Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

How in the world can you sit there unmoved???

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post How in the world can you sit there unmoved??? Aaron Scott
There are 42 different sounds in the English language, yet we have only 26 letters!

To sit there unmoved is EXACTLY LIKE wanting the Bible to stay written in Latin only. I'm surprised some of you are even saved!

This not only makes it more difficult, I think, for the illiterate to learn the English language (since they have to decode what way this or that letter or combination is supposed to sound), but it makes it difficult, I would think, for foreigners to speak English.

Somebody needs to get busy--Jesus is coming!
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/22/21 2:32 pm

Post Cojak
I walked about 1900 miles on the AT. I listened to tapes on Spanish to learn the language. Some of it actually made sense and was simple, but I learned to greet someone and count to 100. Now I have forgotten that.
I can understand how frustrated someone would be learning English. As a matter of fact I wish I could speak and write it correctly. MY WIFE KNOWS EVERY RULE AND TENSE. It looks like as many times as I have been corrected I would know it, BUT I DON'T......

Are you saying someone can fix ENGLISH? I hope so. Ain't no sense in 'em tenses and stuff as long as someone knows what you said. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/22/21 8:19 pm

Post georgiapath
Cojak wrote:
I walked about 1900 miles on the AT. I listened to tapes on Spanish to learn the language. Some of it actually made sense and was simple, but I learned to greet someone and count to 100. Now I have forgotten that.
I can understand how frustrated someone would be learning English. As a matter of fact I wish I could speak and write it correctly. MY WIFE KNOWS EVERY RULE AND TENSE. It looks like as many times as I have been corrected I would know it, BUT I DON'T......

Are you saying someone can fix ENGLISH? I hope so. Ain't no sense in 'em tenses and stuff as long as someone knows what you said. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Acts-dicted
1/24/21 9:32 am

Post Cojak... Aaron Scott
That will be Step Two.

As soon as we make sure each of the 42 "letters" has one sound and one sound only, then we'll get busy on tenses and other stuff.
1/25/21 10:15 am

Post Re: How in the world can you sit there unmoved??? Link
Aaron Scott wrote:
There are 42 different sounds in the English language, yet we have only 26 letters!

To sit there unmoved is EXACTLY LIKE wanting the Bible to stay written in Latin only. I'm surprised some of you are even saved!

This not only makes it more difficult, I think, for the illiterate to learn the English language (since they have to decode what way this or that letter or combination is supposed to sound), but it makes it difficult, I would think, for foreigners to speak English.

Somebody needs to get busy--Jesus is coming!

What is your point? What do you want people to do? Change our languages lousy spelling system before Jesus comes back?

By the way, languages that are written exactly as they are pronounced are just horrific. Go study Sanskrit if you do not believe me. English has terrible spelling, but if you go completely phonetic, it isn't good either. It is good if some of your phonemes-- which carry meaning--are reflected in a standard spelling system. People in different parts of the world pronounce the same word differently, also.
Acts-perienced Poster
1/25/21 10:22 am

Post LINK...do I seem like someone who wants to be bothered with the facts?? Aaron Scott
NO!

Bad spelling, schmad schpelling. Bah!

We're trying to do something for humanity, and all you want to do is spout facts...as if that should change people's minds!
1/26/21 10:52 am

Post Link
I still do not know what your point is or what you want people to do with the English language before Jesus comes back.

Languages that are purely phonetic are awful to learn, or at least Sanskrit is. You get some advantages with sight-word vocabulary if words communicate phonemes, not just phonetics. 'Takes' is spelled with an 's' at the end. So is 'cords'. But one is pronounced as an 's' and another as a 'z'. We also have dialects and words are pronounced differently. Are we supposed to spell English with British pronunciation.
Acts-perienced Poster
1/26/21 11:51 pm

Post LINK... Aaron Scott
Link wrote:
I still do not know what your point is or what you want people to do with the English language before Jesus comes back.

Languages that are purely phonetic are awful to learn, or at least Sanskrit is. You get some advantages with sight-word vocabulary if words communicate phonemes, not just phonetics. 'Takes' is spelled with an 's' at the end. So is 'cords'. But one is pronounced as an 's' and another as a 'z'. We also have dialects and words are pronounced differently. Are we supposed to spell English with British pronunciation.

Clearly, you are a serial killer.

As for doing things the "English" way--NO WAY! They can't even spell "center"--spelling it "centre." They also drive on the wrong side of the road and put their steering wheels on the wrong side of the car. Further, they were the very ones that we had to defeat to become America!

Wake up, America!
1/27/21 10:30 am

Post And another thing! Aaron Scott
Neither did the English help us when we were fighting against the British in the Revolutionary War and in the War of 1812!

The Spanish and the French were johnny-on-the-spot, but the English were helping the British!
1/28/21 12:02 pm

Post Re: And another thing! Link
Aaron Scott wrote:
the English were helping the British!

In the context of the 18th century, this comment makes no sense. They were helping themselves?
Acts-perienced Poster
1/28/21 5:37 pm

Post Link... Aaron Scott
Link wrote:
Aaron Scott wrote:

In the context of the 18th century, this comment makes no sense. They were helping themselves?

OK, fine--maybe it was the British who were helping the English. I probably got it backwards because they drive backwards--or maybe it's on the wrong side of the road. SEE? YOU'VE GOTTEN ME ALL CONFUSED BY ASKING QUESTIONS!

I want you to publicly state--for the record, that you are not a serial killer--or even a non-serial killer. I'm on to you, and the only think keeping me safe is my pen name (my real name is...Nancy).
1/29/21 11:47 am

Post Re: Link... Link
Aaron Scott wrote:
Link wrote:
Aaron Scott wrote:

OK, fine--maybe it was the British who were helping the English. I probably got it backwards because they drive backwards--or maybe it's on the wrong side of the road. SEE? YOU'VE GOTTEN ME ALL CONFUSED BY ASKING QUESTIONS!

I want you to publicly state--for the record, that you are not a serial killer--or even a non-serial killer. I'm on to you, and the only think keeping me safe is my pen name (my real name is...Nancy).

I used to wipe out lots of cereal when I was a kid, two bowls in one sitting sometimes. But I've been trying to do low carb recently, so I rarely eat any cereal.
Acts-perienced Poster
1/30/21 12:45 pm

Post Cojak
Just for the record, you both are certifiable!!!!
The padded room is waiting! Twisted Evil
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/30/21 9:01 pm

Post Link... Aaron Scott
A man who will make a pun will surely do any other dastardly thing.

And another thing, consider that in hoity-toity English, the world CLARITY means the same things as the non-world CLEARITY.

See? I'm telling you it's a conspiracy, but all you are doing is talking about Cheerios.
2/2/21 9:07 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic