Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

DEBATE: Were Confederate soldiers traitors?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post DEBATE: Were Confederate soldiers traitors? Aaron Scott
What say you? Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
12/21/20 12:37 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
I personally don't think secessionism is treason. Treachery is a betrayal of trust. Northerners who secretly worked to advance the Confederacy would be traitors, as would southerners who covertly worked for the United States. But I don't think secessionism in general aligns with the definition of treason.

Fighting to overthrow your government could be treasonous, but to my knowledge the CSA didn't want to plant a flag in Washington, DC. They just wanted to separate so they could own human beings as property in peace.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/21/20 12:53 pm

Post Were colonists traitors in the 1700's? caseyleejones
Just wondering.... Acts-perienced Poster
12/21/20 1:22 pm

Post Re: Were colonists traitors in the 1700's? Dave Dorsey
caseyleejones wrote:
Just wondering....

I think there's a stronger case for this. They were fighting against their own country with the intent of seizing land claimed by that country.

Of course, I'm glad they did.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/21/20 1:30 pm

Post Re: DEBATE: Were Confederate soldiers traitors? skinnybishop
Aaron Scott wrote:
What say you?

No.
12/21/20 1:37 pm

Post Cojak
I don't think so. I wish someone could have worked out some kind of compromise. We killed more Americans in that war than any other.

My heart breaks when I hear someone says, "We need to do it again!"

Anyway No. Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/21/20 2:24 pm

Post I say no. Aaron Scott
Every time I read some such foolishness (occasionally in the New York Times), I try to let them know that, nope, the South SECEDED from the Union before a shot was fired.

We are traitors in the same sense that Americans were traitors to Britain when we took up arms against them.

Of course, our philosophy was based on John Locke's, who said that if a government does not protect your God-given rights, then a people are free to overthrow that government and install a new one. I'm not sure it was as bad as all that, though. I figure there was some people who just wanted to not have Britain be their boss, so they found ways to influence the people that they were being horribly mistreated, etc.

The South felt the same way: That their God-given rights to life, liberty, and property (which is actually what Locke said) was being undercut by the government. YES, that sprang from the issue of slavery, even though slavery was not the only issue in play. But for those times and understandings, it seemed to the South that the North was trying to control what they did with their property. (NOTE: The North was NOT trying to end slavery, but was against it spreading anywhere else.)

So unless someone can show that the Americans were traitors by leaving Britain, they can't make the case for the South being traitorous.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
12/21/20 2:41 pm

Post Re: I say no. skinnybishop
Aaron Scott wrote:
Every time I read some such foolishness (occasionally in the New York Times), I try to let them know that, nope, the South SECEDED from the Union before a shot was fired.

We are traitors in the same sense that Americans were traitors to Britain when we took up arms against them.

Of course, our philosophy was based on John Locke's, who said that if a government does not protect your God-given rights, then a people are free to overthrow that government and install a new one. I'm not sure it was as bad as all that, though. I figure there was some people who just wanted to not have Britain be their boss, so they found ways to influence the people that they were being horribly mistreated, etc.

The South felt the same way: That their God-given rights to life, liberty, and property (which is actually what Locke said) was being undercut by the government. YES, that sprang from the issue of slavery, even though slavery was not the only issue in play. But for those times and understandings, it seemed to the South that the North was trying to control what they did with their property. (NOTE: The North was NOT trying to end slavery, but was against it spreading anywhere else.)

So unless someone can show that the Americans were traitors by leaving Britain, they can't make the case for the South being traitorous.

Some would argue that the South's attack on Ft. Sumter was treason. "They fired on a government installation" etc.

There are a couple of problems with that:

First, that is EXACTLY what Lincoln wanted. He is as responsible for the attack as anyone.

Second, if attacking a government installation is treason, then what about barricading off an entire city block, in Seattle? Or attacking police cars, or police officers?
12/22/20 7:44 am

Post Link
The government had stronger states rights back then. People thought of themselves more as citizens of South Carolina or Georgia than they do today. The country is called the United STATES of America after all, and these Confederates were loyal to the state. Armies were organized by state. Obviously, they got rid of that later. Acts-perienced Poster
12/22/20 9:09 am

Post Re: I say no. Aaron Scott
skinnybishop wrote:
Aaron Scott wrote:

Some would argue that the South's attack on Ft. Sumter was treason. "They fired on a government installation" etc.

There are a couple of problems with that:

First, that is EXACTLY what Lincoln wanted. He is as responsible for the attack as anyone.

Second, if attacking a government installation is treason, then what about barricading off an entire city block, in Seattle? Or attacking police cars, or police officers?

About Ft. Sumter....

It was on South Carolina land. So long as SC was part of the Union, that was perfectly acceptable. But upon seceding, that land was being held by, for all intents and purposes, a foreign power. AND they had been given time to evacuate, etc.
12/22/20 9:27 am

Post THESE United States vs. THE United States Aaron Scott
Link wrote:
The government had stronger states rights back then. People thought of themselves more as citizens of South Carolina or Georgia than they do today. The country is called the United STATES of America after all, and these Confederates were loyal to the state. Armies were organized by state. Obviously, they got rid of that later.

I read an interesting statement about how prior to the Civil War, we referred to ourselves as THESE United States--a group of sovereign countries, I guess you could say, who were bound together by a treaty of some sort. In fact, on the Lewis and Clark expedition, they told the Indians of the "17 great nations" (I believe that was the phrasing) that sent their respects, etc.

But AFTER the Civil War, we called ourselves THE United States, changing our views from being a group of united "nations" to a single nation.
12/22/20 9:30 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic