Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Glory Clouds and Feeling God's Presence

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Glory Clouds and Feeling God's Presence Link
There are a lot of experiences Christians claim to have that I do not condemn or oppose. I am not against the idea of a cloud appearing in a church meeting, or even teeth turning to gold or gold dust. But especially with the last two, I don't really see that in the Bible, and I don't exactly see how it connects with the types of miracles done in the Bible, so I am not really excited about these things. I don't feel confident to promote them, teach believers to seek gold dust, etc.

As far as clouds appearing, that happened in the temple, but it's not something I see encouraged in the New Testament, so it's not an idea I would promote or try to encourage others to seek.

Repentance and putting our faith in Christ are a lot more 'core' to our faith than these things. There is also a lot in scripture about healing, and there are specific teachings on gifts of the spirit. I would encourage people to covet to prophesy because the Bible teaches that.

I also notice that some groups of Pentecostals and Charismatics really emphasize feeling or sensing God's presence in a church meeting. While, experientially, I can understand that, and while it might be loosely related to the glory cloud passage at the dedication of the first temple, it's not something I am really excited about promoting. I read a post where someone said if you can't sense God's presence, you aren't a Christian. I don't agree with that sort of thinking.

Some people come to a church meeting emotionally drained and if they don't feel anything, they can believe Christ's words, 'behold I am with you always....' I don't see a lot of emphasis on feeling a certain way in our meetings, except that the Bible teaches Christians to rejoice. The Old Testament says to rejoice also and various other things along those lines, in Psalms presumably sung in gatherings of God's people. But I don't see this emphasis on feeling God's presence emphasized in the New Testament, so like glory clouds and gold dust, it's not something I would want to put a lot of emphasis on.

ANy thoughts?
Acts-perienced Poster
10/18/20 10:25 pm

Post Re: Glory Clouds and Feeling God's Presence skinnybishop
Link wrote:
There are a lot of experiences Christians claim to have that I do not condemn or oppose. I am not against the idea of a cloud appearing in a church meeting, or even teeth turning to gold or gold dust. But especially with the last two, I don't really see that in the Bible, and I don't exactly see how it connects with the types of miracles done in the Bible, so I am not really excited about these things. I don't feel confident to promote them, teach believers to seek gold dust, etc.

As far as clouds appearing, that happened in the temple, but it's not something I see encouraged in the New Testament, so it's not an idea I would promote or try to encourage others to seek.

Repentance and putting our faith in Christ are a lot more 'core' to our faith than these things. There is also a lot in scripture about healing, and there are specific teachings on gifts of the spirit. I would encourage people to covet to prophesy because the Bible teaches that.

I also notice that some groups of Pentecostals and Charismatics really emphasize feeling or sensing God's presence in a church meeting. While, experientially, I can understand that, and while it might be loosely related to the glory cloud passage at the dedication of the first temple, it's not something I am really excited about promoting. I read a post where someone said if you can't sense God's presence, you aren't a Christian. I don't agree with that sort of thinking.

Some people come to a church meeting emotionally drained and if they don't feel anything, they can believe Christ's words, 'behold I am with you always....' I don't see a lot of emphasis on feeling a certain way in our meetings, except that the Bible teaches Christians to rejoice. The Old Testament says to rejoice also and various other things along those lines, in Psalms presumably sung in gatherings of God's people. But I don't see this emphasis on feeling God's presence emphasized in the New Testament, so like glory clouds and gold dust, it's not something I would want to put a lot of emphasis on.

ANy thoughts?

I can tell you this. ONCE I witnessed a manifestation of God's presence that I could see. ONCE. People can laugh if they want....but I personally witnessed this in 1994:

I was a student at Abraham Baldwin College in Tifton, GA. I was attending a service, on a Wednesday night, at the First Assembly of God. The worship was tremendous, and seemed to grow more and more intense, as time passed. At one point, I looked up and the room seemed to be filled with a bluish haze. Like blue smoke. We were standing up singing, and then people started to spontaneously sink to their knees. It was like a weight from above that was gently sending people to their knees.

I believe we witnessed the glory of God. People can believe it or not.....I was there and saw it myself.
10/19/20 10:06 am

Post Da Sheik
Too many people have an OT concept of God and the Holy Spirit. The Jews are the people of signs, not the Church. The latter part of Mark 16 doesn’t even appear in the older manuscripts. But even if we consider it canonical it states that signs follow believers, not the other way around. Believers don’t have to go to Temple, synagogues, or even church facilities to experience the Holy Spirit. Every day we have access to the Holiest by the blood of Jesus. It’s incredible if you think about it ! Acts Enthusiast
10/23/20 12:05 pm

Post Cojak
Da Sheik wrote:
Too many people have an OT concept of God and the Holy Spirit. The Jews are the people of signs, not the Church. The latter part of Mark 16 doesn’t even appear in the older manuscripts. But even if we consider it canonical it states that signs follow believers, not the other way around. Believers don’t have to go to Temple, synagogues, or even church facilities to experience the Holy Spirit. Every day we have access to the Holiest by the blood of Jesus. It’s incredible if you think about it !
Cool Thumb Up
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/26/20 10:59 am

Post I have seen Gods glory in physical form roughridercog
I didn't chase or seek the experience or manifestation, but was awed as I just experienced the cloud of His glory.
10/27/20 7:23 am

Post Carolyn Smith
I've never seen a glory cloud or gold dust, but I think feeling the presence of the Lord is definitely something we should experience fairly regularly. I don't mean you have to run around the church, but when we worship Him, we should have a sense of His presence. It seems to me that when the miracles in Acts were taking place, they seemed to feel God's presence or at least joy...when the lame man was healed, he was leaping and jumping and praising God. On the day of Pentecost...when Peter was miraculously let out of prison. And they felt something on the Day of Pentecost or they wouldn't have been accused of being drunk.

Of course, it's not all about feelings, because our feelings (emotions) will lie to us, but I'd be worried if I didn't feel God's presence every now and then...
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/27/20 10:45 pm

Post Link
Is there anything in New Testament about feeling God's presence? The Old Testament? Acts-perienced Poster
10/28/20 5:09 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Link wrote:
Is there anything in New Testament about feeling God's presence? The Old Testament?

So the things I mentioned in Acts don't count?
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/28/20 8:05 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic