentence the word is used in as "men of renown", in the same way we use the term today. "He was a 'giant' of the faith", it wasn't meant a physically large, half-angel, demonic creature.

Another fun topic that I've introduced before is "Who the devil is Lucifer?" (i.e. is it really scriptural that Satan is Lucifer? Or was he the king of Tyre?)
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
5/9/23 4:45 pm

Post Re: Those Rascally Nephilim Old Time Country Preacher
UncleJD wrote:
the "sons of God" rather than angels, are the line of Seth, the 'daughters of men', are the decendents of Cain

At ain't what Chuck Missler or Perry Stone said...
Acts-pert Poster
5/14/23 8:49 pm

Post Re: Those Rascally Nephilim UncleJD
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
UncleJD wrote:
the "sons of God" rather than angels, are the line of Seth, the 'daughters of men', are the decendents of Cain

At ain't what Chuck Missler or Perry Stone said...
no, because its not "sexy" theories (like Ivermectin is God's 'natural' cure for Covid) But we need to recall the reason that Genesis was written was to show why the Jews were special and separated from the rest of humanity in the first place. The line of Seth is clearly God's chosen line, continued in the only non-corrupted (by the son's of men) line of Noah and eventually Abraham through Shem. The idea that there are hidden meanings and such are Jewish Mysticism, aka Kabbalah.
5/15/23 8:54 am

Post Da Sheik
As odd as it sounds to us, the original text literally describes a union between the “sons of God” (always angels in the Old Testament) and the “daughters of
Adam” (in Hebrew “men”=Adam). Even the daughters of Seth would be considered daughters of Adam. When you consider Satan’s motive behind such an action, one need only look at the first prophecy of a Messiah:

Genesis 3:15 (KJV) And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

At this point all Satan knows is that his defeat will come by means of the “seed of the woman”. To corrupt the genetics of humanity would be a means of stopping the prophecy dead in its tracks. It seems outrageous to us, but this is the way the apostles would have interpreted Genesis 6.
Acts Enthusiast
5/21/23 6:05 pm

Post UncleJD
Da Sheik wrote:
As odd as it sounds to us, the original text literally describes a union between the “sons of God” (always angels in the Old Testament) and the “daughters of
Adam” (in Hebrew “men”=Adam). Even the daughters of Seth would be considered daughters of Adam. When you consider Satan’s motive behind such an action, one need only look at the first prophecy of a Messiah:

Genesis 3:15 (KJV) And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

At this point all Satan knows is that his defeat will come by means of the “seed of the woman”. To corrupt the genetics of humanity would be a means of stopping the prophecy dead in its tracks. It seems outrageous to us, but this is the way the apostles would have interpreted Genesis 6.

So why does the New Testament call Adam "the son of God" then? You're saying they would have believed him to be an angel too?
5/22/23 8:12 am

Post Da Sheik
UncleJD wrote:
So why does the New Testament call Adam "the son of God" then? You're saying they would have believed him to be an angel too?

No Sir, in my earlier post I mentioned that "sons of God" is an Old Testament designation used of angels exclusively. They are "sons" in the sense that they were directly created by God. In the NT, the Greek term "sons of God" is applied to other entities besides angels, but the common element is that of being directly created by God. I assume you're quoting from Luke 3:38. Adam was directly created by God. If you notice in the same passage, Seth is the son of Adam (as are all subsequent humans by birth).

Christ is the only "begotten" Son of God. Believers are called children of God by means of regeneration, not by natural birth. The Flood was a unique judgment in the history of mankind. It was not the result of the marriage of believers and unbelievers. If that were the case, we would expect a worldwide deluge (or similar destructive event) in each subsequent generation. The text does not say the "sons of Seth married the daughters of Cain". The sons of God saw the daughters of Adam, that they were fair.

For those that espouse the Sethite view, I suppose all of the Sethite women were too ugly so they had to go for those Cainite women. See how the argument weakens when you take it to its logical conclusions? Let's not forget the other elephant in the room: if the "sons of Seth" were so godly, why did they all die in the Flood except for Noah and his crew?
Acts Enthusiast
5/22/23 12:54 pm

Post UncleJD
Da Sheik wrote:
[ ... Let's not forget the other elephant in the room: if the "sons of Seth" were so godly, why did they all die in the Flood except for Noah and his crew?

I suppose it was because they looked on the daughters of man, etc... I was taught there was a single thread of redemption from Adam to Christ, so yeah, most of Seth's sons fell away except Noah's line

I guess my problem with the angels thing is why would demons be called "sons of God" when its convenient to a story, but not at other times? Why wouldn't the demons do it today? If they were suddenly forbidden to after the flood, then why wouldn't God have known they were going to do it earlier and forbid it then? To me, it has always seemed like a house of cards and seems to always be peddled by shock-jocks wanting to sell a book or at least get some buzz going.

Anyways, I see your point of view and that's ok, its not a hill to die on for me.
5/22/23 3:40 pm

Post Da Sheik
UncleJD wrote:
Anyways, I see your point of view and that's ok, its not a hill to die on for me.

I appreciate that, and same here. When you connect the Genesis account with passages in I Peter, 2 Peter, and Jude you can begin to connect all the dots and realize that something sinister (satanic) was at work in this story. This was something far beyond the normal realm of sinful activity. This was so diabolical that God had to drown the whole world.

In my research, I was astonished to learn that the "Sons of God" as angels was the dominant interpretation of Genesis 6 until men like Augustine and Chrysostom. The phrase "the daughters of men" in English is in Hebrew "bnot ha-adam". This is a generic term for women in general that would encompass both Cainites and female Sethites. There is no justification for interpreting the phrase to mean "ungodly women". The reference is simply "womankind".

Just something to chew on...
Acts Enthusiast
5/22/23 4:15 pm

Post Da Sheik
The original post alluded to the Nephilim and I have yet to address that. We have to ascertain how the Nephilim came into being. The obvious clue is within the context of the passage :

“The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men, and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown.”
Genesis 6:4 NASB1995

They are the offspring of the sons of God and the daughters of men (whatever those terms mean to you). It would appear from the verbiage used that the product of this union were “mighty men” (Hebrew is ‘gibor’). What made them mighty and why were they all males ?
Acts Enthusiast
5/22/23 5:44 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
If angels are spirits (Psalm 104:4; quoted in the NT in Heb. 1:7), and, according to the very Son of God Himself, angels neither marry nor are given in marriage, and further, according to Jesus’ own words (which He said shall never pass away), people were “marrying and being given in marriage” before the Flood, until it came and they perished (Matt 24:37-39), how then can we say angels, which are spirits, actually did become flesh and blood and did in fact marry, and the entire reason for the Flood was this supposed hybridization with fallen angels and not mankind’s own wickedness and rebellion?

Further, as Jesus said the time around His second coming would be “as it was in the days of Noah,” and only warns His disciples to watch and be alert spiritually so that those days do not come upon them unaware, why didn’t He at least say anything like, “And make sure you don’t ever mate with angels, because that’s what brought the judgment of the Great Flood?”

How do two separate species, one of which are expressly stated in Scripture to be spirits, and the other expressly stated in Scripture to be flesh and blood, physically copulate and produce fertile offspring? Genesis expressly says that each created kind produced after its kind.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/22/23 6:38 pm

Post Da Sheik
Matthew 22:30  For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven. 

In the passage, I emphasized the point that the elect/holy angels (in Heaven) neither marry nor are given in marriage. Genesis is not speaking of the holy angels, but rather of the fallen angels. Further, your argument about "producing after its kind" fails to take this into consideration. Angels don't produce after their kind- they do not give birth to other angels. What we see in Genesis 6 is something completely unnatural (hence the grotesque offspring and the need for a worldwide deluge!).

Angels are never referred to in the female gender. When they appear in Scripture, they always appear as young men. If you read Genesis 19:5 the men of Sodom obviously thought they could have relations with the angels who appeared. Lot's response was not "what an absurd idea" but rather "do not act wickedly". The New Testament gives us some insight into this time period and what transpired. Let's take a look at Jude:

Jud 1:6  And angels who did not keep their own domain, but abandoned their proper abode, He has kept in eternal bonds under darkness for the judgment of the great day, 
Jud 1:7  just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities around them, since they in the same way as these indulged in gross immorality and went after strange flesh, are exhibited as an example in undergoing the punishment of eternal fire. 

If you will notice carefully, Jude links the sins of the fallen angels with the sins of Sodom. In both instances, an unnatural/abnormal union took place (hence the term "strange flesh"). The Nephilim were not simply the result of an "unequal yoke" by humans.

1Pe 3:19  in which also He went and made proclamation to the spirits now in prison, 
1Pe 3:20  who once were disobedient, when the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through the water.  (NASB1995)

Again, we see these spirits (fallen angels)) are linked with the days of Noah and the flood. What was the proclamation to these spirits? I believe it was Christ announcing to these guys that their plans to keep the Messiah from crushing the head of the serpent had failed! We know that not all fallen angels are incarcerated (just look around!). Peter tells us a little more about the incarceration:

2Pe 2:4  For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment; 
2Pe 2:5  And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly; 

Again, these angels are linked with the days of Noah. They are currently held in a place in the Greek called "Tartaros". This is why they are unable to repeat the actions of Genesis 6. So when Jesus speaks of the "days of Noah" in the Olivet Discourse, He isn't warning about humans cohabiting with angels. They won't be able to repeat this behavior.

I have already tried to establish that the "sons of God" and "daughters of men" cannot apply to Seth's boys and Cain's girls through the original languages, so I won't address that again. Happy hunting for those who are open to seeing another perspective. Again, this was the common view among the Apostles and the early church. It wasn't until Augustine and others started promoting the Sethite theory that it gained traction. Even John MacArthur, who goes to great lengths to dismiss the supernatural, preaches Genesis 6 as I have outlined.
Acts Enthusiast
5/23/23 9:23 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
To work, your argument must say that there were angels who didn’t originate in Heaven, and thus don’t fall into the category of which Christ said neither marry nor are given in marriage, or, it must say that once they sinned and fell from Heaven, they somehow became flesh and blood and able to marry and procreate with humans.

Not sure where your comment about angels not being female is coming from. I know I have never made the assertion that angels ever appear as females in the Bible.

If holy angels were capable of sinning and becoming flesh and blood beings capable of procreating with humans, there is no logical reason why holy angels in Heaven now couldn’t do the same. If we assert that they can’t now but could then, it is inexplicably absurd why the Lord, ruler of all spirits, would not have just prevented such from happening ever. I affirm that He did prevent such, of course, in making them totally different species/kinds of moral beings.

Last edited by Quiet Wyatt on 5/23/23 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/23/23 12:06 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
It is standard Christian tradition to affirm that a number of the angels sinned with Satan in his original rebellion. It is not universal Christian tradition to say that a subsequent fall occurred in Noah’s time and involved fallen spirit beings becoming capable of procreating with humans.

The ideas of the early church fathers were not inspired like Scripture, and for Protestants especially, sola scriptura is crucially important. Augustine was quite capable of fanciful gnostic absurdities contrary to scripture, such as the idea that married sex was still sinful, though ‘venially’, that sin is natural and is passed down genetically except in the case of Mary, that all is predetermined by God (thus making God the biggest hypocrite possible), etc. I am definitely no fan of Augustine and would never appeal to his authority as a ‘doctor of the Church.’

It is also definitely not a denial of the supernatural to deny absurd spiritual theories that originate from the noncanonical Book of Enoch.

Last edited by Quiet Wyatt on 5/23/23 1:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/23/23 12:11 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Why did God say in Genesis 6 that He was sorry that he had made *mankind* because *mankind* had become thoroughly wicked by that time, and not, “I am sorry that I made these angels who turned wicked and corrupted mankind?” And why is God’s judgment pronounced and executed solely upon mankind in Genesis 6?

Surely if angels had sinned and then unnaturally corrupted mankind, they would bear the biggest part of the blame for mankind’s wickedness in that chapter, and yet we find judgment only pronounced and meted out upon *mankind* (Adam) in that chapter. A very odd exclusion, if in fact fallen angels procreating with humans was the fundamental reason God sent the Great Flood.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/23/23 12:24 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
In the first 8 verses of Genesis 6, the word “Adam,” translated as man or mankind is used to describe even these supposed angel/human hybrids. Even the “mighty men of renown,” are referred to as “ish,” the same word that is used to refer to Noah as a righteous and blameless man (ish). [Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/23/23 12:47 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
One theory I’ve come across that does seem plausible is that fallen angels (demons) inhabited or possessed the bodies of evil men who became supernaturally strong (like the demoniac of Gadara in the NT) and thus mighty though evil, greatly aggravating the wickedness in the world that then was. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/23/23 1:21 pm

Post Da Sheik
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
It is also definitely not a denial of the supernatural to deny absurd spiritual theories that originate from the noncanonical Book of Enoch.

Unless I missed something, I never cited the Book of Enoch as a source, I simply used Scripture. You've gone into "rapid fire" mode so it's almost impossible to dialogue with that approach. As to the culpability of mankind, the Flood was God's judgment upon them. The judgment of the fallen angels I mentioned earlier- those that participated in the act are held in Tartaros- that's not Book of Enoch, that's the second epistle of Peter and Jude. You can't drown angels or demons.

As to Sola Scriptura- the Hebrew text of the bible very plainly makes the dichotomy between the sons of God (benei Elohim) and the daughters of men (bnot- ha Adam). You choose to make it read "sons of Seth" and "daughters of Cain" but that simply won't do my friend. Both Seth's daughters and Cain's are the "daughters of Adam". The term "sons of God" in the Old Testament is a technical term reserved for angels and never used of human in the OT.

The OT bible of the early Church was the Septuagint. This is the version the Apostles would have used and been familiar with. Notice how the Septuagint renders texts that refer to the "sons of God" in the Book of Job:

Job 1:6  And it came to pass on a day, that behold, the angels of God came to stand before the Lord, and the devil came with them.

Job 2:1  And it came to pass on a certain day, that the angels of God came to stand before the Lord, and the devil came among them to stand before the Lord.

Job 38:7  When the stars were made, all my angels praised me with a loud voice. 
Acts Enthusiast
5/23/23 1:44 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I split my comments up into separate replies just to make it easier to respond point by point. Not trying to go into “rapid fire mode,” haha. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/23/23 2:11 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
My comment about the Book of Enoch was not saying you referenced it outright, but that apocryphal work is well known for promoting the fallen angels theory, among many other Jewish myths and absurdities. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/23/23 2:24 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic