Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

OK, you have two magnets...

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post OK, you have two magnets... Aaron Scott
Let's give the magnetic pull/push of each a number....

One magnet has an attraction of 10. If the other magnet has a repulsion of 10, they would not connect (just go with me on this).

My question is this: If one magnet has, say, a 100 attraction, but the other has a 50 repulsion...will these magnets be held together as tightly as if the second magnet had a zero repulsion?

This is all important stuff--that will be used to construct a time machine.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/19/20 1:54 pm

Post Cojak
yes, xxx=E---M(CxC)
There is a much longer formula, but you get the same results, mass confusion due to covid19.99999. Shocked Shocked Shocked Embarassed Embarassed Evil or Very Mad
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/20/20 8:50 pm

Post Cojak... Aaron Scott
I'm pretty sure you just made up a "formula" (probably the key to time travel), but on the other hand, you might be being serious! Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/21/20 6:44 am

Post Newton's 3rd Law .....forces are equal and opposite.... caseyleejones
cannot break a law like that.... Acts-perienced Poster
10/21/20 7:40 pm

Post Re: Cojak... Cojak
Aaron Scott wrote:
I'm pretty sure you just made up a "formula" (probably the key to time travel), but on the other hand, you might be being serious!

Embarassed Smile Smile

PS: Sorry about being confused. I have do leave Florida and return to NC for a few days, that messes up your mind..... Shocked Confused
10/21/20 7:42 pm

Post The Little Fat Pig
Your question is based on a misconception, that magnets possess an 'attraction' or a 'repulsion'. Magnets possess polarity. Opposite polarities attract each other. Similar polarities repel each other.

If the magnets are opposite poles, then neither of them has a 'repulsion'. They can only possess an attraction for each other.

If the magnets are similar poles, then neither of them has an 'attraction'. They can only possess a repulsion for each other.

It is impossible for one magnet to attract another while the second magnet is exerting any force of repulsion. Either both will attract or both will repel. To posit a scenario where Magnet 1 is the opposite polarity as Magnet 2 (thus making it attract) but where Magnet 2 has the same polarity as Magnet 1 (thus making it repel) is to deny one of the most fundamental principles of logic.

So, increasing the 'attraction' of the first magnet to 10 cannot overcome the 'repulsion' of the second magnet. Making the first magnet more powerful will only push a magnet of similar polarity away even more powerfully. This is the principle behind the operation of Maglev trains.
Acts-celerater
10/22/20 2:47 am

Post Re: OK, you have two magnets... Link
Aaron Scott wrote:

One magnet has an attraction of 10. If the other magnet has a repulsion of 10, they would not connect (just go with me on this).

My question is this: If one magnet has, say, a 100 attraction, but the other has a 50 repulsion...will these magnets be held together as tightly as if the second magnet had a zero repulsion?

As far as I know, if one side of a magnet repels a side of another magnet, that other magnet repels it too. As far as I know, one isn't going to pull the other if the other is pushing against it. Positive repels positive.
Acts-perienced Poster
10/29/20 9:10 am

Post Re: OK, you have two magnets... georgiapath
Aaron Scott wrote:

Are you bored this afternoon? Don't you know the sky is falling? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Acts-dicted
11/8/20 1:58 pm

Post Re: OK, you have two magnets... Cojak
georgiapath wrote:
Aaron Scott wrote:

Are you bored this afternoon? Don't you know the sky is falling? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Smile Smile Smile
11/8/20 7:32 pm

Post Re: OK, you have two magnets... Cojak
sorry a double post. The sky is falling causing me a very slow cell signal here in Florida. I am ver anxious at this time. Us old folk have things on our minds...
11/8/20 7:32 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic