Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

New York Times 1953...Church of God

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post New York Times 1953...Church of God Aaron Scott
https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1953/08/27/84050988.pdf?pdf_redirect=true&ip=0

If you cannot access the link, it was about Homer Tomlinson wanting to create a third branch of the Church of God in order to reunify the COGOP (led by his brother, Milton) and what was called the "Full Gospel Church of God," led by Zeno Tharp (a former GO).

I did not know that we were once called the "Full Gospel" Church of God.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
12/17/20 9:45 am

Post Re: New York Times 1953...Church of God Mat
Aaron Scott wrote:
https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1953/08/27/84050988.pdf?pdf_redirect=true&ip=0

If you cannot access the link, it was about Homer Tomlinson wanting to create a third branch of the Church of God in order to reunify the COGOP (led by his brother, Milton) and what was called the "Full Gospel Church of God," led by Zeno Tharp (a former GO).

I did not know that we were once called the "Full Gospel" Church of God.

Aaron,

I don't subscribe to the NYTs, and I tried downloading the picture so I could enlarge it, but still could not read it. While I don't want to subscribe to the NYTs, I really want to read this article. By 1953 the lawsuits brought against the COG (Tomlinson) by the COG (Elders) was settled, with the judge ruling the name "Church of God of Prophecy" would have to be used for business purposes (you guys always have had a gift for lawsuits), but for religious purposes the name "Church of God" could be used.

Homer was still not too happy he was not selected to take his father's (A. J. Tomlinson) place, and had pursued various means (including going to court) to try and remove his brother (Milton), or undermine his selection using such arguments such as "the firstborn son" as a Biblical standard. Most of all, Homer was very good at using the media, though in retrospect, he made himself an oddity - a preacher running for president 3 time as leader of the Theocratic Party (Pat Robertson should have learned from Homer), proclaiming himself king of the world as he visited various nations(well, we are all kings and priest, right?), and towards the end of his life moving his world headquarters to Jerusalem (at least saying he would - wait, Jerusalem as a capital?).

In the end, Homer's younger, and quite spoken, brother was a more stabilizing leader, but oversaw the COGOP's expansion and development. After Homer died, his version/vision of The Church of God (Jamaica, NY) fragmented quickly. The legacy of Homer would have stayed in the realm of ridiculous religion, but as I said in another place, some of the preachers who have tried to put-on-a-show" during this election and pandemic year may just make Homer look mainstream (well, not quick as much an outlier anyway).

I will be looking for the full article online. Thanks for posting.

Mat

PS Homer was right about one thing, the COG and COGOP should reconcile under COG leadership.
Acts Enthusiast
12/17/20 10:53 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Mat, I might be able to help you read this article. Is the email address in your profile a good one for you? [Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/18/20 10:11 am

Post Thanks ... Mat
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Mat, I might be able to help you read this article. Is the email address in your profile a good one for you?

Thanks, but I was able to get it through other sources. There's not much to go on, but I will say Homer knew good and well that in the states it was "Church of God" not "Full Gospel Church of God." I thought he may have had the separate "colored" work the COG operated, but not sure if that's the case. Not sure why the story was covered in Nashville by the U.P. and picked up by NYT, other than Homer had a way of getting press.

His reference to the 20 year legal battle with his brother for control of the COGOP is more from his point of view than his brother's or the COGOP.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
12/18/20 1:45 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic