Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

508c1a versus 501c3

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post 508c1a versus 501c3 Link
How many of your churches are organized as a 50...something or other.

I have been doing a bit of reading, and churches and associations of churches organized as 508c1a's do not have to give up their right to influence legislation.

If you say in a sermon that we should elect God-fearing officials, that it should not be legal to murder babies, that it should not be legal to call a union of two men or two women 'marriage', there is a chance your 501c3 status could be revoked for speaking out to influence legislation.

501c3's have to file with the IRS every year. 508c1a's do not. Either would have to file with the IRS if they pay salaries to employees, however.

Disclaimer:
I am not a lawyer, so this is what I have been reading. Do not take this as 'legal advice.'
Acts-perienced Poster
2/18/21 10:12 am

Post 508c1a MikeBarnes
Most people have never heard of 508c1a. When the full scope of what can be done under that filing vs the 501c3 designation there is no doubt the 508 is a better designation. The free speech and other issues limitations on 501 churches make the 508 much better. The problem is so many have done the 501 and it seems problematic to change after the fact. Not sure how much problem it is but there seems to be a fair amount of problems trying to change especially if you have incorporated with the 501. If we knew about the 508 before filing it would help. Thanks for putting this out there. Member
2/18/21 10:40 am

Post Re: 508c1a Link
MikeBarnes wrote:
Most people have never heard of 508c1a. When the full scope of what can be done under that filing vs the 501c3 designation there is no doubt the 508 is a better designation. The free speech and other issues limitations on 501 churches make the 508 much better. The problem is so many have done the 501 and it seems problematic to change after the fact. Not sure how much problem it is but there seems to be a fair amount of problems trying to change especially if you have incorporated with the 501. If we knew about the 508 before filing it would help. Thanks for putting this out there.

If someone knows how to do the paperwork, then it might be possible to:
- change the name of the 501c3.
- change the name of 508 to the old 501c3 name. [not sure if that would be an issue.
- the 501c3 donates all assets to the 508.
- shut the 501c3 down.

It is possible for a 508 to own a 501, for example to handle a government grant since grants restrict evangelism, and those who do such things do not want the restrictions on the whole organization.

Shutting down a 501 eliminates some filing requirements.
Acts-perienced Poster
2/18/21 12:44 pm

Post Something seems amiss... Aaron Scott
It's like saying, "You can choose the 501...which is EXACTLY THE SAME AS the 508, oh, except you cannot fully speak your mind."

Well, if that is the big difference, why in the world would ANYONE choose the 501?

I'm thinking there must be some other things that need to be considered.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/18/21 12:48 pm

Post Re: Something seems amiss... Link
Aaron Scott wrote:
It's like saying, "You can choose the 501...which is EXACTLY THE SAME AS the 508, oh, except you cannot fully speak your mind."

Well, if that is the big difference, why in the world would ANYONE choose the 501?

I'm thinking there must be some other things that need to be considered.

The tax deduction may be more 'automatic' with the 501c3, but you can get them if you give to a 501c1a, too, if I understand correctly.
Acts-perienced Poster
2/18/21 11:57 pm

Post Cojak
I didn't know most of this I am reading. BUT aren't all organizational churches registered/filed/listed uner the same 'title authorization'??? I am sure that is not worded correctly, I hope it is understood what I am asking. I am asking: Aren't all the same, such as the COG & COGOP? Confused Confused
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/19/21 10:23 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic