Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Now that Trump announced he has COVID-19

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Now that Trump announced he has COVID-19 Link
If something happens, who could be the successor to be the nominee this close to an election? Does anyone know the GOP rules?

I'm praying for a miraculous healing that gives glory to Christ.
Acts-perienced Poster
10/2/20 7:39 am

Post The Process FG Minister
If a candidate dies before the general election but after they've secured their party's nomination, it's a relatively simple fix: The deceased candidate's party picks a replacement (who may or may not be the vice presidential candidate from the ticket), and that replacement is on the ballot on Election Day. Both the Republican and the Democratic parties have rules about how their parties would fill the vacancy.

If a candidate dies after the general election, it gets more complicated. If a candidate dies between the popular vote and the meeting of the Electoral College the parties follow the same process to fill the vacancy on the ticket. If the candidate that dies is on the winning ticket, it's still the party's responsibility to provide a new candidate their electors could vote into office.
But here, the political implications are more serious because it takes some of the power away from the people; they don't get to vote again. The replacement candidate's name goes on the Electoral College ballot only, and their political party expects its electors to vote the replacement candidate into office.

There's no federal law saying the electors have to vote for the new candidate. Theoretically, if the candidate to whom they pledged their votes dies and their party doesn't name a preferred successor, electors could vote for the party's VP candidate, a third-party candidate or a leading contender within their own party. But state laws vary on the matter.

If a President-Elect dies, rules of succession take over the VP-elect would be sworn in.
Acts-celerater
10/2/20 7:53 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Based on my understanding and what I have read, FG Minister's description of the various possibilities is completely correct. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/2/20 8:37 am

Post Link
There are states that require electors to vote a certain way, if that isn't overturned. But I think their federal level votes would have to be valid and if the states wanted to punish them, that might be a different issue.

I hope Trump can negotiate in a VP debate. It would be in the Dem's best interest not to do that. If Trump is concerned about his country, he should try to put Pence up front. Maybe he could let him handle the Press if Pence has the skill for that, instead of that blond lady he has doing it...who is quite good at handling the hostile room, IMO.

Pence needs more face time.

I hope Trump recovers quickly, heals miraculously, and that he and the FL do not show symptoms. He may take some malaria meds.
Acts-perienced Poster
10/2/20 8:59 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Pence needs to be in a protected location. There are major succession issues here that go way beyond the optics of an election.

The USAF had E-6Bs up on both coasts last night. The one on the east coast at least was apparently a pre-planned training mission, but it was good timing nevertheless. For those that don't know, E-6Bs are modified 707s that allow an in-air commander complete control of the country's nuclear forces in the event that ground control is disabled. The in-air commander has complete legal authority to initiate nuclear strikes.

There is more going on in this world than the presidential campaign. Pence does not need to be giving daily press briefings. He needs to be making sure he can discharge the duties of the presidency if, God forbid, it comes to that.

This isn't mutually exclusive with him participating via video in the VP debate next week. I hope he does do that. But that is far from the most important issue right now.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/2/20 11:24 am

Post If Trump MIGHT win... Aaron Scott
then Pence, being much nicer, but holding the same policies, might win in a landslide. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/2/20 12:59 pm

Post Cojak
The wife and I vote absentee each election. One year we voted in the primary just as soon as we got the ballots. In just a couple days the guy we voted for dropped out of the race, our vote was wasted.

I said that as a pointer, Today we received our absentee ballots. Of course Trump is on the Florida ballot for the slot as president. If the death of a candidate (or incapacitation) What would the voter do? What if the voter had already voted for the one who is no longer able to run, I assume the ballot cannot be returned.

Also I can see a scramble to get new ballots printed with a new name.

That all said, our ballots will not be sent in this time until a week before the election. Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/2/20 7:53 pm

Post Link
Cojak wrote:
The wife and I vote absentee each election. One year we voted in the primary just as soon as we got the ballots. In just a couple days the guy we voted for dropped out of the race, our vote was wasted.

I said that as a pointer, Today we received our absentee ballots. Of course Trump is on the Florida ballot for the slot as president. If the death of a candidate (or incapacitation) What would the voter do? What if the voter had already voted for the one who is no longer able to run, I assume the ballot cannot be returned.

Also I can see a scramble to get new ballots printed with a new name.

That all said, our ballots will not be sent in this time until a week before the election. Embarassed

That's the danger of mail in ballots. Trump should tell voters to hold off voting until later. I doubt he would plan around his own death for the election, but he should.
Acts-perienced Poster
10/3/20 1:46 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic