Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

GOING OUT ON TOP? Perfect Moment for Brady (or a Pastor) to Retire?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post GOING OUT ON TOP? Perfect Moment for Brady (or a Pastor) to Retire? Aaron Scott
This is very likely the pinnacle moment for Tom Brady. Nothing makes the case for him being The G.O.A.T (Greatest of All Time) like leaving one of the most dominant teams for the last 20 years...and them suddenly sinking to a losing record their first year without him.

Add to that the equal argument that the Bucs, who hadn't been to the Super Bowl in over a decade, go straight to the top in Brady's first year with them.

So...should he retire now?

I am of two minds--as are most pastors, when it comes to retirement:

1) Brady can clearly still get the job done, so why should he retire?

2) If Brady continues playing, it is very possible that next year will not be as successful. This year was Cinderella...next year may not be. And if he plays and has a lesser year, he will still be the GOAT, but he will not have retired at the top.

I call this the "Heavyweight Champion Syndrome." A great fighter wins the championship, successfully defending it time after time. But then he loses a match. He feels that he still has the ability to be the champion, so he now prepares more than ever. He fights again, he may even win. But in the next fight--or the one after that--he loses again. Then again. Perhaps even again.

Now, he is in a "sad decline." Yes, he'll be remembered as a great boxer, but he will not go out on top.

I think many pastors, facing retirement, hit a similar spot. They could go out on top, but why in the world would they stop then, since they can clearly do good work?

Eventually, as always, new problems arise. This time, though, the pastor is damaged. Maybe he feels betrayed. Maybe feelings are hurt. Whatever.

And NOW if he retires, he retires under a bit of a shadow.

And yet he would have retired at a much better moment had he known he should have.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/8/21 9:15 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic