Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Homosexuality and the COG
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Homosexuality and the COG Eddie Robbins
What does the Declaration of Faith and/or the practical commitments say specifically about homosexuality?

Last edited by Eddie Robbins on 5/5/22 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acts-pert Poster
5/5/22 3:22 pm

Post Re: Homosexuality and the COG roughridercog
Eddie Robbins wrote:
What does the Declaration of Faith and/or the practical commitments say about homosexuality?

It used to be that any minister convicted of homosexuality be disfellowshipped, have his papers revoked, and no chance for reconciliation. I don't have a current copy with mr.
5/5/22 3:24 pm

Post From the most recent CoG Minutes… Quiet Wyatt
The Declaration of Faith has no statement on sexuality.

From the Practical Commitments:

“A. Glorifying God in Our Body Our body is the temple of the Holy Ghost, and we are to glorify God in our body (Romans 12:1, 2; 1 Corinthians 6:19, 20; 10:31). We are to walk in the Spirit and not fulfill the lust of the flesh (Galatians 5:16). Examples of fleshly behavior which do not glorify God are noted in several passages of Scripture (Romans 1:24; 1 Corinthians 6:9, 10; Galatians 5:19-21; Revelation 21:8). Sinful practices which are made prominent and condemned in these scriptures include homosexuality, adultery, worldly attitudes (such as hatred, envy, jealousy), corrupt communication (such as gossip, angry outbursts, filthy words), stealing, murder, drunkenness, and witchcraft. Witchcraft has to do with the practices of the occult, which are forbidden by God and lead to the worship of Satan.” (p.25, 2018 Minutes)

From the Book of Minutes:

“II. Marriage and Same-Sex Relationships (75th A., 2014) 1. The Church of God rejects the cultural, political, and theological pressures to change the definition of marriage as being between one man and one woman. We affirm this definition based on God’s Word and the truth that Christian marriage between a man and a woman reflects the theological truth of Christ’s love for His Church. 2. Church of God ministers, whether an ordained minister or ordained bishop, shall only perform or participate in marriage ceremonies or marriage blessings between one man and one woman, as marriage is defined in the Bible. This policy also is applicable to Church of God ministers who serve in capacities outside the scope of normal pastoring, such as military, hospital, and corporate chaplains. 3. Local Church of God churches and the local Church of God ministers who serve them shall only hold, provide facilities for, conduct or preside over weddings, wedding receptions, and anniversaries (and other gatherings related to weddings, receptions, and anniversaries) that celebrate a marriage or blessing between one man and one woman, as marriage is defined in the Bible. 4. Church of God ministers shall maintain a Christlike attitude of love, mercy, and grace, when counseling or otherwise dealing with individuals in same-gender relationships. A Christlike spirit will maintain the truth of God’s Word, the policies of the church, and avoid inappropriate remarks or attitudes that do not reflect the Holy Spirit. 5. Church of God ministers shall seek to find godly counselors to whom they can refer individuals in same-gender relationships for additional ministry and guidance. 6. Failure of Church of God ministers to adhere to these Biblically based guidelines will result in forfeiture of ministerial credentials.” (p.106-107, 2018 Book of Minutes)
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/5/22 7:28 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Thank you! Acts-pert Poster
5/6/22 3:45 am

Post Re: From the most recent CoG Minutes… Old Time Country Preacher
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Sinful practices which are made prominent and condemned in these scriptures include homosexuality ... [and] ... angry outbursts.

Sonnnnnn, this here puts a whole different take on it. So, all em preachers whats guilty a angry outbursts an all is just as guilty as a feller practicin all at homosexual stuff. My My My.............
Acts-pert Poster
5/6/22 7:09 pm

Post FLRon
I’ve never agreed with the COG position that a homosexual could never be considered for ministerial license. The sin of homosexuality is not THE one and only unforgivable sin, yet the COG has certainly implied that it is. This poor attitude had been adopted by countless COG ministers, most of whom are reluctant to reach out to the homosexual.

Another thing: why has the COG chosen the sin of homosexuality to be the worst possible sin, when in fact it is no worse than adultery, murder, alcoholism, or gluttony. It is detestable but so are the other sins I mentioned. Are we to believe that God considers one sin more heinous than others, especially considering his own son died for EVERY sinner?

I’m not buying it. I’m fine with COG leadership reaffirming that God’s plan for marriage is one man and one woman. With that, however, there needs to be an emphasis placed on reaching those who live otherwise.
5/6/22 8:12 pm

Post Thank you FlRon excellentposter
I am touched by your deep concern and passion for the homosexuals. Would you please help us understand how we can minister to these folk by telling us what you are doing in your outreach to them?
Thank you so much.
Friendly Face
5/7/22 7:44 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Scripturally, homosexual acts are different because they are contrary to nature.

That said, I have never heard that a former homosexual could not be credentialed in the CoG. It is plain in the Minutes that a CoG credentialed minister who is found guilty of committing a homosexual act loses his credentials permanently. I don’t see personally any biblical reason why such could not be restored to ministry, though I would imagine it would be a difficult climb to once again be considered blameless, which is the scriptural standard for all Christian ministers.

I have been in the CoG 32 years of my life, and in the AG (which has the same stance on ministers who commit sodomy or lesbianism) for almost 20 years prior to joining the CoG. In neither denomination have I heard homosexuality taught as unpardonable or irredeemable (divorce and remarriage seemed unpardonable though). Homosexuality was definitely a topic of special condemnation from most of the ministers I heard growing Up though. I get the distinct impression now that our stance against many kinds of sin is not nearly as emphasized as it was in the past.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/7/22 9:05 am

Post It's in the Declaration of Faith! Aaron Scott
"Holiness to be God's standard of living for His people."

While a FORMER homosexual can be licensed (after all, we don't ask about people's sexuality to get a license), if a licensed minister falls into homosexual sin, it is my understanding that they cannot hold credentials with us again.

The truth is that some sins ARE worse than others. While ALL sins will send you to hell, it is clear in the scriptures that some sins had greater penalties than others. Murder was judged more harshly than killing someone's cow. You get the idea.

Homosexuality is a sin that is shocking to the human conscience, for many of us. I still recall when I watched "Deliverance," not knowing at all what was going to happen. I rented it because it had whitewater in it, and I was into that back in the day. I was so shocked that I could not sleep that night. I was actually traumatized.

Yes, a man who has illicit sex with a female will lose their license. But I think one reason that we tend to have a lighter hand here is because, even though it is sin, it is a sin that, at least to some degree, is understandable. Homosexuality is not that sort of sin, because not only would illicit sex be bad enough, but the fact that is with the same sex makes it even worse. I guess you could almost say that it is two sins in one.

Ask yourself this: If a minister molested several children, do you think that if he repented, it would then be alright to allow him to teach children, etc.? OF COURSE NOT!

Here's the difference, I think: When a person sins, it indicates there is an area where they are tempted. There are things I am not one bit tempted over (e.g., chewing tobacco, drinking wine, getting a tattoo, wearing shorts, wearing my hair over my ears, etc. SMILE). And, again, some temptations, if fallen into, are worse than others (see above).

Here's the thing: YOU CAN SIN ABOUT ANYWAY YOU WANT, REPENT, AND BE RESTORED BEFORE GOD. But that's because God sees the heart. We cannot. We may hope that a person has really changed, but we don't let a former molester near the children--NO. MATTER. WHAT.

Now, yes, if an angel appears and tells us to, fine. But otherwise, no. There is too much at risk. And while the reputation of a church suffers if a pastor falls into adultery, it suffers even more, I think, if it's a homosexual affair.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/7/22 6:53 pm

Post Re: Homosexuality and the COG Nature Boy Florida
Eddie Robbins wrote:
What does the Declaration of Faith and/or the practical commitments say specifically about homosexuality?

Don't do it.
5/8/22 3:40 pm

Post Re: It's in the Declaration of Faith! Cojak
Aaron Scott wrote:
"Holiness to be God's standard of living for His people."

Ask yourself this: If a minister molested several children, do you think that if he repented, it would then be alright to allow him to teach children, etc.? OF COURSE NOT!

........ And, again, some temptations, if fallen into, are worse than others (see above).

And there commons sense takes over..... Yes there is a time for common sense.... Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
5/8/22 11:16 pm

Post Re: Homosexuality and the COG Eddie Robbins
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:

Don't do it.

What if I’m gay? Seriously, the whole premise behind any rule the COG or any other church has about homosexuality is moot to a gay person because they don’t interpret those scriptures like a group of straight men would. It’s not like they can repent and turn straight. They are gay. They will always be gay. So, when it is discussed as “sin,” they don’t hear it. They just move on. I assume the church is happy about that.
Acts-pert Poster
5/9/22 10:37 am

Post Eddie...I agree to a point. Aaron Scott
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:

Don't do it.

What if I’m gay? Seriously, the whole premise behind any rule the COG or any other church has about homosexuality is moot to a gay person because they don’t interpret those scriptures like a group of straight men would. It’s not like they can repent and turn straight. They are gay. They will always be gay. So, when it is discussed as “sin,” they don’t hear it. They just move on. I assume the church is happy about that.

A person who repents of homosexuality does not automatically turn straight. In fact, I am convinced that VERY FEW homosexuals who have been saved have lost same-sex attraction.

It is equally the case that a straight person who repents of sexual sin does not suddenly lose their sex drive, etc.

HOWEVER, both the straight and gay person are called to celibacy outside of marriage. And for the gay person, since gay marriage is not acceptable either, they are called to either live in complete celibacy...or marry a woman (or both, I guess).

It's not fair, in some ways. But consider that some men have a much stronger sex drive than others. And some men are hit on far more than other men. Those particular men might not feel it is fair to have to struggle so hard against temptation...while other men don't have near the issue, but that's the job.
5/9/22 1:46 pm

Post MrSippi
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Thank you!

Do you happen to know any prominent credentialed COG ministers who have violated this in the last 2 years?

2. Church of God ministers, whether an ordained minister or ordained bishop, shall only perform or participate in marriage ceremonies or marriage blessings between one man and one woman, as marriage is defined in the Bible. This policy also is applicable to Church of God ministers who serve in capacities outside the scope of normal pastoring, such as military, hospital, and corporate chaplains.
Friendly Face
5/9/22 9:38 pm

Post Re: Eddie...I agree to a point. Eddie Robbins
Aaron Scott wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:

Don't do it.

A person who repents of homosexuality does not automatically turn straight. In fact, I am convinced that VERY FEW homosexuals who have been saved have lost same-sex attraction.

It is equally the case that a straight person who repents of sexual sin does not suddenly lose their sex drive, etc.

HOWEVER, both the straight and gay person are called to celibacy outside of marriage. And for the gay person, since gay marriage is not acceptable either, they are called to either live in complete celibacy...or marry a woman (or both, I guess).

It's not fair, in some ways. But consider that some men have a much stronger sex drive than others. And some men are hit on far more than other men. Those particular men might not feel it is fair to have to struggle so hard against temptation...while
other men don't have near the issue, but that's the job.

Again, a homosexual doesn’t see the need to “repent.” They do not believe it is sinful to be the “way God created them.” And, it’s not about how and who they have sex with. It’s who they happen to love.
Acts-pert Poster
5/10/22 1:26 am

Post Eddie Robbins
MrSippi wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Thank you!

Do you happen to know any prominent credentialed COG ministers who have violated this in the last 2 years?

2. Church of God ministers, whether an ordained minister or ordained bishop, shall only perform or participate in marriage ceremonies or marriage blessings between one man and one woman, as marriage is defined in the Bible. This policy also is applicable to Church of God ministers who serve in capacities outside the scope of normal pastoring, such as military, hospital, and corporate chaplains.

I don't, however, I don’t keep up with what COG ministers are doing unless I happen to see something on social media. I am no longer in the COG.
Acts-pert Poster
5/10/22 1:28 am

Post Re: Homosexuality and the COG Nature Boy Florida
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:

Don't do it.

I believe most people that sin believe they have a good reason to do so.

Why did you punch that guy - he deserved it.
Why do you commit adultery - God gave me this drive to love women.
Why did you Mr. Pastor sleep with that secretary - GOd gave her to me as a special blessing. I'm like Solomon.
Why do you steal - I needed that item.
Why are you greedy - GOd made me love the finer things in life.
Why did you flip that person off - he cut me off.
Why do you want to have sex with minors - because 21 year olds do nothing for me.
Why do you dress as a woman - because thats what I feel like inside.
Why are you a drunk - I need the alcohol to function. I can go to AA to stop drinking - but inside I am still an alcoholic.

That's just the way God made me.

I've tried to be different - but I can't.

I don't think being gay is any different than any other drive - and most people don't truly change.

So
you can make these things normative - where they are no longer defined as deviant. And even if they are, God knows we are all sinners - and everyone is going to heaven by saying a sinners prayer

or

You can be a Calvinist - in that everyone is made a certain way - depraved or enlightened - and there is nothing you can do about it.
5/10/22 6:43 am

Post Eddie Robbins
True. Most homosexuals do not consider that they are sinners being a homosexual. So, it’s a moot point with them. No different than if I decided all red-headed people are sinners. They wouldn’t even hear me. Acts-pert Poster
5/10/22 7:38 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
It is important to note that the Bible does not recognize ‘homosexual orientation’ or ‘homosexuality’ in the modern psychological sense. Nor does the Bible confuse temptation with actual sin. The Bible forbids willful homosexual sex acts as contrary to nature and sinful. But an individual is not necessarily sinning just because he/she is being tempted to sin.

We all have temptations and even inclinations that we must keep in check if we are to be considered basically decent and moral. Placing one’s penis in an orifice designed solely for the elimination of feces is by definition indecent, filthy, unhealthy and contrary to nature.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/10/22 9:37 am

Post Eddie...I know of gays that DID see the need to be saved. Aaron Scott
There are plenty of gays who, even though they cannot explain why they feel the way the do toward the same-sex, have been raised to believe that it is sinful. And while I'm sure many do not see the need to repent, the truth, I think, is that ALL OF US, if we give in to sin (of any sort), tend to think that while, yes, it's wrong for others, God sees it differently for us, knowing that we just couldn't help it, and so He extends more grace, etc.

That's not correct, of course. But we tend to find some way to excuse ourselves when it comes to temptations that we cannot seem to get victory over--or at least do so with ease.
5/10/22 6:02 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic