Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Drink Dill Pickle Juice For Leg Cramps? REALLY? Docs say...

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Drink Dill Pickle Juice For Leg Cramps? REALLY? Docs say... doyle
A Pastor friend's wife was suffering with terrible leg cramps at night; the awful kind that brought cries of pain and tears many nights. Medication had reduced the number of incidents but they still came a couple of times each week.

Shortly before she retired as an Elementary School Teacher, she shared about her painful leg cramps with a fellow teacher who is Asian. The Asian lady said that in her home country, there are amazing home remedies including one for leg cramps.

"Buy a jar of Dill Pickles," she said. "Eat the Pickles if you want, but be sure to drink at least a half cup of pickle juice every day. There are people in my family whose leg cramps stopped after a week or so of drinking pickle juice each day."

According to my Pastor friend's wife, she started drinking some Dill Pickle juice each day and in about a week and a half, her leg cramps stopped. I asked Google if Dill Pickle juice helped leg cramps and was totally shocked to
see there has been some success with it.

WARNING: The first link is a video by Dr. Berg. He warns not to buy pickle juice with added chemicals in it. Only drink the pure stuff he says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79Q_EUDlfEY

https://www.doctorshealthpress.com/food-and-nutrition-articles/drinking-pickle-juice-for-cramps-harvard-approved-salty-solution/

BECAUSE SO MANY SUFFER from horrible leg cramps, I'm passing along what she said yesterday when I was in their home. Disclaimer: I am not invested in a Dill Pickle farm, do not own stock in a Dill Pickle company, have no family or relatives who do.

Basically, I hate the taste of Dill Pickles and avoid them always. However, if my legs were cramping in awful pain at night, I probably would give it a try.
Have no clue if it will work or not but if you try it, let us know.

D

Last edited by doyle on 2/17/21 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acts-celerate Owner
2/16/21 10:18 pm

Post It will also... roughridercog
Get a fish bone out of your throat. It softens it and it goes down quickly.
2/17/21 7:27 am

Post Athletes use this method. Aaron Scott
Also, if you brine a chicken breast in pickle juice, then flour it and cook it, you will be getting very close to a Chick-fil-A. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/17/21 8:32 am

Post Mustard Does the Same Thing! FG Minister
My uncle keeps packs of mustard on his night stand. When he gets leg cramps, he eats a tube of mustard. The cramps are gone in a couple of minutes. Acts-celerater
2/17/21 1:04 pm

Post Plain ole yellow mustard? doyle
Not honey mustard? Just plain ole yellow mustard for leg cramps? Wow.
2/17/21 2:23 pm

Post DPJ. doyle
Dr. Berg says Dill Pickle juice is great for heartburn and PMS too. Who knew DPJ is a miracle drug?
2/17/21 2:26 pm

Post Link
I like pickles, but drinking the juice straight is a bit much. It seems a rather extreme way to get some salt into your system so you don't have cramps.

I am not a medical doctor, but I played one on TV, but I am a doctor of sorts because I have a Ph.D.

However, it is not in this area. So I will share my lowly layman's understanding of this.

I think cramps could be caused by a deficiency of certain salts and other minerals. Table salt is one of them. Other minerals like this might be found in a bottle of Gatorade or Powerade. I also seem to recall that calcium might help.

When I was in high school, there was this guy who was about 20 who had dropped out who came back to finish up. He was overweight. I remember he was Baptist and wanted to be a preacher. I saw him opening packets of salt and pouring them into something to drink and asked him what that was about. If I recall correctly, his friends were eating salt, too. He said he had a problem with cramps.

I have had tight muscles on occasion and have made sure to consume some salt and a multi-vitamin so as not to get cramps. If I had a problem with this, I would take salt, a B complex vitamin, and calcium. My body doesn't process all the B vitamins that well, so I would not take a B complex every day for me personally. Gatorade, Powerade (or a can of Pocari Sweat for those in Asia) plus a multi-vitamin should do the trick.

I would stretch the muscle before going to bed, too. I also have this back massager thing, one of those big hand-held ones. That is good for calf massages. I did wake up at the start of a leg cramp once. That was buy the bed plugged in. I managed to get that thing on the calf muscle before the cramp fully developed. But this was once in a year, and I didn't notice tightness before. I might have had this right after I started working out after too long of a hiatus.

If you have concerns about leg cramps Doyle, maybe you should stop taking it easy on the sodium. If your doctor has told you to cut back due to heart issues, that is one thing. But we need salt in our diet. Based on what little reading I have done, the concern about sodium seems overblown, based on some light evidence in the 1950's. I read the effects are about 1% of blood pressure. It might be an issue for a heart condition, but our bodies need salt to survive.

I had a co-worker who was probably about 30. She was overweight and occasionally had low blood pressure. She said she was trying to cut back on the sugar and the sodium. I said I understood cutting back on the sugar, but if she didn't have a heart condition, why cut back on the sodium. She said she'd passed out from _low_ blood pressure, and doctors were concerned that sodium might _raise_ blood pressure.

Water weight gain might be an issue if someone's weight gets to a certain point. That's usually an issue women are concerned about. But for someone who is thin or who hasn't noticed issues with water weight gain or heart conditions, why should sodium be an issue?

My lay person's understanding is that a lack of salt may be one reason cramps may occur.

While typing though, I decided to search the issue, and it turns out there may be some research that indicates that acidity can relax muscles while a cramp is going on: https://www.doctorshealthpress.com/food-and-nutrition-articles/drinking-pickle-juice-for-cramps-harvard-approved-salty-solution/

I might have to add something that tastes good with vinegar in it or on it that isn't gross to my approach to handling leg cramps, above. I'd rather eat a pickle than actually drink the juice. Vinegar in fruit juice can be really delicious. I found that out on a trip to China and found some drinks like that in the Korean stores. You can mix them yourself with your own vinegar, but they do not taste good without a lot of sugar.
Acts-perienced Poster
2/18/21 9:08 am

Post I've been doing it wrong... Aaron Scott
I was under the impression that TOO MUCH SALT caused cramps. So when I get cramps, I might eat a banana or two...or, faster, take two or three potassium pills.

I thought the problem was a shortage of potassium, not a shortage of salt.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/19/21 11:51 am

Post Re: I've been doing it wrong... Link
Aaron Scott wrote:
I was under the impression that TOO MUCH SALT caused cramps. So when I get cramps, I might eat a banana or two...or, faster, take two or three potassium pills.

I thought the problem was a shortage of potassium, not a shortage of salt.

Potassium. I forgot to mention bananas for cramps. Also, coconut water is a good source. That is one of the ingredients in Gatorade and similar drinks that may help.

That nasty stale white stuff that Americans put on their German Chocolate cakes and Baby Ruth bars also has potassium. But I do not recommend desiccated coconut (desecrated coconut) if you ask me, because it tastes nasty and stale. I thought I hated coconut until I ate the real thing. Young coconut right out of the shell is nice.
Acts-perienced Poster
2/19/21 12:25 pm

Post Link
doyle wrote:
A Pastor friend's wife was suffering with terrible leg cramps at night; the awful kind that brought cries of pain and tears many nights. Medication had reduced the number of incidents but they still came a couple of times each week.

Shortly before she retired as an Elementary School Teacher, she shared about her painful leg cramps with a fellow teacher who is Asian. The Asian lady said that in her home country, there are amazing home remedies including one for leg cramps.

"Buy a jar of Dill Pickles," she said. "Eat the Pickles if you want, but be sure to drink at least a half cup of pickle juice every day. There are people in my family whose leg cramps stopped after a week or so of drinking pickle juice each day."

According to my Pastor friend's wife, she started drinking some Dill Pickle juice each day and in about a week and a half, her leg cramps stopped. I asked Google if Dill Pickle juice helped leg cramps and was totally shocked to
see there has been some success with it.

WARNING: The first link is a video by Dr. Berg. He warns not to buy pickle juice with added chemicals in it. Only drink the pure stuff he says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79Q_EUDlfEY

https://www.doctorshealthpress.com/food-and-nutrition-articles/drinking-pickle-juice-for-cramps-harvard-approved-salty-solution/

BECAUSE SO MANY SUFFER from horrible leg cramps, I'm passing along what she said yesterday when I was in their home. Disclaimer: I am not invested in a Dill Pickle farm, do not own stock in a Dill Pickle company, have no family or relatives who do.

Basically, I hate the taste of Dill Pickles and avoid them always. However, if my legs were cramping in awful pain at night, I probably would give it a try.
Have no clue if it will work or not but if you try it, let us know.

D

That sounds like an awful way to get a little salt in your system to prevent leg cramps. I'm not sure what's in the dill. I would not think that vinegar has much to do with it.

I'm not a medical doctor, but I'd go for gatorade-- anything designed to replace sweat. One of those ingredients is salt. I might also take a B-complex if I were having that problem. I think calcium might also help. If it were me, and I'd do an achilles tendon stretch before going to bed. I would drink a lot of water, too. I'd have a back massager type massager by the bed, plugged in, one that would work on leg cramps.
Acts-perienced Poster
2/19/21 1:41 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
My wife and I have lost a combined total of 145 pounds (me 115, her 30) over the past 16 months by following a ketogenic diet. One of the side effects of keto, especially at first, is that you lose a lot of electrolytes, and often get cramps in the feet and legs. We have found that pickle juice really helps in the midst of a cramp, but for prevention of cramps altogether, taking daily supplements of magnesium and potassium is essential. We also both drink about a gallon of water per day to stay well hydrated on keto. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/19/21 11:53 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic